PDA

View Full Version : I'm so upset..mirena removal UPDATE POST #91- still MAD

My Sweet Blessings
06-16-2008, 01:45 PM
update post 91

I had medicaid coverage during my pregnancy with my 9 month old. After I had him, my doctor urged me to get the Mirena while still under Medicaid because they would cover it. She said if there were any problems, it would be covered. This was opposed to a new program in my state that helps yound women with birth control. They cover certain BC options for those that cant afford it. my doc said that if I went through that program, they dont cover as much and was very limited. it would be much better to get it done through medicaid at my post-op (c-section) appt so I did. Well, since its been in, Ive been uncomfortable here and there. everyone said give it a chance and you'll soon forget you have it. I have not. Its always a thought in my head and it feels uncomfortable. I want it out NOW! So, I call my doc's office to see about getting it removed. They tell me it will cost between $200 and $300 to remove it!!!!! I don't have that kind of money :cry: I sat there in complete shock and started to cry. I asked her what I was suppose to do since I cant afford that and she was like "I don't know". I am ticked and so upset because one of the reason's I agreed to the Mirena is because my doc told me if would be covered if I had problems iwth it. I am having problems and want it removed, but am being told it will cost me a few hundred bucks!!! They are sending a message back to my doc's nurse so she can call and talk to me. I dont know what I am going to do :goodvibes: I'd rip the stupid thing out if I didnt have this gut feeling its in a place it shouldnt be :cry: I just have had this lingering feeling that something is actually wrong in there :(

indysteffanie
06-16-2008, 01:47 PM
take it out yourself.

that is what i did

StacyW
06-16-2008, 01:47 PM
:hugs: I am having my own struggles with my son's medicaid right now....I hope you get it worked out:)

My Sweet Blessings
06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
take it out yourself.

that is what i did

Ive heard of people doing that and I would do it, but i have this terribly sinking feeling that its not like it should be. I just have a feeling that its imbedded into something it shouldnt be or jsut something is wrong. ive had the feeling for months. :(

JeDeeLenae
06-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Take it out yourself! There was a huge thread about it, I think in Sensitive Subjects. If I were in that position, that's what I'd do.

My Sweet Blessings
06-16-2008, 01:51 PM
:hugs: I am having my own struggles with my son's medicaid right now....I hope you get it worked out:)

JeDeeLenae
06-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Ive heard of people doing that and I would do it, but i have this terribly sinking feeling that its not like it should be. I just have a feeling that its imbedded into something it shouldnt be or jsut something is wrong. ive had the feeling for months. :(
oops, we posted at the same time. If you're worried, start saving up for it yourself. I wouldn't take it out myself if I thought it was imbedded in my uterus. How long have you had it now?

My Sweet Blessings
06-16-2008, 01:55 PM
I have had it about 7 months. My husband still gets poked by it on occassion.

MommaRalph
06-16-2008, 01:55 PM
I took mine out myself. I had lots of pain then ultrasound revealed that it had dislodged itself! Just give it a little tug. If it hurts - stop, you might be surprised (like me) and it might come on out! Good luck!

OneFabMama
06-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Can you try calling like Planned Parenthood or something, and seeing if they will do a removal for cheap (or free). That is what I would do if I thought it was in wrong. Good luck!

JeDeeLenae
06-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Oooh, those pesky wires that they're not supposed to feel? Yeah, that's what REALLY makes the IUD work, DH doesn't want to go in there after that...

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
06-16-2008, 02:18 PM
call planned parenthood like pp said ad see what they can do:hugs:

CarrieMF
06-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I'd wait & talk to your dr. The dr may know about something that the person you talked to doesn't.

My Sweet Blessings
06-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Can you try calling like Planned Parenthood or something, and seeing if they will do a removal for cheap (or free). That is what I would do if I thought it was in wrong. Good luck!

I would ask my in-laws to pay for the removal before I would set foot in a PP. Plus, the PP here doesnt have state funding so they aren't much cheaper than going a regular doc. They lost their state funding a few years ago.

I just got off the phone with my doc's nurse. My doc (of course) is out of the office today and tomorrow. She didnt know what to say. She asked who told me it would cost that much so I told her the checkout people that do the billing. I told her that my doc never mentioned the giant fee for removal and that the doc told me that it would be covered if there were problems. She asked if I told them that and I told her yes and that's why they sent message back to her. UGH. I would have never gotten this freaking thing had I known the cost to remove it. The nurse is going to talk with my doc on wednesday and call me back.

tillers72
06-16-2008, 02:26 PM
PP is a good choice, i know in Colorado they will take it out for $50 which is far less than $300

Bugaboo Bottoms
06-16-2008, 02:28 PM
If it's in wrong, that seems like it would be a medical problem and medicaid would have to cover it. Did they check it when you were in?

Bugaboo Bottoms
06-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Oh yeah, PP...I had my copper IUD removed there for around $50. They based it on income on a sliding scale.

My Sweet Blessings
06-16-2008, 02:55 PM
its never been checked at all. it was placed and that was that. i heard that you should have it checked a month or so aftyer its placed, but my doc never mentioned that.

our PP is different. most have state funding but our state does not. that skyrocketed their prices. i called them after my first was born to see about getting BC pills and their price for exams and such wasnt much cheaper than my obgyn

sourpatch_babe
06-16-2008, 03:09 PM
its never been checked at all. it was placed and that was that. i heard that you should have it checked a month or so aftyer its placed, but my doc never mentioned that.

our PP is different. most have state funding but our state does not. that skyrocketed their prices. i called them after my first was born to see about getting BC pills and their price for exams and such wasnt much cheaper than my obgyn

I hear ya, I had to pay over 100 bucks for a simple pap at the one close to me.

