PDA

View Full Version : I just tried Zorb and love it

pmills4
06-21-2008, 06:37 PM
I had to try Wazoodles new soaker material and just love it. Even for my super soaker baby girl I only had to use two layers. So you end up with a trim diaper and not all of the bulk. I paid 5.23 a yard for it and am super happy with it.

Just had to share that with everyone.

3boysmom
06-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Glad to hear a review as I have some coming to me! lol

BuggaBuggaBoutique
06-21-2008, 07:16 PM
thanks

Abunchofus
06-21-2008, 11:43 PM
ok what is zorb?

how does it compare to say bamboo terry or such?

wondering if it'd be good for mamacloth?

Momma_Rock
06-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks! I've been wondering about this stuff... Maybe some fitteds or AIOs....

~trying to evolve~
06-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Anybody want to sell any? Wink, wink :)

pmills4
06-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Zorb can be used for soakers, changing pads, nursing pads, diapers, incontinance pads or pretty much anything that would need to be absorbant. It is a new product that can only be found at www.Wazoodle.com. The website said it holds up to 8 times more absorbant than traditional soaker fabrics so I had to try it since my LO soaks threw everything I have ever tried including bamboo or terry. I had to make the diapers so thick that I could not get pants on over her diaper. With the Zorb the diapers are actually thiner than a disposable and she doesn't soak threw them even after sleeping threw the night. So no more waking her up every two hours or so just so she doesn't soak her crib.

BuggaBuggaBoutique
06-22-2008, 01:31 AM
thanks

Xythnia
06-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Interesting - I wish you could look up exactly WHAT the material is though.

cuppa java
06-22-2008, 10:27 AM
ooooo, thanks! I was wondering, and I have some coming to me.

How is the drying time?

TEri

vickieboggs
06-22-2008, 10:31 AM
good to know, I've been wanting to try that stuff! I would like to know what it is made out of though!

scuttlebutts
06-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I've been wondering what the material is also....does it feel like microfiber?

BuggaBuggaBoutique
06-22-2008, 11:49 AM
i really wish i had some extra $$ so i could try some, it sounds great

pmills4
06-22-2008, 12:38 PM
It feels like a tight weave microfiber, it is really soft and kind of fluffy but tight and the same time. Dry time is excellent. I dried the dipes with a regular load of laundry and they were all dry at the same time. Unlike some of my other dipes that took forever to dry.

pmills4
06-22-2008, 12:46 PM
I have an inquiry in to find out exactly what it is made of for sure.

scuttlebutts
06-22-2008, 02:06 PM
I have an inquiry in to find out exactly what it is made of for sure.

Cool...let us know!

Abunchofus
06-22-2008, 07:14 PM
sounds wonderful - but I too would like to know what it is made out of.

jpabruzzese
06-22-2008, 08:23 PM
How much does it cost and does it come like regular fabric in yards?

Indigo~mama
06-22-2008, 09:28 PM
I am thrilled to see this!!! I have been wondering about it for the last week or so.

wildeyes
06-22-2008, 11:22 PM
did this need to be prepped?? did it shrink when you washed it?? wash before cutting??

pmills4
06-23-2008, 12:47 AM
I washed it before I used it just because it is a habit of mine with also doing quilting. It didn't shrink at all. so I would say it is up to you weather you wash it before you use it.

cuppa java
06-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Did you pay a lot of shipping? I ordered a few yards and shipping was over $12. Crazy!

Teri

pmills4
06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
the reason shipping is kind of high is because it comes from Canada. So you have to pay the customs stuff too. I only bought one yard of it to start with because I wanted to make sure that I liked it first and I think shipping was like 4 dollars.

raelynn
06-23-2008, 11:05 AM
I just talked to someone at Wazoodle and was told it's a 50/50 (approx) bamboo/polyester mix. He stressed that Zorb is a sponge, rather than an absorbent fabric. It traps moisture between the fibers.

He recommends coating it with something, because it's a non-woven it doesn't launder as well as a woven and will last longer if it's sandwiched between 2 layers (flannel, terry etc).

I just ordered 2 meters :)

Abunchofus
06-23-2008, 12:02 PM
hmmmm so if it's more like a sponge then I would guess it would function more like microfiber and might be more prone to compression wicking/leaking? anyone know?

and if it's like a sponge then sponges are hard to clean if you don't squeeze them to get stuff out of them - kind of like microfiber - make sense?

hmmmmm just wondering how well it will launder and hold up and get really good n clean.

pmills4
06-23-2008, 07:01 PM
They told me the same thing. I know that I only had to wash mine once and it did not have any smell to it. Some of my other dipes I have had to wash at least twice in order to get all of the urine smell out of them. And when I washed the Zorb by itself before I used it it came out of the wash it felt almost dry, there was no water dripping from it or anything.

