PDA

View Full Version : Someone familiar w/back labor, pls respond...

abbi77
07-07-2008, 12:55 PM
I feel like I should know these things by now, considering this is my 4th time around, but I've been having moderate (7-8/10) back pain consistently since about 10 this morning. I've noticed a few ctx, but nothing more than my normal really, and the back pain doesn't seem to be affected by them, it's pretty constant. I'm measuring 39 weeks, and OB & I agree my EDD is probably off (conceived on BC, so it's up in the air as to when ovulation occured, since it shouldn't have, lol). I'm sort of hoping this is doing something, I'm scheduled for an appt tomorrow morning, so I don't plan to call today unless something changes & I really think this is it. Any thoughts? For those who had posterior presentation/back labor--was it in waves like ctx or more constant?

Other than "head down" I haven't had anyone tell me her presentation, so I'm not sure on that. I thought she dropped quite a bit lower last week, but I can't really tell--NEVER noticed any of my prev. babies dropping @ all. Major nesting all weekend, but we all know that can last a while.

Thanks for any advice!

arayasunshine
07-07-2008, 01:53 PM
I've been having horrible, throbing back pain but I'm not in labor. It was the kind of pain that made me think I was in labor but then it suddenly goes away.

ahnah74
07-08-2008, 08:07 AM
if it hasn't stopped and getting stronger then you are in labor. i've had back labor for 6 of my 7 and it's all the same. at 1st i'm not sure then as it progresses and gets worse i know it's labor. hope it is for you.

abbi77
07-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the wishes, but as of this morning, she's still floating, 0 cm dilated, 0% effaced...lol. Not sure where the back pain's coming from, I haven't really done anything different, it stopped for a while last night but came back pretty strong at about 3 am. On the plus side, I finally got the OB to look @ my early records (moved & switched providers @ 14 weeks) and agree with me that I'm not really measuring super-huge, the dates they've been using from my early u/s were wrong, meaning that measuring 39 weeks now is still within the normal range. :) So my EDD's moved back to where I knew it was anyway, and he agrees I'm probably closer to 37 weeks than the 35 they were calling me. :) She'll come out when she's ready.

zenmama
07-08-2008, 10:00 AM
yep, that sounds like back labor. I had it with ds and it was awful there just isnt anything that makes it better for more than a few minutes! Here are a few things to try:

Heat
Walking
Rocking Chair (Sit on a pillow or doughnut cushion)
A tennis ball in a sock (you can "sling" it behind you and back up to a wall for pressure)

:hugs: mama!

toni520
07-08-2008, 01:09 PM
I had back labor for four days (braxton hicks my a*s if it causes you to continue to dialate it is labor PERIOD) I dialated from 2-5 cm over those 4 days and was 90% effaced when I went to the hospital. The pain for me in my back was constant I felt it between contractions and worse when the contractions hit the only contraction I actually felt in my stomach (much less painful one btw) I was in a tub full of warm (to be honest it was hot water prob to hot to be good for the baby but I was 18 and didnt know anybetter and it was the only thing that worked) It was really really no fun I honestly cant think of anything else that could be causing the pain other then back labor at that late of a stage in your pregnancy. Good luck mama Try a warm bath!!

keegans_mommy
07-08-2008, 02:43 PM
When your baby moves, do you feel a lot in your front or your side? If it's in front, he's posterior. I had that with DD#1 and so far with this last baby. He's breech AND posterior so far. I feel nothing but limbs up front. I am really working on trying to get him to spin around to avoid both presentations because having back labor was MUCH worse than going all natural.

keegans_mommy
07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
BTW-getting into a hot shower and have the spray hit you where it hurts the most was, IMO the BEST way to combat the pain of each contraction. :)

3boysmom
07-08-2008, 02:53 PM
BTW-getting into a hot shower and have the spray hit you where it hurts the most was, IMO the BEST way to combat the pain of each contraction. :)

Ditto that.

I live in my shower at the end of pregnancy. With the heat cranked up (im a rebel! lol) and the spray as forceful as I can get it, right where it hurts the worse. I'll shower 5-10+ times a day just for the relief I get from this!!!

peetred
07-14-2008, 01:54 PM
My back pain came consistently in a rythym like regular contractions. My son was born face up, he never turned so it was all back labor! Hope it happens soon mama!