TwinKristi
06-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Can you still feel the strings and have you been checking them? I've had a different dr's office put in my IUD everytime (3x) and they all did it different. My last one gave me a card with dates of when to have it checked, when it went in, when it's up and I had to sign it and blablabla. The other 2x they didn't do that or ever check it again. The other 2x they expelled and this time it didn't! hahaha :thumbsup: Just FYI!

Anyway, if you can feel the strings and your SO can feel it when you DTD, then it probably is still in your cervix and not embedded or preforatted(sp) your uterus. Basically, if you want it out and your strings are still there, you just pull on them and the IUD will come out. If it's not where it's supposed to be than your strings won't be there. That's your dr's way to tell whether or not it's where it should be with the Mirena because they're even hard to find on an u/s! You have to have an u/s and have a Dr look at it b/c when I had an u/s when mine expelled and I got pregnant, the tech couldn't even tell if the IUD was still in place or not. She didn't think so, but she wasn't really 100% sure. And if you have scar tissue building up with the IUD if it's embedding, they would have a harder time seeing it then as well.
So there are no low cost clinics in your area at all that can check it out? Maybe the office has a payment plan or something, I mean, what if you have to have emergency surgery to have it removed, how would you pay for that without insurance?

Bugaboo Bottoms
06-16-2008, 03:19 PM
I'm assuming you still have medicaid? Can you not get in there and get it checked. Tell them that it is hurting and uncomfortable. That you think something is wrong so they can check it? I mean, if there is something wrong and it's in the wrong place, they will have to remove it for medical reasons. If it's in the right place, then you can remove it yourself.

My Sweet Blessings
06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I dont think I have medicaid, but I can I can call tomorrow and try to find out. that's a whole nother ordeal, though. its very hard to get answers from the medicaid people.

i have had to have surgery before without insurance. i had gallstones and had to have my gall bladder removed. the bill between the surgeon and the hospial was over $10,000. luc killy, the hospial where i had it done (tenessee - misplaced due to hurricane katrina) has a community care program for low income families. the hospial bill (about 5K) was covered by that. ive paid here and there with the surgeon and anesthesiologist. its a mess

i havent been checking cause i wasnt told to.. but my dh felt it about a week ago.

forsaken1216
06-16-2008, 04:46 PM
I have one and hate it, Dh can feel and I have cramps all the time. my little sister just had surgery to have hers renoved because it perforated her uterus and was lodged up by her ribs. If you think something is wrong even if it's just a feeling get it checked.

My Sweet Blessings
06-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I am hoping my doc has some good news for me on wednesday. I have got to figure this all out. I want it gone so bad. I tried to feel for the strings and only found one. I wouldnt pull it out without getting it checked, though, because of the cramoing and stuff. If I didnt fear something being wrong, Id yank that sucker out right now.

Mama_Lola
06-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Does your state have a Women's Health Program? Here in Texas we have a medicaid program for women - it provides checkups and birth control. You should call your health and human services office to see if it's available there.

My Sweet Blessings
06-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Does your state have a Women's Health Program? Here in Texas we have a medicaid program for women - it provides checkups and birth control. You should call your health and human services office to see if it's available there.

we have something similar thats like a year or so old. i asked my ob about going through them for the mirena and she suggested not doing that because they wont cover it if i have problems. so i am guessing they wont help me now? she told me that medicaid would cover it, so I am crossing my fingers that I can get in this week and get it out free of charge. if not, I am thinking I will see how much it would cost to have her check to see if its in the right place and fine in there. if so, i;kk rip that sucker out right there in her office. :giggle2: I am still ticked that I was told that it would be covered by medicaid if problems came up and the ladies in the billing/checkout dept didnt seem to think so. wednesday wont come soon enough for me!

JeanieNGmommy
06-17-2008, 12:15 AM
im in la as well and i had one put in and checked 2 weeks later. and i havent felt anything. i would keep trying to contact your dr to see whats going on. you shouldnt feel it

My Sweet Blessings
06-17-2008, 12:21 AM
im in la as well and i had one put in and checked 2 weeks later. and i havent felt anything. i would keep trying to contact your dr to see whats going on. you shouldnt feel it

my doc will be in on wednesday, so the nurse is going to talk to her then. I am going to call about 2 hours after open and start buggin em. :blush:

KaleidoscopeEyes
06-17-2008, 12:38 AM

DH still got poked after years. Completely normal.

KaleidoscopeEyes
06-17-2008, 12:40 AM
I would ask my in-laws to pay for the removal before I would set foot in a PP. Plus, the PP here doesnt have state funding so they aren't much cheaper than going a regular doc. They lost their state funding a few years ago.

Same here, how backward is that? They could care less if someone has an unwanted pregnancy.