ShamroxGirl
06-23-2008, 07:41 PM
I was going to get some but they take 25 days to ship to Hawaii! I'm too impatient for that LOL!!

Menfusse
06-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Is this the same material that those as seen on tv zorbeez towels are made of? I've seen those with that crazy oxi clean guy and I'm always wondering if they could be used it diapers, lol.

milkgoddess
06-29-2008, 03:56 AM
the infomercial shammy stuff can't be used for diapers..lol...I bought some way back and found out it actually has to be "wet" before you can use it to absorb stuff. It really didn't do that great a job absorbing stuff unless you got it really wet and rung it out (weird). Plus they aren't supposed to be dried in the drier.

I really want to try the Zorb. I should go check out the shipping to AK. I have issues with my microfiber retaining odors and staining so I wonder if this will be the same. I don't really get how it's non-woven.
So is it felt like? Does it ravel or fray?

:)

pregomama
06-29-2008, 07:37 PM
pmills4 - What kind of diapers did you make with it? When your dd woke in the morning was there any compression wicking? Did you use any fabric between the Zorb & her skin? Or any other fabric as soaker layers at all? What did you use for the outer material?

Sorry to bombard you w/ the questions, I'm really curious, can you tell?!

aliandmimismom
06-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I saw that material at Wazoodle's site the other day too, I'm kinda freaked out because of the name:giggle2:

sheeshshe
06-29-2008, 09:07 PM
sounds like a wonder fabric huh? i cant wait to hear how it holds up over time!

Maple_Sugar_Designs
06-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Shipping for this stuff is nuts. I live an hour away from where it is being shipped from and they want $8 to ship it to me.

I want to try it but that is a lot to spend on shipping.

pregomama
06-30-2008, 02:18 PM
What kind of diapers did you make with it? When your dd woke in the morning was there any compression wicking? Did you use any fabric between the Zorb & her skin? Or any other fabric as soaker layers at all? What did you use for the outer material?

Sorry to bombard you w/ the questions, I'm really curious, can you tell?!

:nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

econbaby
07-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Hmmm...so someone from Wazoodle said it was a 50/50 bamboo/poly blend? I inquired about the fiber content as well and this is the repsponse I rec'd (copied & pasted from my email):

Zorb is a blend of man-made and natural fibers. Wadded absorbing textiles like Zorb get their characteristics and performance from the blend of the fibers, so the mix and blend is considered proprietary information.

It is made with fairly common fibers, all of which are non-toxic and non-allergenic. There are no bonding agents, resins or other additives used to manufacture the fabric.

Hope this helps!

So if it's proprietary information, how is it that the person at Wazoodle was able to tell you? I'm just wondering if they gave the correct info...

Sigrid
07-02-2008, 07:03 PM
This does sound interesting. I wonder if it is more absorbent than the SSM (super soaker material) that I just got through a co-op...hmmm. I may have to get some and do a test.:giggle: I definitely will be interested in how it lasts. I love trim diapers!

KnottyLDSMama
07-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Man, I'd really love to try this out, but it's not worth $18/yd once I pay shipping!! :banghead: I wonder if anybody locally would be interested so we could pitch in and share shipping. Bah.

DonniesMom
07-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi ! I am new to DS and currently am considering using cloth, but am a new mom and a total cloth-newbie! I have a few questions: Where can I buy zorb? I see wazoodle.com sells it, but are there other places that sell it too? Also do you need to cover it with another fabric, what fabric is recommended, for washing wear and tear?

punkinbaby
07-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Wazoodle is the only place that has it. You would probably cover it with flannel.

HookedByCarolyn
07-14-2008, 03:25 PM
I just ordered a yard! Shipping sucks, but gas prices now-a-days...I can't hardly drive to Wal-Mart for less than 10 bucks!!! So, I'm not complaining! :giggle:

I'll post my review after we try it out! :lostit:

Domino Pads
07-23-2008, 11:21 AM
About how thick is it? Is it pretty bulky (it sounds fluffy)?

TaivensMama
07-23-2008, 08:44 PM
I saw this stuff at a friends house today (who is making diapers) and I saw a pile of diapers she had sewn and had not yet turned to top stitch and I *thought* she was using fleece as the absorbing layers and I thought i was gonna have to break the news to her that it wouldnt absorb worth a darm (since she is new to sewing) and little did I know she would be teaching me a thing or two...this Zorb stuff looks really cool, she said she did a side by side test of microfiber and this and she said zorb held a TON more....she said I could try some but I forgot to grab some before we left...I really want some now though...makes me glad I have not yet made more fitteds yet so I can try this stuff out!

Phiasmom0
07-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Does Wazoodle do Coops? Maybe we could get someone on here to get a coop going for this stuff so we could get for a lot cheaper (and other CDing fabrics too)?

crystalanne79
07-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Does Wazoodle do Coops? Maybe we could get someone on here to get a coop going for this stuff so we could get for a lot cheaper (and other CDing fabrics too)?

