PDA

View Full Version : BAD diaper rash...yeast? HELP please!!

frenchie
07-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Hey mommas...DD has a real bad diaper rash. This is a first for me. DD has a couple molars coming in, so she's had a minor rash/inflammation. Well, yesterday morning she woke up screaming. I tried nursing her and consoling her, but she wasn't having any part of it. It was 5:30 in the morning...she usually wakes up around 8:00 or 9:00. I got up with herand took her into the living room. She was whining and fussing...just not her normal self. After a couple minutes I took to wake up, I took her diaper off...POOP!! She never poops in her sleep! I got her cleaned up, and discovered why she was so upset, her whole bottom/vagina was beet red. On top of her vagina, she had a few raised spots, looks like spider bites, and then a few larger areas on hger bottom that are raised. I let her cruise for a few minutes without the diaper to air out. I slathered her up with some Burt's Bees diaper ointment, and diapered her up. It didn't improve at all. This morning when I changed her diaper, it's worse. I let her cruise without a diaper, and she ended up with an OPEN SORE on her labia. I'm guessing from sitting and inadvertantly rubbing it on the carpet. Her iaper area looks aweful. I just put some A&D type diaper ointment on, and diapered her up with a new diaper.
My question is, could this diaper rash be yeast, and how do I strip it out of my diapers if it is. How do I treat a yeast diaper rash...with topical Monistat? How do I determine if this is a yeast rash?

xelasminin
07-08-2008, 11:41 AM
we just went through this. I did everything I could think of naturally first, like airing her out for long periods and it didn't do anything!

So I asked the nurse at my breastfeeding group to look at it since I couldn't get it to clear up. She said it was yeast just looking at it.

So she told me to go to the store and ask the pharmacist about this new diaper rash creme that is OTC for yeast. they didn' thave any but they told me to use

regular diaper rash cream and anifungal mixed together. use equal amounts. 2 treatments of that stuff and my daughter was MUCH better!

LilOutlaws
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
DS gets them a lot :banghead:
Airing out is a good idea, we also do:
Monistat (or Vusion, but it's an expensive scrip. You can fake it with monistat mixed with desitin and a little vaseline)
baths with baking soda and/or tea tree oil
Alternate diaper changes, one with monistat/vusion and one with neosporin..
HTH!

frenchie
07-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks mommas!! I'll go to the pharmacist today, and see what they say. Should I try Walgreen's or go to Rite Aid? Xelasminin...what antifungal cream did you use?

ceilismom
07-08-2008, 12:55 PM
you can use either the stuff for athlete's foot (lotrimin and the like) or the monistat type stuff. I think the athlete's foot stuff is cheaper, and if this is a first time yeast infection, will probably do the job.

xelasminin
07-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks mommas!! I'll go to the pharmacist today, and see what they say. Should I try Walgreen's or go to Rite Aid? Xelasminin...what antifungal cream did you use?

generic of lotrimin

justwrght
07-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I've been dealing with this too...week 3 of scripts! So tired of calling the doctor. :banghead: I was afraid to use monistat. Thanks for the diaper cream, vaseline, monistat remedy!

I do have a question about the dipes, though. I use fleece liners so the cream doesn't get directly on the dipe (I use BGs), but do I need to strip them with something special? Dawn? Bleach? :headscratch:

Suzanne
07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
If it is yeast, you can mix some powdered probiotics with breastmilk into a paste, and slather that all over the red parts.

momof2jmwjaw
07-08-2008, 03:40 PM
We are going through this exact thing right now. I feel so bad. He had a huge open sore and two little ones. We have a script for yeast and it is working. When he gets them not so bad we use lotriman and a diaper cream. Hope she gets better.

Manna00
07-08-2008, 03:47 PM
:hugs: momma. We've never had yeast.. but some major diaper rashes in reaction to sposies--I'll keep poor little Gidget in my prayers.

Griffinsmom
07-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Our uni hospital's and my ped's recipe for yeast diaper rash is: 2 parts ishles paste (high concentration of zinc) with 1 part nystatin cream and 1 part vit E ointment. They will also sometimes add in a bit of 1% cortisone cream if it's really painful and they need it to come down fast.

I modified the recipe and swapped the vit E for Caledula ointment and if I don't have Ishle's paste, I'll use Burt's.
I use fleece liners and really airy diapers and change with each pee during that time.
To kill the yeast in your diapers people always recommend putting grapefruit seed extract in your diaper laundry.

Mama_Lola
07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Here (http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081401.asp) is a picture of what a yeast rash may look like.

We just got rid of a yeast infection with my DD. Here is what we did and her rash was gone within 4-5 days.
- Monistat cream
- Grapefruit Seed Extract. 10 drops per oz of water in her wipes solution
- Tea Tree Oil. Couple drops in wipes solution, along with a few in her bath. Also added some to diaper laundry.
- Acidopholus. We put it in her sippy cup and I took it as well so she would get it through my milk.
- I ate no sugar and made sure that DD got as little sugar as possible in her diet.
- We stripped her diapers by adding a few pots of boiling water to the wash, baking soda + vin, dawn, rinse 2x and dry on hot. Then I hung them in the sun for 3-4 hours.

HTH!

luvsviola
07-08-2008, 09:10 PM
We just went through this. Triple Paste worked for us when nothing else did. I put fleece liners in the diapers and used all pockets during the day and sposies at night so that wetness was kept away from the skin.

It still took the sores more than a week to heal on their own after the redness was gone.

jewelzbird
07-08-2008, 10:15 PM
wipe only with water (wash out the soapy stuff in wipes if you use store ones), no saops in the bath either for now...
Our doc said no regular rash creams cuz many have bases that grow the yeast. When it got that bad that it was open we had to do a rotation of
antifungal (nystatin from the doc or lotrimin)
cortisone
tripple antibiotic ointment (NOT neosporin brand it is irritating)
for every diaper change we mixed two of them together and put it all over. it worked fast here!

frenchie
07-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Thank you ladies!!! Her rash looks a little batter today, as far as inflammation, but the sores are still icky. I'm going to follow the directions for stripping the dipes, and buy some lotrimin for the rash. I was putting A&D (by Avalon Organics) type oinment on it yesterday, then putting a liner down to protect the diaper. Unfortunately, the ointment still got on the dipes...darn it. I'm almost tempted to buy some sposies to use until the rash is gone.

justwrght
07-09-2008, 01:30 PM
What ultimately worked for us was alternating treatments. I did a session of script level with powder, then a medicated ointment (like neosporin), and then calmoseptine (available at the drug store...behind the counter...we rotated that for a couple days and that cleared it up. Good luck!!!

JabbersMom
07-09-2008, 09:28 PM
This has worked for us. http://www.motherlove.com/images/product_diaper_rash_relief.jpg
motherlove diaper rash and thrush (http://www.motherlove.com/product_diaper_rash_relief.php). It's good for ALL types of dipe rash so even if it's not yeast, it should take care of it. It's so soothing.