My Sweet Blessings
06-17-2008, 07:56 PM
well, I got a talked to someone else in my doc's office today (they called me and left a voicemail so I called back). They said that I am not covered by medicaid right now (duh.. Im not pregnant anymore!). She said I could either pay to have it removed or call medicaid to try to work something out or see what they tell me. She said that sometimes medicaid is continued and sometimes its not. She said that removal would be covered if my medicaid continued. It was a very confusing phone call, but nothing got accomplished. I was quite miffed (and I was in the middle of whole foods but i didnt care who heard me) and was like "well, can I just ripped the freakin think out myself?" I think she was shocked I said that and said, "Uh, I wouldnt advice you do that. Let me talk to Dr. X in the morning." Then I said "well, how much owuld it cost me to have her look at it and make sure its in the right place and all is well and then I'll rip it out?" I think she started getting nervous with my threatening to just rip it out as I was ticked at this point and you could probably detect my desperation. SHe again said she would talk to Dr X and call me in the morning. ugh. I cant afford $200-$300 !!!.... plus it costs me $25-$30 round trip in gas to get there because she is a bit over an hour away. I loved this OBGYN. She handled my first pregnancy when I lived there. When I got pregnant the second time living where I am now, I loved her so much that I made that trip down there and gave birth down there so she could be my OBGYN. I've never had a problem before this! With all of this, I may end up finding a new OBGYN if we have a third baby :(

LoveSunshine
06-17-2008, 08:59 PM
*hugs* Mama, I'm in Southern Louisiana, too. I was in Hurricane Katrina as well so I'm sure we're somewhat neighbors. Call the local health clinic. Every parish has them. If you PM me, I'm sure I can help you find the numbers. They do birth control/removals/paps, etc, all on a sliding scale. It's basically a PP, but run by the state. They do the free vax for children there, many have the WIC unit built in as well.

SandyG
06-17-2008, 10:24 PM
goodluck tomorrow i hope doc can call you with some answers

booty hunter
06-17-2008, 11:45 PM
I bet the dr will do it for you so far you haven't talked to the one person who told you it was covered.If she was wrong I am sure she will just take it out for free.Hope you get it out soon.

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 10:11 AM
well, I got yet another call this morning from a nurse (so far, Ive dealth with unfamiliar nurses). She said the same thing "It's not covered it'll be $200-$300 bla bla bla" I asked how much it owuld be to get an office exam to check the mirena and was told $150-$200. If I got the exam and then decided to get the mirena out, it would be the $150-$200 PLUS the $200-$300, so it could cost up to $500 !!!! $500 to remove a device I didnt go in to get that day! My intention that day was to get my post-op checkup. I got the Mirena cause she kinda put me on the spot saying that if I wanted it covered by Medicaid and any complications covered, I needed to do it that day. I wanted to check into more options and go through the other program that helps women with birth control. SHe told me they "are very limited in their resourses and wouldn't cover any complications". So, obviously, I went with who would cover complications (btw, I consider this discomfort a complication cause it should NOT feel this way). I was so mad talking to her today. I asked her why I was lied to. She, of course, had no answer for that and asked if I wanted to leave a message with A, who is the docs right hand nurse and the one I've always dealth with with my pregnancies. She's increasingly gotten mean over the years, but she's one step closer to the doc. My next step will be to talk to the doc herself. She can guarantee I will not be her patient any longer after this mirena crap is out of me. That's sad, too. She is a fabulous OBGYN and has performed both of my c-sections. I've never had a problem with her before. This has just put too much of a bad taste in my mouth :cry:

I dont think I am going to get anywhere with them, so I guess I need to find the number to the health department. I HATE going in there because those offices give me the creeps. Honestly, they make me feel dirty and very uncomfortable.

Why did I have to get this stupid device!?!?!?!?! :banghead:

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 10:26 AM
this is total BS! I called out health unit and they wont even remove it.. period! They suggested going back to whoever put it in or calling the hospital, so I did. I just got off the phone with them and they won't tell you the price. You have to pay a fee to see the doctor. the doctor will then tell you the price. the only way to know the price to remove it is to pay the fee to see the doctor!!! there is no sliding scale and this is the "community" cheapo hospital. the only way Id be covered is with medicaid. if i had the freakin medicaid i would have had this thing removed by now! I am SCREWED!

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 10:39 AM
so, I decided to call the health unit in the town where I got the stupid thing and they wont remove it until I agree to go on another form of birth control!!! I am no freaking kidding you! She what kind of BC I was going to use once I get it out and I told her condoms. That's not good enough! They want you to get another form like the depo shot! I am really freaking mad right now. If I could find those stupid strings id rip that mother out and deal with any emergency room visit that comes.

Deanner03
06-18-2008, 10:55 AM
we have something similar thats like a year or so old. i asked my ob about going through them for the mirena and she suggested not doing that because they wont cover it if i have problems. so i am guessing they wont help me now? she told me that medicaid would cover it, so I am crossing my fingers that I can get in this week and get it out free of charge. if not, I am thinking I will see how much it would cost to have her check to see if its in the right place and fine in there. if so, i;kk rip that sucker out right there in her office. :giggle2: I am still ticked that I was told that it would be covered by medicaid if problems came up and the ladies in the billing/checkout dept didnt seem to think so. wednesday wont come soon enough for me!

the program is called the Family Planning Benefit Program. It's a medicaid based program with less strict income guidelines. They'll pay for the removal. They pay for any visit that is family planning related, birth control starts, birth control, annual exams to renew birth control. Your MD said they don't pay "all of it," but he's full of crap. It's like having medicaid for all intents and purposes when you're at the GYN office. It won't pay for things like infection checks, etc, unless birth control is your primary reason for the visit.