Oh my gosh, I say NEVER co-op with Wazoodle! Yes they do them and their website says they fill them in 3 days. Not true! We've been waiting months and they have lied to us over and over and it has been a horrible experience. Trust me when I say it's not worth it. At this point (after waiting months and being told over and over by Wazoodle that our stuff will be shipped that day only to be told it wil ship the next day) we have now all been refunded and may never get the stuff we ordered.

crunchymamaNY
07-26-2008, 09:21 PM
I just bought some Zorb on wazoodle the other day, and processing time said 4 days. Today I checked, and they are sold out. I really hope that they will ship my item soon as I've already paid for it, and I got 10 yards...LOL! I'm really excited about trying it.

I noticed someone stating they use 2 layers. Is it good enough for a heavy wetter? I can't wait to try this stuff!!!!! I hope it is worth the wait, and expense!!!

mmillerRN
07-26-2008, 10:03 PM
I would love to try this, but since I'm just learning to sew, I would rather stick to my rags until I figure it out!:giggle:

Maybe by the time its figured out, everyone will know if they hold stinks or not. It took my BGs a couple rounds to get stinky, requiring further washing. Perhaps the same w/ Zorb?!!

eightdandelions
07-27-2008, 02:35 PM
I just ordered some yesterday, and the shipping is def pricey, but I originally put in 2 yds which was $11 for shipping, and then changed it to 3, and it was $14. So order in bulk! :giggle2:

~Amy~
07-27-2008, 05:10 PM
They have the wider zorb still in stock, also I see they now have a sample cut 20x24 for $3.95 and it includes shipping. Thats even a great deal! You could get a few soakers out of that!

Domino Pads
07-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Yes, I thought you guys were pretty brave to order 10 yards just to try it! LOL
I ordered the sample cut a few days ago.

HGrace
07-27-2008, 05:56 PM
i ordered the sample and i thought it was a great deal too! i want to use it either inside pfs (like sewn in the center between bamboo terry or other materials) or for doublers/inserts. I feel like i could get quite a few out of this piece, and its a cheap way to test it out!!

momtoamiracle
07-27-2008, 07:23 PM
I ordered the sample the other day too. I can't wait to try it!

My boy is such a super soaker that only a couple of prefolds really do the job.

hope it comes soon...

Rainshine Designs
08-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Still waiting on some reveiws from those who have tried it...let us know how it works!

Rosella
08-07-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm still waiting to hear WHAT exactly it is ... it sounds ideal for my heavy wetter, but I won't take a chance if we'll find out in 3 months that it's something like ground up tires, bleached in acid and mixed with a polycarbonate resin that has been hydrolyzed to a fabric-like consistency, kwim? :roflmbo:

Weezy6703
08-07-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm still waiting to hear WHAT exactly it is ... it sounds ideal for my heavy wetter, but I won't take a chance if we'll find out in 3 months that it's something like ground up tires, bleached in acid and mixed with a polycarbonate resin that has been hydrolyzed to a fabric-like consistency, kwim? :roflmbo:

:giggle2:

Domino Pads
08-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Okay I got my sample and I like it.
I also inquired about what's in it because I want my pads to be hemp free. They confirmed that there is no hemp in it at all. Other than that is was just
"All fibers used are non-allergenic, non toxic. Absolutely no hemp.
Zorb is made from a mix of common fibers found in the most common diapers."

I liked how clean it was to cut (unlike microterry!) and it was fine to sew and serge with. It absorbed fast but I don't think it absorbed more than other microfiber fabrics.

I always wash my pads' soaker part before I sew it onto the liner and my old version always came out of the dryer a little puffy. With the Zorb it held its shape perfectly. That's really what I liked best. That and how clean it is to work with.

So... I ordered 10 more yards.

JuliaMaite
08-20-2008, 09:37 AM
:popcorn:

wannarun
08-20-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm glad it seems to be working well for those of you using it. My only problem is that for every good review I see, I also see a really bad review. There's a post on Diaper Sewing Divas about Zorb and they are the ones that convinced me to save my money. :\ I think if I was to use it, it would be for mama pads. Not for diapers.

MelissaCoffey
08-20-2008, 10:37 AM

:giggle: I've been reading this thread with maximum interest as well as maximum hesitance. I've been in CD world for awhile now, almost five years, and "the best" fabrics for diapering have come and gone, and I've realized that good old cotton has never let me down....I guess my thing is because I am cloth diapering, I am not really that hot to make my CLOTH act like a SPOSIE. I don't mind changing after every pee, but do understand the need for something super absorbent at night....Such a dilemma :)

Textile_Mike
08-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi, I'm Mike. I'm a head up textile design at Wazoodle. Zorb is one of my babies.

Hopefully I can answer a few of the most common question, and debunk some of the common rumors and misconceptions.

1) What is it made of?

