PDA

View Full Version : name ?

averysmom
06-22-2008, 04:18 PM
I have a question. We are expecting our adopted baby to come in about a week. We've talked to the birth mom about naming the baby. Us picking the 1st name and giving the baby her middle name. Well, today she mentioned that she was just going to give the baby a name on the birth cert. and that we can change it later. Does anyone have any experiece with that? I would really like the name we choose to be on the birth cert, but i've also heard that letting the biomom name the baby is part of the greiving process.

Any advice would be great..

Thanks.

Ontariomama
06-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I know with my adoption (from FC) I had a totally separate birth certificate from my bio mom with the name she wanted. Once my parents finalized the adoption, I got a new birth certificate with the name THEY chose for me. :)

CubanaYogini
06-22-2008, 04:22 PM
She gets to choose the name on the birth cert. When the adoption is finalized, a new birth cert. is created at the Bureau of Vital Statistics and your chosen name is then put on the new birth cert. The new birth cert. also lists you as the parents. And the old birth cert. is destroyed.

Also, before the finalization, papers will be filed either by your attorney or agency that will identify the child by your chosen name.

averysmom
06-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Ok All that makes sense to me, should we call her by the name we choose? We are in TX and we have to have the child for 6 months before the adoption can be final. So that time frame she will have the name that her birthmom gives her. Thank you for all your repilies.

Ontariomama
06-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Legally yes, but you will call her whatever you've named her. :)

averysmom
06-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Thanks mamas!!! I appreciate all the advice.!!:thumbsup:

TestifyToLove
06-22-2008, 09:30 PM
You can call her what you intend to name her. And, you can put her new name on any and all paperwork as well. We even have health insurance in the adoptive names before finalization.

But, yes they will issue a new birth certificate with your name for her after you finalize the adoption.

Ontariomama
06-26-2008, 05:02 PM
:yeahthat:

Mitchell has his new health card and all his school/medical stuff is in his new name, but we won't be final until next Spring (long story).

connorsmama
06-26-2008, 05:06 PM
i am a birthmother, and i had a few names picked out before i had my birthdaughter, and they wanted the name Noelle for her. well.. .when i had her i couldnt think of a better name for her than noelle... she just looked like a noelle. and she has my middle name.
i understand how the birhtmother feels. it would be a really important part of her greaving process to have a name for her that noone else can take away. it will be her special name for her. just understand that even if the baby is going to be yours... she needs something to hold on to as well. :hugs:

MCR
06-26-2008, 08:55 PM
:yeahthat:

Mitchell has his new health card and all his school/medical stuff is in his new name, but we won't be final until next Spring (long story).

We had that too, new medical cards with new numbers all came in the new name way before finalization.
Plus the new birth certificate comes and it looks like you gave birth, no mention of adoption, that really surprised me.

Ontariomama
06-27-2008, 04:56 PM
I didn't like that part, so we made SURE to get a copy of his original before the adoption. :) I fibbed and said he needed it for school..... but he was already in grade 2!! :roflmbo:

allhiskids
09-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Our newborn adopted child was named by the case worker. Official stuff had that name on it, but had had signed intent paperwork upon receiving him and it officially state that he was to be known as our chosen name.

logansmoose
09-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I encouraged our birth mother to write whatever name she wanted on the birth certificate, but she insisted on using our first name with a family name (from her family) for the middle name that we had agreed upon. We will be giving her a hebrew name from her birth family which is also nice. I don't think our birth mom liked the idea of her name being changed after the adoption, although I thought that was her right to do so.

bug2003
09-18-2011, 01:34 PM
The girls' birth mom told us that we could name the girls if we wanted. We chose names for them and she even sent the birth certificate lady into our room at the hospital to get the info. I'm pretty sure even our names our on the birth certificates as the lady was asking our names and spelling as well as the names for the girls.

Our case, though, is honestly pretty rare. Most birth mothers choose to name the baby and it is later changed at finalization.