Calideedle
06-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Lay down and gently pull the string, if it comes out you are all good, if it is hard and painful stop and you know something is wrong.

I think that is your best bet at this point!

Deanner03
06-18-2008, 10:58 AM
so, I decided to call the health unit in the town where I got the stupid thing and they wont remove it until I agree to go on another form of birth control!!! I am no freaking kidding you! She what kind of BC I was going to use once I get it out and I told her condoms. That's not good enough! They want you to get another form like the depo shot! I am really freaking mad right now. If I could find those stupid strings id rip that mother out and deal with any emergency room visit that comes.

Just have them write you a prescription for bcp's and DON'T TAKE THEM!

EliseNT
06-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Oh wow I would be so furious! WA gives you "family planning only" medicaid for a year postpartum if you were on pregnancy medicaid. They will pay for IUD insertion but not for the removal.

I almost got an IUD through that program after my first was born 9 years ago and now I'm so glad I didn't. When they pushed the IUD they didn't mention any complications except a heavier period for a few cycles. I had no idea so many people had problems with these things. I ended up not getting it because I couldn't get a straight answer on how it worked and it made me feel uncomfortable. Basically they said "No one knows exactly how it works but it does. It's like magic!" I chose depo instead which was also hell but that's another story.

It's quite obvious to me they don't really care about women's health and are just trying to keep low income women from having babies.

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I am on hold with the medicai d line (baby helping type ) soi can ask them ho long it takeS TO GET the medicaid for fam,ily P;LANNING. there is an online ap for it.

i thought about seeing if i could do birth control pills and just not take them.. but i wonder if that owuld be enough. condoms were a no go. i know they are big on the depo and IUDs. i am going to call them next to ask trhem.

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 11:22 AM
:headbang: I just got off the phone with medicaid. applying for the family planning program would be pointless because I wont qualify because I already have the mirena. No need to give me family planning coverage if I amlready have it covered (regardless if its giving me problems) she (like everyone else) said to go back to the doctor that put it in.

guess I will be calling the health unit in the other town now.. i hope i have better luck this time. if not.. i am going to give a new meaning to the term "pull and pray"!!!

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 11:23 AM
It's quite obvious to me they don't really care about women's health and are just trying to keep low income women from having babies.

absolutely!!!!

delicatefade
06-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Thank goodness for the Canadian Health Care system....

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Thank goodness for the Canadian Health Care system....

gee thanks. that helps me oh so very much!

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Dr X just called. the first thing out of her mouth "I don't appreciate you calling me a liar"... there is nothing she can do. She is an employee of the hospital and not in private practice, so she is bound. She tried to give me all sorts of options that have already been explored. Right now, she is getting some phone numbers of places in other towns and trying to find something for me. I am still trying to get in touch with the health unit to see if BC pills would be good enough to get this thing removed (I wouldnt actually take the pills, though)

odentonmom
06-18-2008, 11:56 AM
So, you still have not been able to speak with the actual doctor who gave you that bad advice in the first place? I would not make any decisions until you speak to him or her.

Doctors have the discretion of doing any procedure on you and billing it for less than the going rate or nothing, if they see fit. Since the doctor started all of this, I would not rest until that doctor understands that you are having serious issues with the IUD and put him/her in a position where you tell them point blank, I cannot afford to have this removed safely, so I will need to take it out on my own. And ask them since they advised you to get it in the first place (based on bad info.), is this what they are advising you to do now? Because, unless they help you, that is the only option you have left.

And BTW, I think it is complete and total BS to charge $200-300 to remove an IUD. Come on! :banghead: If you go in for an exam, what does it take an extra 3 seconds to yank it out?

delicatefade
06-18-2008, 11:58 AM
gee thanks. that helps me oh so very much!

:hugs: mama. It wasn't meant to be snarky. I am just really thankful that I won't ever have to worry about something like this. I hope you figure it out. Did you try to get it out yourself yet? :goodvibes::hugs:

Babydust
I just wanted to give you a hug.

odentonmom
Dr X just called. the first thing out of her mouth "I don't appreciate you calling me a liar"... there is nothing she can do. She is an employee of the hospital and not in private practice, so she is bound. She tried to give me all sorts of options that have already been explored. Right now, she is getting some phone numbers of places in other towns and trying to find something for me. I am still trying to get in touch with the health unit to see if BC pills would be good enough to get this thing removed (I wouldnt actually take the pills, though)

We were posting the same time. I can't believe the doctor is so irresponsible. To give advice and not assist you in dealing with the consequences of following her advice.

SS, Mama. :hugs:

Nikkis_Little_Ladies
06-18-2008, 12:04 PM
While I agree that taking it out yourself is the easiest way out, I have to let you know about my situation with my IUD.

I got my IUD at my 8 weeks post delivery appt. I started having issues with it at about five months in. Pain, yeast and BV infections. Odd bleeding. Weird fluids. It was bad. So after almost two yrs I went to the minor care for BAD pains. They determined that my IUD was infact inbeded into the endometrium (outer layer of the uterus). We thought for sure I was facing surgery.

I went to a specialist who was able to get it out. It was tedious and took a while, but he did it. It hurt a lot too, I was just glad to aviod surgery. I also was diagnosed with endometritis (not endometriosis) It's an infection of the uterus, caused by the IUD. Had I been able to get to the strings and pull it out myself, I could/would have done some bad damage.