I can tell you with great certainty there are no "ground up tires bleached in acid and mixed with a polycarbonate resin". We're known for a lot of things good and bad, but when it comes to innovative diaper making textiles our attention to innovation, environmental and product safety, is second to none.

Zorb contains only tangled cellulose fibers from bamboo/cotton/viscose and poly micro fiber, the same fibers found in virtually every AIO diaper on the market - nothing else. These non-allergenic fibers are non-allergenic, durable and easy to sanitize We manufacture Zorb in the USA and Canadian in modern facilities that are safe & friendly for workers and the environment.

We keep the exact formula and manufacturing process a secret.

2) Is it thick?

That depends on how you compare things. Soaker layers are built up from 3-8 layers which generally produces a thick wad of fabric. One key goal was to reduce the overall thickness of the absorbent part of a diaper, AND to minimize the number of layers needed.

The best overall thickness for Zorb proved to be about the same as Sherpa or velour. Even though Zorb is thicker, you use far fewer layers which will always makes the diaper trimmer. Fewer layers also reduces cost and cut/sew time.

This enabled some completely new designs (you should see them hit the market soon) that are trimmer than anything currently available.

For a head to head comparison on thickness, stacking Zorb on a desk against the common fabrics will show you something like this. 1 layer of Zorb is the same as:

3 layers of flannel
2.25 layers of French terry
1.3 layers of cotton fleece
1 layer of sherpa.

Now, to get the same absorbency, as 2 layer of Zorb, you will need:

8 layers of flannel
6 layers of French terry
5 layers of cotton fleece
4 layers of sherpa.

When you’re diaper is finished, it should be trimmer and softer handed using Zorb. You should save material cost and some cut/sew time.

3) Does it wick under compression (leak off)?

Less than anything else. We spent a lot of time looking at leak off under compression, both with Zorb and typical natural fiber fleeces. Compression leak off occurs when a fabric reaches saturation and cannot distribute moisture from the 'squish' area to other parts of the absorbent web. Zorb cures this problem in a 2 ways.

First, Zorb is extremely fast at moving moisture around. Assaults are quickly spread over a wide area to minimize saturation and leak off in the area that is peed on. To see this drop a swatch into water, you will see the moisture moves instantly through the fabric.

Next, the ability to resist leak off depends on the resiliency of the fabric's web. Zorb is considerabley more resilient than fleeces and terrys, and way, way more resilient than microfiber toweling. When you squish it using the typical pressure of a baby (around 5psi), moisture simply moves to another part of the Zorb web. Natural fiber knits are slow to move moisture around, so pressure creates a leak off channel, polyester fleeces (micro and polar) and microfiber terry towell have weak webs that collapse under any pressure, they have the most trouble with leak off.

4) Why is shipping so expensive?

Zorb is a lofty fabric so carriers calculate the shipping cost based on volume, not actual weight. 6 yards of Zorb weighs 8lbs, but the roll size cubes out to 21lbs, so that's what UPS they charges us to carry the package. It isn't so bad if you look at it this way: the cheapest diaper shop we found on the net charges $213.30 to ship 20 yards of hemp 54" FT to ZIP 90210 including freight. 6 yards of 74" wide Zorb does the same job at a cost of $72 including freight.

We have a vacuum packager that compresses lofty fabrics, unfortunately it handles rolls up to 30" long - but we're working on it!

5) Is it Hemp Free?

Absolutely. For those of you who know us, we are not advocates of hemp for use in diaper or healthcare products. We never use hemp fiber in our products.

Hope that helps a little.

whitecalx
08-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks Mike! Looking forward to getting mine!

JoyfulRose
08-31-2008, 01:57 AM
Wow! Thanks for that. Great information!

I bought some Zorb but haven't had time to sew it up yet. I'm excited to try it in Adam's soakers.

It feels like a fairly dense cotton batting mixed with felt. Hopefully that makes sense. :)

Blue Rat
08-31-2008, 02:20 PM
I just ordered some as well. I'm excited to get it to try it out!!

crystalanne79
08-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks Mike! That info is awesome! I have sent out my testers trying it for mama cloth and will hopefully be selling them soon. I do love how absorbant it is but it is slightly more "stiff" then say flannel. It absorbs sooooo quickly though!

KnottyLDSMama
08-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Ok, I think I want some. I just cannot swallow that shipping charge. Somebody wanna split it?

Kimanalynn
09-03-2008, 09:45 PM
I am interested in this as well; have you seen the pre-cut soaker sizes?

hollyday27
09-03-2008, 09:52 PM
I got some Zorb doublers from a nice mama (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493080) on here and they are the only thing I'll use on my super soaker DSs now. So topped them with OBV, and they are fairly thick... def thicker than any other inserts I have. I really like them.

baby_number_2
09-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Bought some! I got 2 yards for making unpaper towels for x-mas gifts. Also I got the pre-cut soakers too with the hemp terry precuts. I think they are big but we'll see how they work.

jtambone
09-04-2008, 08:44 AM
How long does it take zorb to dry?

mhaddon
09-04-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm sold I'm getting some to put as the inner layer in my fitteds. DD is a super soaker and I'm getting ready to make my own fitteds. I was just going to give them away when she outgrew them anyway so that won't be a problem for me!
Thanks for the review and info.

