PDA

View Full Version : Qtip alternative?

Apple_Dumplin
07-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Just curious.. is there a reusable version of the qtip out there somewhere? :goodvibes: .. or are qtips recycleable? What do you do?

Hoping2BaMomma
07-04-2008, 09:04 AM
I've been wondering this too. Some of the qtips have plastic in between the cotton tips, but aren't some like cardboard?

sup3rmom2logan
07-05-2008, 04:14 PM
hmmmm

StacyW
07-05-2008, 04:39 PM
The ones I buy are cardboard....I don't know if I could give them up though:)

kristinc
07-05-2008, 04:41 PM
you could try ear candles instead. They are made of muslin fabric and beeswax and there is nothing left of them but a stump when you are done sucking the wax out. it is great for cleaning out the ears & sinuses! i love them!!

StacyW
07-05-2008, 04:54 PM
How do they work?? Do you have a link??

ustasmom
07-05-2008, 06:13 PM
There is something from Japan. Like tiny little spoons.

I'll keep my Q-tips, thanks.

sydney
07-05-2008, 06:32 PM
I saw something at Walgreens once, but did not buy it. It was plastic and made for cleaning your ears and it was reusable.

weegrace
07-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Check your local Asian market. They might have one in their health care aisle. There is this thing that looks like a teeny tiny spoon that they use to scrape wax out of their ears. I don't know what they call them though, but I've seen them. If you don't find them and need more specifics I can ask a friend what it is called.

abraswell
07-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Here is what I found about ear candling http://www.bibkit.com/howtoearcandle.html

whitecalx
07-05-2008, 07:00 PM
If you are using them for ear cleaning a q-tip is not the best option as it can cause impaction (but I know it feels so good!).

A better option is to once a week or so put in equal parts water and hydrogen peroxide with an eye dropper, lay on your side 5 minutes and then drain it out. On other days you can let the shower spray into your ears to clean them out.

The peroxide feels great and cleans all sorts of gunk out!

tlaquepaque
07-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Ahh! Don't put anything in your ears! You need cerumen, it makes your ear healthy and your ear is self-cleaning. Here's some links. I have some super graphic injury pictures from class but I will spare you guys. Oh, I'm a speech and hearing science major.
This is an illustration of what a q-tip can do.
http://shrinkalink.com/25171

Candling isn't recommended either, BTW.

marieliza
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Ahh! Don't put anything in your ears! You need cerumen, it makes your ear healthy and your ear is self-cleaning. Here's some links. I have some super graphic injury pictures from class but I will spare you guys. Oh, I'm a speech and hearing science major.

How about the H2O/H202 or just lettting the shower water hit it? It seems like sometimes (when they get itchy) they need a little help with cleaning . . .

tlaquepaque
07-06-2008, 09:37 AM
A couple drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ear occasionally is probably okay but the risk with anything "cleansing" is that it will dry out the skin lining the ear canal. The dryness causes a cycle of itchiness that a person associates with needing to be cleaned.

A better alternative and the one that I use is to put a couple drops of olive oil in your ear which will soften wax and then it will come out in the shower or you can wipe it away with a wash cloth. This is adequate for most people.

Sometimes a person will produce more wax than usual and it can get impacted from attempts to clean. This needs to be removed by a doctor because it is impacted next to the eardrum which is a very delicate structure. After a proper cleaning you can maintain at home if you learn how and use the proper tools. ENT doctors use a looped flexible wire to remove excess wax.

Since wax is only produced in the outer 1/3 of the ear canal the instrument needs to only go in only 1/2 to 3/4 of a cm. It's easy to get overzealous at home and this is when accidents happen.

I saw a guy in clinic last quarter who was delicately cleaning his ears with a q-tip and his roommate opened the door to the bathroom and hit his arm which jammed the q-tip through the tympanic membrane and damaged the ossicles. Not pretty!

StacyW
07-06-2008, 09:41 AM
OUCH!!

kristinc
07-06-2008, 09:46 AM

It isn't recommended by some MD's but it is by natural health care providers. You need to clean some of the ear wax out so that you can hear, but it needs to be done in a manner that doesn't involve pushing the ear wax further in to the ear canal and infrequently so some ear wax remains. I can't tell you how many little kids ears i have looked in to that are completely full of ear wax!! So bad that I can't even view the eardrum. So it needs to be done.

The warm water and peroxide works great as well assuming there is no perforation of the eardrum.:thumbsup:

C&EsMom
07-06-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't do anything to my ears :headscratch: Didn't know I should. I just check them occasionally for wax on the outer part with my finger. I never put anything down in my ear and I hear just great.

kristinc
07-06-2008, 06:14 PM
I never put anything down in my ear and I hear just great.

I thought the same thing until i was getting a sinus infection so did an ear candle (my first experience with candling) and after the first candle my hearing was freaking supersonic. We went to the movies that night and i had to sit there with my fingers in my ears b/c my hearing was soooo much clearer than it ever had been....and i didn't even think i wasn't hearing well.

rissarella
07-06-2008, 06:31 PM
You can use an ear wax remover, if that is what you are using the q-tip for. I use them because my ear canals are small and q-tips only make it worse.
http://www.taylorgifts.com/prodetail~itemNo~24716.asp

I don't know about the rest of uses for q-tips. I do know that I wouldn't want a reusable q-tip for my ears, though. :yuck: Lol!

paquitapug
07-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Ear candles did absolutely nothing for me. glad to hear they work for some people.

missykay
07-07-2008, 02:35 PM
My DH is Chinese so we use the ear pick/scooper things. I was scared at first but they really are great. We don't use them on DS though. I just wash his ears with a washcloth when I can see the wax.