Sorry this is so long, but I thought you should know. If theres a possibility that its in the wrong place then its best to leave it be and let the drs deal with it. :hugs: and GL mama, I regret ever getting mine in.

sourpatch_babe
06-18-2008, 12:04 PM
:hugs::hugs: mama

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 12:05 PM
this keeps getting better and better... as i sit here with tears running down my face. I did talk to the doc who put it in. she cant help me. period. if i want her to remove it, it will cost me lots of $$.

I finally got in touch with the health unit in new orleans ( i am in baton rouge) and they will remove it if I go on bc pills. however, the only time they can get me in in a reasonable time is 2 weeks from now. so, i booked the appt cause i have no other options. i went to put it in my calendar and realize my son has a urologist appt just 2 hours after my appt time. me at 8 am in new orleans and him at 10 am in baton rouge... there is at least an hour driving time between the two. it will never work. so, i try to push my sons appt back to later in the day and am told they do those appt in the morning (hes had blood in the urine for quite some time and they are doing some sort of something to figure it out). it takes a month to get into this office. it comes down to who gets healthcare first :banghead:

averysmom
06-18-2008, 12:10 PM
sorry mama. :hugs: :hugs: hopefully it will work out.

Nikkis_Little_Ladies
06-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Okay, this is what I would do, and what I DID do.

Go the the ER and cry and scream of BAD pelvic pain. Tell them that you have an IUD and it's been giving you problems for months, you can't have sex, you have odd fluids etc... Atleast they will find out if it's actually in the wrong place or not, if it is then they SHOULD treat you there. They are required to, by law.

If it's not in the wrong place then atleast you know and you can wait it out until you get another appt for the place in new orleans. Or you can try and remove it yourself, even ask dh to try.

Oh and demand a u/s, xrays do not show a good enough view of it to show exactly where it is.:thumbsup:

CMommyof2
06-18-2008, 12:27 PM
:hugs:

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 12:28 PM
thanks mamas for all the hugs and support. I really appreciate it :)

Birdof1985
06-18-2008, 12:41 PM
this is why at my 6w appointment i told the OB i didnt want any BC.. he kinda looked at me funny.

anyway--- im not sure id pull it out myself, ONLY because i have never had an IUD so i dont know anything about. i WOULD do to the Emergency room though.

I have medicaid too and they stink-- If you go to the ER, they HAVE to treat you.

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 12:55 PM
well what about paying them? I am broke and dont want to rack up an emergency room bill... even if they will let me make payments. I have enough debt.

Birdof1985
06-18-2008, 01:03 PM
well what about paying them? I am broke and dont want to rack up an emergency room bill... even if they will let me make payments. I have enough debt.

well let me give you an example of how sometimes health is more important..
I had preterm labor and no insurance.. i had to go to the hospital. No i didnt have the money to even make payments. My doctor even asked me, did i want to go home or go to the hospital.. duh- i was going to go to the hospital. even if you make an effort to pay them $20- they are still happy.
So, not to sound mean, but either sit there and wait and hope or go to the ER.

You even said you dont think somethings right- trust yourself.

Nikkis_Little_Ladies
06-18-2008, 01:08 PM

It's not a win, win situation mama, I know it stinks! I have bills that I pay 5$ or less on every month and they can not do a damn thing about it. As long as you pay something they can't touch you.

You just need to stop, and think about what you are going to do, go to the er Or deal with the IUD and the annoyance of it Or go pay 300$ out of poscket upfront. When I had my problems I had to pay well over 700$ for all of it. Meds, specialist, minor care, all that good stuff.

It's up to you. Me, I'd go to the ER. It's not the worse possible senario. And it would get youthe help you are seeking.

breakfastsurreal
06-18-2008, 01:09 PM
I agree with going to the ER. There is a law that says that even if you don't pay medical bills off they do not affect your credit score...and any small effort to pay is appreciated, they will usually settle the debt for wayyy less. I would just do it and try not to worry about the money, it won't be coming out of your pocket right away.

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I dont feel its emergency room serious. at least not yet. I am just so sick of this feeling of discomfort. I think I can wait the 2 weeks to get it done at the health unit in new orleans. I am praying that my son's appt can be pushed to later in the day (the health unit only does them in the morning). I hesitate to go to the emergency room for anything that has to do with me. (My kids have insurance so I would never hesitate for them,.. even if they didnt have insurance i wouldnt hesitate) I didnt even go when I was having severe pains from my gallstones and it hurt to breathe :(

Nikkis_Little_Ladies
06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
And as for the deposite that most hospitals are asking for now, a simple " I do not have any money right now" OR " heres five dollars, its all i have" will work jsut fine, they can not MAKE you pay anything upfront! :thumbsup:

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 01:12 PM
I agree with going to the ER. There is a law that says that even if you don't pay medical bills off they do not affect your credit score...and any small effort to pay is appreciated, they will usually settle the debt for wayyy less. I would just do it and try not to worry about the money, it won't be coming out of your pocket right away.

Ive been down that road before with medical bills and they say it can affect your credit. i still owe several grand from getting my gall bladder removed without insurance help.

I am really starting to consider this ER thing..... DH will think I am nuts. I want this thing out NOW so very BAD!