~LiLaC~
09-04-2008, 09:53 AM
ugh, you ladies sucked me in.....I had to try some :giggle: I'm going to start with the sample piece and see how it works out.

Is there anyone else out there that could give us a recent review?

mhaddon
09-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Well I got 2 yards and 11 of the insert cuts. I figure this will be a quick way to make some absorbant inserts for the GAD's I have coming. DD seems to soak through everything!!

raelynn
09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
My 2 yards of Zorb arrived yesterday, I can't wait to try it out!

jenneonthespot
09-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Sorry- my comment wasn't very nice so I edited it... :blush:

aiyana4969
09-05-2008, 09:15 AM
the material is a bamboo/poly blend that's kept very secret. The mama's I've had try it all love it (except one, I think she was looking for a cloth sposie, as thin and as absorbant). Drying time for us is the same as any diaper. I make snap-in soakers for my fitteds so they dry in one cycle. This is not the werid Zorb car drying rag in the auto section that has to be wet to work, totally different. To me, it reminds me of carpet padding only blue.

It's THE only thing that works for us at night. My LO soaks thru sposies in 10 hrs.

aiyana4969
09-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Well I got 2 yards and 11 of the insert cuts. I figure this will be a quick way to make some absorbant inserts for the GAD's I have coming. DD seems to soak through everything!!

Make sure you sanwich it between other fabrics! Or it won't hold up to washing. I use 2 layers of zorb in between bamboo fleece and obv.

aiyana4969
09-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Ok, I think I want some. I just cannot swallow that shipping charge. Somebody wanna split it?

As soon as I get paid for this order, I'm ordering 20 yds. I went thru 10 yds like crazy. If you want a yard or two I'd be willing to share. It's pretty lightweight and doesn't coast much to send in the US.

r.j.
09-07-2008, 09:58 PM
I am not feeling the love for this stuff yet. . . I will try it in a fitted I am working on. I used 2 layers in an insert and was not impressed at all. It does absorb and distribute liquid FAST. So maybe it would be a good companion to hemp? Hmmm. I need a more scientific way to compare all the various options ;).

RJ

Snazzy Fannies
09-08-2008, 08:10 AM
I am not feeling the love for this stuff yet. . . I will try it in a fitted I am working on. I used 2 layers in an insert and was not impressed at all. It does absorb and distribute liquid FAST. So maybe it would be a good companion to hemp? Hmmm. I need a more scientific way to compare all the various options ;).

RJ

The jury is still out here too. I'm still finding hemp to be way more absorbant, and not as bulky. I made one diaper that had one layer in the body (normal for my diapers), plus 2 layers in the snap in soaker (usually has 4 layers of hemp, but 4 layers of zorb is bulky!)...and it's fine for a day diaper, but it was absolutely drenched in the morning.

I made a HW version for a friend with the same # of layers as my hemp HW and it's WAY more bulky.

Colleeny
09-08-2008, 09:19 AM
It seems as thought this Zorb is a Fast soaker material, with great dispersment of liquid. So, combine that with a material that holds a ton, and it should be dynamite! I am willing to bet, this stuff works best to cover or wrap around a hemp insert, or to be used as the top layer in a fitted, with one more layer overtop to keep it from wearing. For heavy wetters...that is. For FAST wetters, maybe zorb is fine all by itself?

Rainshine Designs
09-08-2008, 09:31 AM
I saw that Mike from Wazoodle says that they're not proponents of hemp in diapers...why? What's the problem with hemp? Anyone know?

chatterbox
09-08-2008, 11:39 AM
humm... no idea, except maybe because they don't have a source to buy/resell it? could that possibly be the reason?

TinkerPlink
09-08-2008, 07:13 PM
I saw that Mike from Wazoodle says that they're not proponents of hemp in diapers...why? What's the problem with hemp? Anyone know?

:popcorn:

crystalanne79
09-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Hemp starts to smell after awhile.

Prettylocks
09-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Great thread! I'd love to hear more :D

quiltingdiva257
09-19-2008, 08:59 AM
I bought 2 yards of this to make into inserts, and so far its worked great! I made different types to test how they worked. I sandwiched two layers of Zorb between bamboo fleece, I used one layer of Zorb between bamboo fleece to use as a doubler for nights, I made some with two layers of Zorb and only bamboo fleece on one side. I'm going to make some more with Zorb sandwiched between flannel and hemp terry.