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 01:14 PM
And as for the deposite that most hospitals are asking for now, a simple " I do not have any money right now" OR " heres five dollars, its all i have" will work jsut fine, they can not MAKE you pay anything upfront! :thumbsup:

i remember when I checked in to get my gall bladder removed, they asked me if I could put down a deposit of $100 since I was going in for scheduled surgery. I told them I didnt have any money and they were like "no problem", but this was at a hospital in another state. hmmm

Nikkis_Little_Ladies
06-18-2008, 01:15 PM
I dont feel its emergency room serious. at least not yet. I am just so sick of this feeling of discomfort. I think I can wait the 2 weeks to get it done at the health unit in new orleans. I am praying that my son's appt can be pushed to later in the day (the health unit only does them in the morning). I hesitate to go to the emergency room for anything that has to do with me. (My kids have insurance so I would never hesitate for them,.. even if they didnt have insurance i wouldnt hesitate) I didnt even go when I was having severe pains from my gallstones and it hurt to breathe :(

That is your choice, I hope it all works out. Blood in the urin isn't really something to mess around with, I'd be mad to even have to wait so long for his appt. When my dd had to see the ped pulmonologist for her astham I pitched a FIT over waiting a month to get her in. I called EVERY morning and afternoon to see if they had any cancelations, finally two weeks before her appt they had one and she got in sooner.

GL to you and I hope that your IUD is still in the right place and that your son does well. :hugs:

autumn_fading
06-18-2008, 01:21 PM

This is absolutely UNTRUE. A medical bill is just like any other debt. If you do not pay it, it can go to collections and hurt your credit score. They can also get a judgement against you and seize assets. However, many/most health care providers will work out a payment plan with you so that this won't happen.

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 01:22 PM
I am seriously consider the ER option. DH doesnt want any more medical debt. I might just have to do it anyway.

yeah, I was pretty mad that I had to wait a month. He's been having blood here and there for months. its very sparatic. they've done cultrues and such and even an ultrasound of his kidneys. they cant figure it out.

Nikkis_Little_Ladies
06-18-2008, 01:27 PM
I am seriously consider the ER option. DH doesnt want any more medical debt. I might just have to do it anyway.

yeah, I was pretty mad that I had to wait a month. He's been having blood here and there for months. its very sparatic. they've done cultrues and such and even an ultrasound of his kidneys. they cant figure it out.

weird.. Hope everything turns out okay!

cheyannegeist
06-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Is there a charity hospital in your area?? I know those are awful, but it may be an option....:hugs:

My Sweet Blessings
06-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Is there a charity hospital in your area?? I know those are awful, but it may be an option....:hugs:

yeah, they want me to pay a fee to see the doctor and the doctor is the only one that can tell me the cost to remove it. you have to pay to find out the cost to remove it, basicly.

cheyannegeist
06-18-2008, 01:39 PM
yeah, they want me to pay a fee to see the doctor and the doctor is the only one that can tell me the cost to remove it. you have to pay to find out the cost to remove it, basicly.

Gotcha...I read that earlier in your thread, didnt know that was a charity. wow...I hope you find some help soon!!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
06-18-2008, 01:43 PM
GL Mama, I hope they are able to get you in and get it checked asap:hugs:

Mama2Kayden+Carson
06-18-2008, 07:06 PM
I agree with going to the ER. I went to the ER years ago when I didn't have insurance. I ended up paying them something like 10 dollars a month until it was paid off, and they were fine with it. Your health is MUCH more important than money!

mikoto127
06-18-2008, 07:25 PM
:hugs: honestly, I'd just go to the ER, and make $10/month payments.

LoveSunshine
06-18-2008, 07:32 PM
Also, about the health unit. I've been to one before here in Louisiana (Slidell one, across the lake from N.O.) and they schedule EVERYONE'S appt's for 8 AM. There were about 20 other girls with me that day. I was there until 2 PM. I had my pap smear done and got BC pills that day.

lulusmom
06-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Exactly what are your symptoms? Lots of mamas here have had one and may be able to tell you if that is normal or not. My particular experience with it was that my ex could feel the strings poking him, and when I put my finger in there to feel around I could actually feel the bottom part of the "T" poking out of my cervix. Removal was very easy and I could probably have done it myself. The nurse who removed it said it was "falling out" and that I shouldn't be able to feel any part of the plastic "T", only the strings, and that she was amazed it was preventing pregnancy at all. :banghead: I did get a BV infection after living with it like that for a while (literally, I could push on the plastic part I could feel and it went back up in my cervix for a few hours before slipping back out.) that finally sent me to the doc. As far as the needing to be on other birth control, can't you just say you are breastfeeding and don't want to risk your milk supply with other hormonal bc? That might work as a reason not to get other bc.

AlisonR80
06-19-2008, 12:28 AM
SS mama. I have a mirena too and awhile back i wanted it out so badly due to non-stop spotting. I couldn't reach the strings to remove it myself. The spotting has greatly improved. Anyhow, 4 yrs ago I had a different mirena and had it removed after 7 months and i later got a bill for $200+ ...i was ticked! It was billed as "surgery"! Ridiculous. We bit the bullet and had to pay for it but i will not pay for removal again, unless absolutely necessary. Would you re-consider going to PP for removal? Going to the ER could cost $1,000 or more if they do tests and that would really suck to be paying $10 a month on that for a long long time. I would not go that route.

KaleidoscopeEyes
06-19-2008, 12:37 AM
deleted

My Sweet Blessings
06-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Also, about the health unit. I've been to one before here in Louisiana (Slidell one, across the lake from N.O.) and they schedule EVERYONE'S appt's for 8 AM. There were about 20 other girls with me that day. I was there until 2 PM. I had my pap smear done and got BC pills that day.

I know that's how they do it there, too! I dont know what I am going to do. I dont want my kids sitting there all day.. EEWWW!!!, but my 9 month old nurses every few hours and he wouldnt take a bottle of EBM. Im hoping to get there at 7:30 to get in there ASAP, but thats going to be tough seeing as how I am over an hour away and there is SOOO much traffic in the morning heading from BR to NO. :banghead:

I dont think I am going to go to the ER. I am terrified of the bill and dont think its an emergency.

,my exact symptoms as best as i can describe..DH feels it during sex (talk about a mood killer for him LOL), I feel "bloated" in a way but I guess its really a pressure feeling? like, it feels "Stuffed" in my lower abdomen. when I turn certain ways, the pressure becomes uncomfortable to the point of stressed pain... not like a sharp pain, but i guess more storng discomfort? i am a real wimp with pain, though. its so hard to describe. it just feels "wrong" . you know? like shouldnt be there.

chasingboys
06-19-2008, 01:56 AM
I would not risk taking the IUD out yourself, it can SERIOUSLY damage your cervix. When it is inserted, your cervix is actually slightly dilated by the doctor and the IUD is slipped through the cervix into the uterus where it opens up. Removing it can damage your cervix if it does not come out at the correct angle.

your dh feeling it during sex is normal.

I wouldn't go to the ER, I'd make an apt with the charity hospital and then make payments. It's likely that you'll pay less there then you will at an ER. It's not like you'll see the doc and he'll have you up in the stirupps and you'll hear him say, "wait a sec...I can't take that out until you pay me $200"... :giggle: They'll bill you for it afterwards, just say you need to make payments, it's that simple.

best of luck!

even_in_death
06-19-2008, 02:31 AM
I'm am so sorry mama. After I had my DD my primary doctor tried to get me to put that awful device in me, I am so afraid of IUDs. She asked what I was doing for BC and I said nothing we want more children. Then she went on to tell me how great it was to have an IUD and how I should space my babies out by a couple of years, yada, yada. I told her strait out that there was no way I would ever do an IUD, I have PCOS and it is hard enough to get pregnant but she still tried to get me to get it. My Dh finally said "look lady she isn't doing it, so stop harassing her about it. This is our family and it is none of your business how many kids we want." Needless to say I never went back to that doctor. About 2 weeks later my best friends doctor did the same thing to her except during her pap and actually put it in before my friend had fully decided if she really wanted it. It ended up giving her so many problems she paid the $$ to get it removed. I just wanted to let you know this so you can see you are not the only one that has be pressured into getting it.

amielia80
06-19-2008, 09:02 AM
i am sorry too! wow i am so glad i didn't get that yucky thing! i just had baby 9 weeks ago and the doctor talked me into the iud. I actually went to the appointment and when they had me sign the mirena consent form i really started to not feel right. i got dressed and when the midwife came in she was surprised. i told her i was sorry but i couldn't do it. she really tried to talk me into it too. i left with a script for bc pills because she said i need something (i agree i don't want another baby!) but why do they seem to push the iud so much?

~happy2Bamommy~
06-19-2008, 09:30 AM
whoa!!!!!

I didn't read all the replies but I thought most places include the removal cost in with the cost of inserting it so you only pay the cost of an office visit??

No way they should charge you that much! It takes 2 minutes (actually less) for them to remove it.

Call your local health department and see if the nurse there can remove it.Also, call your old medic-aid worker and let them know what is going on.

~happy2Bamommy~
06-19-2008, 09:33 AM
I know that's how they do it there, too! I dont know what I am going to do. I dont want my kids sitting there all day.. EEWWW!!!, but my 9 month old nurses every few hours and he wouldnt take a bottle of EBM. Im hoping to get there at 7:30 to get in there ASAP, but thats going to be tough seeing as how I am over an hour away and there is SOOO much traffic in the morning heading from BR to NO. :banghead:

I dont think I am going to go to the ER. I am terrified of the bill and dont think its an emergency.

,my exact symptoms as best as i can describe..DH feels it during sex (talk about a mood killer for him LOL), I feel "bloated" in a way but I guess its really a pressure feeling? like, it feels "Stuffed" in my lower abdomen. when I turn certain ways, the pressure becomes uncomfortable to the point of stressed pain... not like a sharp pain, but i guess more storng discomfort? i am a real wimp with pain, though. its so hard to describe. it just feels "wrong" . you know? like shouldnt be there.

Your DH should NOT be able to feel it!!!!! This iud is in there wrong or has slipped!!! It is supposed to be inside the uterus if your DH feels it then part of it must be OUTSIDE your cervix.

Did you call complaining about this after it was put in?

Birdof1985
06-19-2008, 10:36 AM

no matter what you choose there may be a big bill-- just small payments. Its not an emergency until something happens... which thankfully nothing seems to be majorly wrong with your IUD yet. :hugs:

Calideedle
06-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Your DH should NOT be able to feel it!!!!! This iud is in there wrong or has slipped!!! It is supposed to be inside the uterus if your DH feels it then part of it must be OUTSIDE your cervix.