So far the ones that I've made and washed several times are working well. I like it, and I have a super heavy wetter day and night.

The Fancy Pansy
09-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Okay, I don't have my baby yet to try my zorb out on (I got the sample cut), but I did do a little experimenting.:giggle:
I took two glasses and put 1/2 cup water in each of them, then took a piece of the zorb and a (same sized) piece of good ol' walmart microfiber towel, and dunked them each in one of the cups. My very scientific results were that the zorb soaked up the water really really fast, the microfiber was just a hair slower, and when I picked them back up out of the cups, the microfiber actually picked up more water (about 1/3 more-ish :giggle: ). BUT, the microfiber didn't keep the water in it very well, and about 1/2 of that third ran back into the cup, whereas the zorb held onto what it picked up really well, just barely dripping. Once both of the pieces were at about the same level of dripping, the microfiber still held a little more water than the zorb....

so my conclusion was that I think I'm going to use the zorb as a top layer over the microfiber in my dipes to give it the speed of absorption, but since the microfiber (at least the microfiber i use) still held more, I wouldn't get rid of it entirely. This zorb sample gave me enough for quite a few dipes, by the method I'm using, but I don't think I'll plan on reordering.

tiredmommyof8
09-27-2008, 07:41 AM
the material is a bamboo/poly blend that's kept very secret. The mama's I've had try it all love it (except one, I think she was looking for a cloth sposie, as thin and as absorbant). Drying time for us is the same as any diaper. I make snap-in soakers for my fitteds so they dry in one cycle. This is not the werid Zorb car drying rag in the auto section that has to be wet to work, totally different. To me, it reminds me of carpet padding only blue.

It's THE only thing that works for us at night. My LO soaks thru sposies in 10 hrs.

I have a small piece and was thinking that it kind of looks and feels like felt.

Treasures Of Mine
02-18-2009, 11:44 PM
:bumpsign: for more info :)

moml
03-16-2009, 10:03 PM
For those who have sewn inserts/doublers/soakers with Zorb, do you find you get compression wicking or leaking at the stitching?

Rita07
03-17-2009, 07:05 AM
For those who have sewn inserts/doublers/soakers with Zorb, do you find you get compression wicking or leaking at the stitching?

I don't have any problem with compression wicking or leaking with my zorb and I don't even think I used 100% poly thread. That said my diaper outers are PUL and the diapers fit so well that they are virtually bullet proof.

Goinatural
03-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Yay! I like it too!

moml
03-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't have any problem with compression wicking or leaking with my zorb and I don't even think I used 100% poly thread. That said my diaper outers are PUL and the diapers fit so well that they are virtually bullet proof.

Excellent. I've ordered their pre-cuts (cuz I'm lazy ;)) and I also ordered the thread they recommended. Hopefully it will arrive soon-ish and I'll be able to report back how they work as lay-in soakers in my all flannel fitteds. (I ordered bamboo fleece tops, zorb inners, and cotton flannel backers)

marrsgirl
06-02-2009, 06:55 PM
I ordered the pre-cut soakers. I found it super easy to cut, pin, sew and serge.
I used two layers as hidden soakers in fitted diapers. Seems to be fairly absorbent. It's a hell of a lot easier to work with than microfiber terry! I hate cutting that stuff and there's always little white specks all over everything for weeks afterwards.
My diapers came out pretty trim; I used Wazoodles' cotton sherpa as the outer, and that's what added all of the bulk. I used their "diaper liner jersey", (I think that's what it's called) as the inner body layer, with a layer of flannel as a hidden body layer.
The jersey reminds me of that netting stuff on the inside of boys'/ mens' swimsuits; it has this waffle pattern all over it. It does wick well, is super thin and lightweight, and sews easily. Poo rinses off of it like a dream with my sprayer, and it doesn't stain at all. The only con about it is that it's not really minky soft like microfleece or suedecloth, but that's not to say that it's course or anything.
Back to the Zorb; the diapers seem to be doing well. I even used one at night with good results, although I'd probably feel better about it with one more layer of Zorb for nighttime. The diapers have been washed about ten times and are holding up well; no loss in absorbency and no weird odors like with microfiber.
I found the shipping costs to be reasonable for the amount I ordered, and received my order pretty quickly; I ordered on a Wednesday and received the following Monday.

medaroge
06-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I've been reading up on this fabric and it sounds like the "Sham-WOW!" type of cloth, any thoughts?

Chey
06-02-2009, 11:54 PM
it is NOT the sham wow cloth.

Sham wow has to be already wet to absorb properly. Zorb does not. Somewhere there is a person from Wazoodle who posted to one of the Zorb threads...might even be this one, I'm not going to look though, and talked about the components in Zorb.

sillygirl
06-03-2009, 05:22 AM
I am waiting on some to come to me!! I had to get a yard to try.

retromommy
10-19-2009, 11:39 PM
great thread!

Pompoms
10-20-2009, 07:54 AM
I order from Wazoodle frequently and use the Zorb alot. If you sew it right onto the inside of the diaper (onto the suedecloth, whatever) it holds up in the wash pretty well and I recommend using vinegar in the rinse to get rid of odors with it.

hornbeck0920
07-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Bumping this for more info. It's been quite some time since this thread started. How are you guys liking this stuff? Does it hold up over time? I'm planning to make my own dipes soon and want to know if this stuff is better than microfiber? The only inserts I've ever used are MF and I'm wondering if I should just stick to what I know??

LoreZyra
12-14-2010, 07:39 AM
I have found a lot of support and good feedback about the Zorb material.

Would anyone have experience or opinion about the next generation of Zorb - Zorb II Diamond/Dimple?

I'm looking for the best combo of materials to create a soaker for an incontinent adult.

I'm currently thinking about this:

MicroFleece
Zorb II Diamond
Sherpa
Zorb II Diamond
MicroFleece

Since the adult version would be very similar to the infant diapers I figured that all the knowledge here would be just as valuable.

crystalanne79
12-15-2010, 09:15 AM
I have spoken to Wazoodle about their new Zorb and pretty much the only difference is that the Zorb 2 is already sandwiched between cotton/bamboo. I'm not sure if that makes it worth the extra cost over the regular Zorb if you are going to sandwich it anyways.

As for how many layers, that may be up to your sewing machine. My machine can handle 2 layers of Zorb and a layer of thinner fabric and that's it. It will also depend on how bad the incontinence is. Some do not need very much and some need a LOT.

blossomgoat
12-16-2010, 06:32 AM
I'm starting to wonder of the zorb I bought on FSOT is really zorb as my 18 mos old can pee through 3 layers of it in an hour and leak right out of the diaper. I'm talking about three layers of substantial size, too, not a tiny piece in the wetzone. It seems everyone else is thinking that it absorbs like crazy and the dipes I made, not so well.

LoreZyra
12-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I have spoken to Wazoodle about their new Zorb and pretty much the only difference is that the Zorb 2 is already sandwiched between cotton/bamboo. I'm not sure if that makes it worth the extra cost over the regular Zorb if you are going to sandwich it anyways.

As for how many layers, that may be up to your sewing machine. My machine can handle 2 layers of Zorb and a layer of thinner fabric and that's it. It will also depend on how bad the incontinence is. Some do not need very much and some need a LOT.

As the diaper needs to with-stand a full 8 hour overnight sleep period, I'm guessing that a 5-layer combination should hold it. The incontinence is heavy -- for a combo - Stress with/ urge incontinence. If anyone could post how much a single layer could contain of urine by volume, that may help me in my designs.

kbstanley3
12-18-2010, 11:52 AM
I had some Zorb at one point and it was the first round stuff (it was blue colored). I didn't find it to absorb any more than cotton batting would! My LO could easily pee through 2 full layers sandwhiched between cotton fleece in one pee. I still can't figure out why it seems to work so much better for everyone else?

zapzipzee
01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
How long does it take zorb to dry?

Zorb (white, like batting) is dry when I remove my PUL pockets from the dryer after about 15min on low. Zorb II (cream dimpled) is still a little damp after my FB soakers are dry.

zapzipzee
01-21-2011, 03:20 PM

RJ

I tested an unwashed small diaper cut compared to a well washed small FB soaker. Zorb held 1/4 C warm water, FB held 3/4C before dripping when picked up.

LoreZyra
03-19-2011, 11:56 PM
I recently received my order of 40 yards of Zorb (regular, white). It appears to actually be a mix of (HWM) Rayon. I will begin testing it soon and will post my findings here.

LoreZyra
03-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Zorb I (white, like batting) does not recover when stretched. It has a little strength to resist separation. It requires an additional layer such as cotton to provide strength. As such, it's possible for this material to lose shape and start piling after numerous machine washings.
Depending on the construction technique, Zorb is able to absorb over 3 times its weight in fluid. A square or circular thread pattern with cotton can strengthen the structure and life of this fabric. Plus, adding a thread pattern will reduce piling after numerous washes.

By weight and volume, Zorb absorbs between 2 - 3 times its weight. By comparison of absorption rates with double-gauze cotton, it absorbs approximately 2 times faster and hold significantly more fluid.
When wet, Zorb is highly flame resistant. There is no significant shrinkage in this fabric when wet and heated.
When compressed with typical body weight and saturated, Zorb has a low retention rate. Simply put, approximately 60-75% of all fluid is pushed out when sat on. This means you will need a layer of fabric to act as a barrier above the Zorb.

Zorb seems best suited as a quick soaker that can quickly redistribute fluid to other parts of the diaper when compressed. Zorb 1, by itself, would not perform very well as the sole fabric of a diaper. This fabric is meant to be combined with other fabrics for the best diaper performance.

LoreZyra
03-20-2011, 06:33 AM
I will continue to test this fabric out.

Next, I will continue with some endurance tests. Since I plan to exhaustively test this fabric out, it make take some time to gather the data.

Check back in a few weeks. I have another 35 yards to test with. So, please be patient.

Flower3
04-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all the great info!! Will come back to see if more reviews have been posted! :)

Lovely Momma
04-26-2011, 04:37 PM
yay!! i ordered 14 or 16 of the precut material for inserts :thumbsup:

LoreZyra
04-26-2011, 06:17 PM
For heavy incontinence, I have found that 2 layers of Zorb I combined with 10 thin layers of double-gauze cotton and 2 layers of polar-microfleece are enough to hold for 9 hours sleep. Worth noting that the user does not toss-and-turn much while sleeping.
** I use a custom "pocket" diaper shell I designed to fit an adult. I've built in leg gathers and barriers similar to disposable diapers. Additionally, I've treated all seams of the shell with a spray-on water barrier for that extra bit of protection. The spray I use is the same used for water-proofing camping gear. This is critical as the holes created by the sewing needle are points where the diaper shell will leak.*
**The shell design is_ more_ important than the absorbent core of the diaper. The core needs to move and store the fluid while the shell serves as containment. Plus, the shell and core require a barrier fabric to protect the skin. *My shell design is based on several weeks of research through patent applications of all diaper designs submitted over the last 20 years in both the U.S. and Japan.*
** The design of the absorbent core using Zorb 1 (an absorbent Rayon) is folded and layered to quickly move all fluid to the primary storage layers of the core. The layering of my design:
** 1. MicroFleece (Outer casing)
**2. Double-cotton gauze (folded)
**3.*Double-cotton gauze (folded)
**4. Zorb (folded)
**5.*Double-cotton gauze (folded around flat Zorb)
**6. Zorb (flat)
**7.*Double-cotton gauze (folded)
**8.*Double-cotton gauze (folded)
**9.*MicroFleece (Outer casing)
Total thickness is about 1 inch.*
** While Zorb has excellent fluid retention in the absence of compression, it does serve well enough to retain fluid when the bottom storage layer-fabric is saturated. Polar-microfleece serves as an excellent skin barrier fabric. Just be sure to allow it to Sun dry. Sun drying is far better than a dryer as the radiation from the sun will kill all bacteria and even bleach out any remaining stains.*
**I'll post some more "scientific" data later...

karenthudson06
09-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Zorb is also available from wahmsupply

She is so helpful. The material description on her site is :

"Improved performance of reusable cloth diapers and accessory products. Zorb absorbs 10x it's weight in less than half a second. Soft flexible surface, cuts easily with scissors, rotary cutters, cloth drills and die cutters. Lays flat after cutting, no fray, and no curl, sanitizes easily to help keep your products odor free, dries quickly, ideal for AOI's-no fussing with pockets. Zorb is sewn in as a middle layer in soakers, diapers and all types of absorbent pads. It is non-toxic and non-allergenic made of bamboo/cotton/viscose and poly micro fibers. NAFTA compliant. Manufactured in USA and Canada."

On WAHM, it is $4.99 for a 30" yard and $6.85 for a 45" yard. The shipping was $8.75, but I bought 7 yards of PUL, alova, hook and loop, and Zorb.

Hope this helps everyone,
Karen :-)

Also, she told me that the best way to use it is sandwiched between two layers of flannel or fleece. She said it only takes one layer to replace about 4 layers of fabric. :-)

TakodasMomma
09-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I wish I could figure out what I am doing wrong lol. I have zorb but I cannot get it to work!

jojoreta
09-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Subbing!! Great info in this thread!!

nbert921
09-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Zorb can be used for soakers, changing pads, nursing pads, diapers, incontinance pads or pretty much anything that would need to be absorbant. It is a new product that can only be found at www.Wazoodle.com. The website said it holds up to 8 times more absorbant than traditional soaker fabrics so I had to try it since my LO soaks threw everything I have ever tried including bamboo or terry. I had to make the diapers so thick that I could not get pants on over her diaper. With the Zorb the diapers are actually thiner than a disposable and she doesn't soak threw them even after sleeping threw the night. So no more waking her up every two hours or so just so she doesn't soak her crib.

What kind of diaper are you making with zorb? AIOs or pockets with a zorb insert? Or a fitted with a cover? I'm going to buy some because i LOVE trim diapers and i really want to start making my own. Please advise...feel free to PM me, too!

jojoreta
09-28-2011, 11:09 AM
What kind of diaper are you making with zorb? AIOs or pockets with a zorb insert? Or a fitted with a cover? I'm going to buy some because i LOVE trim diapers and i really want to start making my own. Please advise...feel free to PM me, too!

From the sounds of it you can use it with any type of dipe. I'm going to try and make an aio...wish me luck LOL