Did you call complaining about this after it was put in?

I know when I had it my DH could feel it, feel the string he says it felt like fishing wire :yuck: so it is very common for a DH to be able to feel "that"

chasingboys
06-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Yes, by dh feeling it I meant the strings. He should not feel the actual IUD. The strings can be "pokey", even though they're like thick fishing line.

My Sweet Blessings
06-19-2008, 12:11 PM
another update...

my obgyn called with a bunch of numbers for me and only one in my town - planned parenthood :( the rest are well over an hour away, which means at least$25 in gas and the cost of removal (not to mention loss work from my husband cause he would have to go). i called so many places and even started calling local gyno offices just to see the price range. noone will remove it if the didnt place it. pp will remove it and it will cost $119 and its 15 minuutes down the street meaning i can leave the kids at home with dh (he works from home). so, monday this thing is coming out for $119. i hate to pay that much, but i'm going to have to. it even beats going down to the new orleans health unit ($25 gas, sitting there ALL day, DH losing work, trying to reschedule my sons urologist appt, ect) i HATE PP but its looking like the best option :cry: i will be relieved when its gone.

mommyof2wildboys
06-19-2008, 12:31 PM
If you can feel the strings, then it's probably where it should be. All you have to do is pull straight down on the strings. If you can't feel the strings you should go in to have it removed. But, if you can feel them, I would just pull it out yourself, or have DH do it for you.

My Sweet Blessings
06-19-2008, 12:41 PM
If you can feel the strings, then it's probably where it should be. All you have to do is pull straight down on the strings. If you can't feel the strings you should go in to have it removed. But, if you can feel them, I would just pull it out yourself, or have DH do it for you.

I hunted and hunted (gross!) and can only find one string. could they possibly be twisted together and think its only one? it doesnt feel double thick, though. I am just going to have to suck it up and wait til monday and pay the $119. While I am there, I plan to stuff my pockets with condoms. LOL last time I was there (when i was 18 needing BC and Im STILL in their system!) they had a GIANT and I mean GIANT bowl of condoms on the floor in the waiting room and in the bathrooms. there were colored ones, flavored ones, glow in the dark ones, regular ones, ect ect ect :giggle2:

AmyCivic80
06-19-2008, 12:45 PM
I didn't read through the all the replies, but if your gyn told you all the costs would be covered, why is she taking care of it? :headscratch:

Psychomom
06-19-2008, 12:46 PM
While I am there, I plan to stuff my pockets with condoms. LOL
:roflmbo:

My Sweet Blessings
06-19-2008, 12:53 PM
I didn't read through the all the replies, but if your gyn told you all the costs would be covered, why is she taking care of it? :headscratch:

long story short, she assumed i would have continued medicaid coverage cause "sometimes it gets extended and sometimes it doesnt. i dont know why". she has done some leg work to gather phone numbers and look up organizations to help me. she called me 3 times until she caught me to give me the 7 numbers she has. she said if she was in private practice, shed take it out no problem, but since she is a hospital employee, she is bound by their rules.

My Sweet Blessings
06-19-2008, 12:55 PM
:roflmbo:

might as well, right?!?! LOL hubby said "you think you can get $119 worth?" :giggle2: they are free condoms after all!

cassondruh
06-19-2008, 12:56 PM
HHAHAHA @ $119 worth of condoms

balloon party!!!

cassondruh
06-19-2008, 12:56 PM
rofl, the kids could have a water balloon fight and you'd still have plenty left over, HAHAHA!!!

mommyof2wildboys
06-19-2008, 01:00 PM
LoL.......

I would personaly pull the one string and see what happens. As long as you can get one, go for it. Do it Monday before you go to the appt. that way if it doesn't come out you're already on your way there. If it does, you just saved yourself $119. I used to work in an OB/GYN office and had several patients that have taken theirs out. I also have one, and plan on taking it out myself.

Nikkis_Little_Ladies
06-19-2008, 01:13 PM
LoL.......

I would personaly pull the one string and see what happens. As long as you can get one, go for it. Do it Monday before you go to the appt. that way if it doesn't come out you're already on your way there. If it does, you just saved yourself $119. I used to work in an OB/GYN office and had several patients that have taken theirs out. I also have one, and plan on taking it out myself.

Yea BUT if she can bring a big ol' diaper bag and dump every bowl of condoms in there that she can, then she will have MORE then 119$ worth of condoms and a huge stash of protection for DTD. :lostit:

On a more serious note, GL mama, And use those condoms.. LOL

sourpatch_babe
06-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Make sure you wear parachute pants. Or use your diaperbag as a purse that day and stuff it. lol.

Birdof1985
06-19-2008, 01:37 PM
well im glad you found a place. :)

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
06-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I hunted and hunted (gross!) and can only find one string. could they possibly be twisted together and think its only one? it doesnt feel double thick, though. I am just going to have to suck it up and wait til monday and pay the $119. While I am there, I plan to stuff my pockets with condoms. LOL last time I was there (when i was 18 needing BC and Im STILL in their system!) they had a GIANT and I mean GIANT bowl of condoms on the floor in the waiting room and in the bathrooms. there were colored ones, flavored ones, glow in the dark ones, regular ones, ect ect ect :giggle2:

might as well, right?!?! LOL hubby said "you think you can get $119 worth?" :giggle2: they are free condoms after all!

:lostit: