PDA

View Full Version : Anyone refuse newborn eye treatment and/or vitamin K shot?

passthepickles
07-10-2008, 09:12 AM
I have an OB appointment today and plan to ask about it, but after doing some research, I really don't think that either of these are necessary.

Can I legally refuse the treatments?

kezoo
07-10-2008, 09:15 AM
I did. I just put it in my birth plan, which I reviewed w/ my OB/midwife before the births. I don't think the OB will give you any grief, but the ped in the hospital after the birth might...

SmileyMoo
07-10-2008, 09:15 AM
At my hospital you have to sign a release for everything they do to your baby. I don't see why you couldn't refuse. It is YOUR baby. How can they legally make you do it?

tommymommy
07-10-2008, 09:17 AM
I don't know, but I would really like to know what the OB says about the vitamin K shot. Pleas update even if nobody else responds.

Lisa_delo
07-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I was wondering the same thing. But I thought it varied State to State, do some have laws and others don't? I'm really confused about how everything works over here.

frenchie
I refused both with both of my kids. The nurse in the nursery when my son was born, decided to put the erythromycin in my son's eyes, regardless of the HUGE SIGN on his bassinett....he had an aweful reaction to it!! I was SOOOOO angry.
With my DD, they nurses were so great, and honored all of my requests. Yes, you can legally decline both.

Okmommy06
I just told my ob and the hospital ped. that I didn't want the eye treatment and they didn't do it, I didn't even remember telling them(DH told me while I was pushing I told them, haha) but they didn't do it. I didn't know about the Vit. K shot till a couple of months ago, i knew he got it, I just didn't know it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Edensmomma
07-10-2008, 09:20 AM
I refused the eye ointment but the Pedi wouldnt sign me out without my DD receiving the Vit. K shot. Our insurance wouldnt cover a thing if we didnt get the Pedi's release. So she got the stupid shot.
Next time, we are having a HOME BIRTH!!!

Lisa_delo
07-10-2008, 09:24 AM
I refused the eye ointment but the Pedi wouldnt sign me out without my DD receiving the Vit. K shot. Our insurance wouldnt cover a thing if we didnt get the Pedi's release. So she got the stupid shot.

That's what I'm worried about. We won't meet the pediatrician till I deliver. We will see who ever is on call that night. Then once released from the hospital we'll see one on base at the small clinic were my other two are seen.

OneFabMama
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
You can refuse anything you want! Hospitals only make it seem like it's mandatory. It's not. You might get h*ll for it though.

We are 'refusing' both the eye goop and the Vit. K but we did not have to put a fight with my midwife. :giggle:

delicatefade
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Can you post some info on this? I'm curious, as I didn't even know there was an issue with either :headscratch: Sorry for :threadhijacked: :)

OneFabMama
07-10-2008, 09:28 AM

I wonder if that was just them bullying you though? It's your child. It's not a LAW to have the vitamin K shot...

sahm108
07-10-2008, 09:29 AM
That's what I'm worried about. We won't meet the pediatrician till I deliver. We will see who ever is on call that night. Then once released from the hospital we'll see one on base at the small clinic were my other two are seen.

I declined both with DS and my ped dropped us from care in the delivery room. :thumbsup:
Fortunately I found another ped to sign us out of the hospital. If you have a specific one that you will see at the clinic, ask them to sign a paper saying that they approve of your decision so you can show it to the doctor on call.

passthepickles
07-10-2008, 09:30 AM
You can refuse anything you want! Hospitals only make it seem like it's mandatory. It's not. You might get h*ll for it though.

We are 'refusing' both the eye goop and the Vit. K but we did not have to put a fight with my midwife. :giggle:

Let me tell you- I switched practices to be in one with a midwife, but she was full. I have an appointment with her next week and I am going to BEG her to take me on. :giggle: If my husband wasn't so scared, I would be doing a home birth- but he's like a nervous chiwawa when it comes to birth- and I need the support of a professional. :giggle:

frenchie
07-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Here's the info I have found about VitK. VitK causes rapid cell division, which is fine. It helps the blood clot. Babies are not born with VitK in their gut, it developes after recieving breastmilk or formula, because it's a bacterial vitamin.
Now, what they believe is, that rapid cellular growth can lead to childhood leukemia. What they have found is, children that were FF AND recieved the VitK shot, are more likely to get the leukemia. Children that were BF and recieved the shot, much less likely. What they found is that FF children recieve an overload of VitK. The VitK in colostrum isn't as concentrated as that VK in formula.
The VitK shot is administered, because, though it's rare, babies can get bleeding on the brain and die. Say, you get in a fender bender on the way home from the hospital. That little jerk movement can trigger the bleeding. Until the VK is built up in their bodies, their blood clotting abilities are not that great.
The VK shot is safe, from what I've found...so you just have to weigh the risks, and decide what you are comfortable with.
I declined because we were staying in the hospital for 4 days, and knew my baby would recieve enough BM to have some VK growing in the gut.

OneFabMama
07-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Let me tell you- I switched practices to be in one with a midwife, but she was full. I have an appointment with her next week and I am going to BEG her to take me on. :giggle: If my husband wasn't so scared, I would be doing a home birth- but he's like a nervous chiwawa when it comes to birth- and I need the support of a professional. :giggle:

:hugs: I hope she will take you on, that would be awesome!

delicatefade
07-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Here's the info I have found about VitK. VitK causes rapid cell division, which is fine. It helps the blood clot. Babies are not born with VitK in their gut, it developes after recieving breastmilk or formula, because it's a bacterial vitamin.
Now, what they believe is, that rapid cellular growth can lead to childhood leukemia. What they have found is, children that were FF AND recieved the VitK shot, are more likely to get the leukemia. Children that were BF and recieved the shot, much less likely. What they found is that FF children recieve an overload of VitK. The VitK in colostrum isn't as concentrated as that VK in formula.
The VitK shot is administered, because, though it's rare, babies can get bleeding on the brain and die. Say, you get in a fender bender on the way home from the hospital. That little jerk movement can trigger the bleeding. Until the VK is built up in their bodies, their blood clotting abilities are not that great.
The VK shot is safe, from what I've found...so you just have to weigh the risks, and decide what you are comfortable with.
I declined because we were staying in the hospital for 4 days, and knew my baby would recieve enough BM to have some VK growing in the gut.

thanks Frenchie! I'm not too worried, since I bf'd both of my lo's, but I can see why people would choose not to.

hippienursemama
07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
we refused both. I knew the nursery nurse(co-worker) and she didn't give me any problems. Neither did my OB, or the ped. He never mentioned a word about it. I had a much easier time with DS2 refusing treatments and procedures.

mindycat72
07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
We did. I had both my mom and my DH in the delivery room, so one was always with the baby. I was afraid that someone would go into auto-pilot and just do it out of habit.

passthepickles
07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Can you post some info on this? I'm curious, as I didn't even know there was an issue with either :headscratch: Sorry for :threadhijacked: :)

A lack of Vitamin K can cause Hemorrhagic Disease in newborns. However- less than 2% of newborns have complications, and of those 2% serious complications are rare. The major downside to the shot is the almost 80% increased risk of developing childhood leukemia.

http://www.babyreference.com/VitaminKinjectORnot.htm

There are risk factors which make it "more necessary" for some babies to have it, but you can do a lot to prevent any problems just by allowing the placenta/cord to stop pulsating before it is clamped and cut. Premature cutting of the umbilical cord deprives a newborn of 25% to 40% of the physiological blood volume, and thus 25% to 40% of the physiological clotting factors.

The eye treatment is only necessary in momen with gonorrhea or chlamydia, as they can pass the infection to their baby as the baby passes through the birth canal.

amandaev
07-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Yes, you can refuse it. Sign a document and give it to the hossy, and watch your baby like a hawk! Coming from someon who refused it but DS got it ANYWAYS....I reccomend a natural childbirth so your not so "foggy", and you can make sure they dont do it.

Katherine
07-10-2008, 09:45 AM
we did w/ dd2. i just told my labor nurse and she sent for the refusal forms. they said i refused the treatments and acknowledged the possible negative outcomes. we used the ped on staff and when she asked about it, we explained why we refused and she was cool about it. our own ped never really asked.

just state flat out what you intend to do - don't ask.

frenchie
07-10-2008, 09:45 AM
A lack of Vitamin K can cause Hemorrhagic Disease in newborns. However- less than 2% of newborns have complications, and of those 2% serious complications are rare. The major downside to the shot is the almost 80% increased risk of developing childhood leukemia.

I will try and find a link...but they have found that the increased risk is in FF babies, because of the VK in formula. I found this info when I was pregnant with my DD...that info wasn't out when I has DS.

logansmomma07
07-10-2008, 09:46 AM
We are having a homebirth, so its different than at a hospital, but we are doing the eye goop, and I am still undecided about the vit k. My midwife told me it was all up to me what I wanted to do, and she wont be doing the eye ointment until 2 hours after birth. I see both good and bad of the vit k, I just can't decide if the good outweighs the bad (to me).

But the hospital can't force you to do anything. They CAN do it when you aren't looking and without telling you, as horrible as it is, so be sure someone is with baby at ALL times with BOTH eyes on him (or her).

Lisa_delo
07-10-2008, 09:47 AM
http://nyvic.org/nyvic/law/vitamin-k.htm

I found this about New York state laws, just trying to find something on CT. Apparently is state law that babies receive too in MA

frenchie
07-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Looks like the OP lives in Michigan.

Meri
07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
We signed the forms to refuse both, but the peds fought us on it. I was in the labor room for 24 hours before my labor started (my water had broken) and at the start of each shift the OB and Ped would come in and try to talk me into having both. My husband was already waffling about the Vit K shot... he wasn't sure he thought it was a good idea. So, HE caved on the shot (she got it two hours after she was born). About an hour after the baby was born--and she was asleep anyway--the ped came in AGAIN.. and I was SO tired and so happy that my birth had gone well (no pain meds with pitocin!), I was sick of fighting it. So I made them warm it to body temp and put it over her sleeping eyes. Didn't bother either of us--and they got off my back.

XoXo
07-10-2008, 10:09 AM
when i had DD, she was over 5 wks early.. the head PEDS person can down to "talk" to us about shots.. we agrees for the Vit K shot, cuz she was early , but we wanted to REFUSE the eye thing.. she said it was state law... then i DEMANDED my DD NOT be washed.. they all thought a i was crazy... we didn't bathe DD for 3 days... she has had NO OTHER hots since ;)

togg_mama
07-10-2008, 10:12 AM
I have never refused either, although I'm tempted to refuse the eye goop since I don't have any STDs. Just be careful about it. I have a friend in Ohio who had CPS called on them for refusing them both. The case was closed, but it was a stressful time in addition to recovery, etc., etc. and it opened their five older children up to questioning. Fortunately her hubby was smart enough to tell the CPS lady that this was about the baby and the care at the hospital, not the olders and they backed off, but still...

ceilismom
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I did with DD#2. my MW just handed us the eye goop and the vit. K and told us if her eyes got mattery to use the goop, and we could wait a day or 2 for the vit. K since there was no birth trauma. I never used either, and it's a good thing as it was near impossible to get enough blood out of that baby for the PKU test without the vit K.

Lisa_delo
07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Ha ha found this!

http://www.vaclib.org/legal/stateresource.htm

mjokirk
07-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I declined both with DS and my ped dropped us from care in the delivery room. :thumbsup:
Fortunately I found another ped to sign us out of the hospital. If you have a specific one that you will see at the clinic, ask them to sign a paper saying that they approve of your decision so you can show it to the doctor on call.

Yeah, that...I was hoping you would reply April-May (this is Marissa, from DaL). :)

Liddle1
07-10-2008, 11:15 AM
I plan on refusing both. In my opinion, they're both totally unnecessary. Colostrum is packed full of vitamin K for one.

mommymilk
07-10-2008, 12:08 PM
http://nyvic.org/nyvic/law/vitamin-k.htm

I found this about New York state laws, just trying to find something on CT. Apparently is state law that babies receive too in MA

It isn't law in MA...I live here and just had my daughter 3 weeks ago...no eye goop or vitamin k injection...we did however give vitamin k orally...but even so, if we didn't want it, we didn't have to have it.

Calideedle
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I didn't with my last 2 because they were given to them while I was being sewn up and nobody would listen to me, this next will not get anything.

joanna19
07-10-2008, 12:11 PM
wow, I didn't realize these were an issue, thanks for the info on it. Very interesting.:thumbsup:

Steady101
07-10-2008, 12:31 PM
My first was born in the UK. They don't do either there routinely. My second was a homebirth and I declined them both.

kezoo
07-10-2008, 12:42 PM
My first was born in the UK. They don't do either there routinely. My second was a homebirth and I declined them both.

I think you've indirectly pointed something out here... $$$$
Why isn't it routine in the UK? Probably because they've studied who REALLY needs it & act accordingly because the gov't pays for it (National Health) vs. here, where hospitals try to make as much $$ as possible from insurance co's... :yuck: I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts if our gov't had to pay for it, it suddenly wouldn't be "standard" anymore.

Meri
07-10-2008, 12:45 PM
I think you've indirectly pointed something out here... $$$$
Why isn't it routine in the UK? Probably because they've studied who REALLY needs it & act accordingly because the gov't pays for it (National Health) vs. here, where hospitals try to make as much $$ as possible from insurance co's... :yuck: I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts if our gov't had to pay for it, it suddenly wouldn't be "standard" anymore.

I don't know... we have Kaiser--we pay them, they're our insurer AND our hospital/doctor's office. They still push it pretty hard even though they're paying for it.

trilla_marion
07-10-2008, 01:08 PM
We refused the eye goop. As soon as I got into my labor room I requested the form to waive that crap and then it wasn't a problem. No one argued with me about it. Good luck with that.

kecmom
07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
The eye treatment is only necessary in momen with gonorrhea or chlamydia, as they can pass the infection to their baby as the baby passes through the birth canal.

Just wanted to point out that this is not entirely true. I have zero stds/infections and refused the eye ointment. Unfortunately, dd4 ended up w/an infection at a couple days old and needed erythromyecin in both eyes multiple times a day for a week. The ped advsd that the birth canal is full of different types of bacteria and that she just picked one up on the way out.

Another point of interest is that some places use silver nitrate instead of the E ointment, which is more prone to causing a reaction. Just ask which they use.

I refused the vit K shot. Here's an interesting link (http://drbenkim.com/vitamin-K-shot-baby.html)on the vit K shot.

I simply had to sign waivers for both.

diane24
07-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I'll have to talk to my MW about it more but she looked over our birth plan and OK'd everything. Plus I'm refusing stuff anyway because our ped. doesn't have privledges at the hospital we deliever at so I don't want the on call ped doing whatever to my newborn with out knowing me or my other kiddo.

beenwaitingalongtime
07-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Absolutely. I did.
Put it in my birth plan, made it clear to nurses and the OB--no questions or problems.

iafrmgrl77
07-10-2008, 02:34 PM
You can legaly refuse both, but beware--if you let your child out of site, some health care professionals will administer them, regardless of what your wishes are! AND be aware also that it is incredibly easy for a pediatrician to cause you a LOT of grief, such as obtaining court orders that force you to allow them to administer vaccines or other treatments to your child.

I am not trying to scare you. It is just important that you be aware going in. I know several women who have had a really hard time with pedicatricians, nurses, etc. The main reason I always give birth at home is so that I have complete control over the care my child is getting.

Edensmomma
07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I wonder if that was just them bullying you though? It's your child. It's not a LAW to have the vitamin K shot...

I know...but my insurance wouldnt cover the delivery unless we got the pedi to sign us out. :(

By the way we have the same name, spelled the same way too!:giggle:

Edensmomma
07-10-2008, 03:41 PM
You can legaly refuse both, but beware--if you let your child out of site, some health care professionals will administer them, regardless of what your wishes are! AND be aware also that it is incredibly easy for a pediatrician to cause you a LOT of grief, such as obtaining court orders that force you to allow them to administer vaccines or other treatments to your child.

I am not trying to scare you. It is just important that you be aware going in. I know several women who have had a really hard time with pedicatricians, nurses, etc. The main reason I always give birth at home is so that I have complete control over the care my child is getting.

It's sad but true. Some nurses will do this. But that's called Battery, and it's illegal.

frenchie
07-10-2008, 05:58 PM
but we wanted to REFUSE the eye thing.. she said it was state law...
I see you're in CA...they are SERIOUSLY misinformed about the law. The law states that the iontment has to be available to every baby born in a hospital, BY LAW. That doesn't mean that it's law that every baby HAS to have it. Mommas, in the state of CA, you have the right to decline the ointment, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

OneFabMama
07-10-2008, 06:50 PM
I know...but my insurance wouldnt cover the delivery unless we got the pedi to sign us out. :(

By the way we have the same name, spelled the same way too!:giggle:

I am sure the Ped. knew that too which is why he bullied you into it. I'm sorry.

That is cool about our names. It's not every day (or really ever) I meet another Jena with 1 N. There is another mama here same name, and 1 N as well. :mrgreen:

JollyHolly
07-12-2008, 09:39 AM
I was wondering the same thing. But I thought it varied State to State, do some have laws and others don't? I'm really confused about how everything works over here.

I tried to refuse the eye cream w/ dd (didnt know yet about shot risks) and hosp told me it was IL state law to give it due to some sort of eye infection. They would only let me hold off giving the cream for 1 hr after birth. They said had to be applied w/in 1 hr. I think it all varies from state to state. HTH's.

keegans_mommy
07-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Sign a AMA waiver (against medical advice) and don't let them do anything to your baby you don't want them to do! They will use scare tactics too but dont' budge! It's your baby :)

MomsHelpingMoms
07-12-2008, 05:02 PM
We won't be refusing either, but a friend of mine did for the benefits that it has in preventing jaundice. Her son's levels were so low, they were off the charts. The only downside for them was that they would not perform a circumcision without the shot. Oh well, she didn't really want her son to have one anyway, the dad did.

Red Sonja
07-13-2008, 03:44 PM
I didn't know any better with DS and had them both done, hadn't even thought about it.

With DD (homebirth) we declined the eye treatment and had oral Vitamin K on hand in case of a rough delivery, we'll be doing the same this time around.

ashley798
07-14-2008, 09:59 AM
We refused them both with our last 3. We didn't have any issues until our son was born and they had a fit about the vit. K shot b/c we wanted him circumcised. So, they held him hostage in the nursery until I talked to the pediatrician (who tried hard to convince me to get it) and then I had to fill out a form. Then they released him to us, but wouldn't circumcise him until I finally met the Dr. the day we were going home and I explained to him the form of circumcision I wanted didn't cause any bleeding. So, they finally did it.
But, since you are having a girl I wouldn't think you'd have any problems.
My husband also follows the kiddos to the nursery just to make sure they don't go ahead and do something without our permission.

PoconoPrincess
07-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Wow, I was about to refuse the VK shot, and ask for oral for both me and the baby, when I read that if I am having a boy and he is circumsized it will cause issues! Im glad I read every previous post.... I wonder if they will give him oral for the day or two before he gets his circumcizion? I dont really want him to have that either, but hubby thinks its for the best...

prairiegirl
07-15-2008, 11:16 PM
my ds was a homebirth and I choose not to get the eye stuff or the vitamin k shot, my midwife was more supportive to not do it than to do it....but would give it if I wanted to. also he was circ. with no problem, your lil one naturally developes blood clooting in his body over time shortly after birth and by the time you go for the circ his blood clotting will be ok

ashley798
07-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Wow, I was about to refuse the VK shot, and ask for oral for both me and the baby, when I read that if I am having a boy and he is circumsized it will cause issues! Im glad I read every previous post.... I wonder if they will give him oral for the day or two before he gets his circumcizion? I dont really want him to have that either, but hubby thinks its for the best...

We requested the Plastibell form of circumcision (there is minimal if any bleeding) they tie a string around the tip and the skin just dies from lack of blood flow and falls off. So, they didn't end up making us get the shot. You might just ask about it beforehand and tell them what form of circumcision you want. The plastibell seemed like the best to us. Once they finally let me get a word in and since I had done my research, they really couldn't deny us the circumcision anymore based on the claim of him bleeding too much since he wouldn't bleed at all from it.

eljube112
07-16-2008, 07:10 AM
we refused the eye ointment but got the vit K shot. I forget the reason we went with the shot now...but the ointment was useless IMO. we had been planning a homebirth but ended up with a c-sec (long story) and the nurses gave the mw a hard time about the eye ointment but she stuck to her guns and refused.
the law is as old as time (well, wwII) and the reasons they passed it don't really apply today. as long as you do your research and know why you are refusing there shouldn't be a problem.

life.sew.simple
07-16-2008, 07:13 AM
we refused both but we had a homebirth and a very understanding Amish midwife

slingmama4
07-16-2008, 07:26 AM
I havn't read through all of the pp, but just wante dto share...

my 1st two sons were hospital births and we refused both drops and the shot...caught a lot of grief and horror stories for it too....ie. what a horribl mother i was for "not doing what was best for my babies..."

My last two were HomeBirths and of course we didn't do either again and it was such a more peaceful decision. They are perfect.

PoconoPrincess
07-16-2008, 09:10 AM
We requested the Plastibell form of circumcision (there is minimal if any bleeding) they tie a string around the tip and the skin just dies from lack of blood flow and falls off. So, they didn't end up making us get the shot. You might just ask about it beforehand and tell them what form of circumcision you want. The plastibell seemed like the best to us. Once they finally let me get a word in and since I had done my research, they really couldn't deny us the circumcision anymore based on the claim of him bleeding too much since he wouldn't bleed at all from it.

Plastibell?!?! that sounds like something they would do to a farm animal! That sounds like it would hurt worse, than a reg circ....????

briana-d
07-16-2008, 09:48 AM
im planning on refusing the drops if they let me (i was told its state law)

Lisa_delo
07-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Plastibell?!?! that sounds like something they would do to a farm animal! That sounds like it would hurt worse, than a reg circ....????

The Plastibell Circumcision Device is a clear plastic ring with handle designed for male neonatal circumcision that has a deep groove running circumferentially. The elective minimally invasive surgical procedure to install the Plastibell device may be performed by an OB/GYN, a pediatrician, a urologist, or a pediatric surgeon

The adhesions between glans and foreskin are divided with a probe. Then the foreskin is cut longitudinally to allow it to be retracted and the glans (the head of penis) to be exposed. The Plastibell comes in 6 sizes. The appropriate one is chosen and applied to the head (the circumcision pictured at right is in this stage). The ring is then covered over by the foreskin. A ligature is tied firmly around the foreskin, crushing the skin against the groove in the Plastibell. Then the excess skin protruding beyond the ring is trimmed off. Finally, the handle is broken off at the end of the procedure. The entire procedure takes five to ten minutes, depending on the experience and skill of the surgeon.[3]

As with all circumcisions, the procedure should involve adequate anaesthesia, using either EMLA cream,[4] dorsal penile nerve block, penile ring block, or a combination of these prior to operation. The ring falls off in 3 to 7 days leaving a circumferential wound that will heal over the following week. Typically, the glans will appear red or yellow until it has cornified

Lisa_delo
07-16-2008, 06:58 PM

This isn't entirely true.

The adhesions between glans and foreskin are divided with a probe. Then the foreskin is cut longitudinally to allow it to be retracted and the glans (the head of penis) to be exposed. The Plastibell comes in 6 sizes. The appropriate one is chosen and applied to the head (the circumcision pictured at right is in this stage). The ring is then covered over by the foreskin. A ligature is tied firmly around the foreskin, crushing the skin against the groove in the Plastibell. Then the excess skin protruding beyond the ring is trimmed off. Finally, the handle is broken off at the end of the procedure. The entire procedure takes five to ten minutes, depending on the experience and skill of the surgeon.

PoconoPrincess
07-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, DH and I went on our Maternity Tour this evening. The nurse brought up the VK and eye drops, and I immediately rasied my hand. She had termed them as "standard" procedure, and I asked "standard or state law" She reiterated standard but then immediately went into a diatribe of why it is medically necessary, and how anyone in thier right mind would refuse it was beyond her. I gave her a look of distain, and she immediately realized she was giving her opinion and shut up. My DH just looked at me, like "please dont start a fight tonight" lmao! So its not state law in NJ ladies!

max's mommy
07-18-2008, 10:01 PM
We tried, but could not legally refuse where we live.
It is required here.

MamaToBe84
07-19-2008, 12:17 AM
i refused the eye goop... TECHNICALLY, i refused both. However, my son got stuck, and was born with a bruise on the side of his head b/c he tried to come out cockeyed.. it was an odd situation, and while we werent intending on the vitamin K, i spoke to my midwife, my doula and my dh, and the midwife told us that had it been her child, she would have gotten the vitamin K in our situation. It was a decision i agonized with for probably an hour or two after the birth... i was just glad they asked me before doing it, as they didnt ask me if they could give me pitocin AFTER i already delivered the placenta :eyeroll:

MamaToBe84
07-19-2008, 12:22 AM
I tried to refuse the eye cream w/ dd (didnt know yet about shot risks) and hosp told me it was IL state law to give it due to some sort of eye infection. They would only let me hold off giving the cream for 1 hr after birth. They said had to be applied w/in 1 hr. I think it all varies from state to state. HTH's.

i just wanted to respond to this-- i had my son in oak park, this past march, and it is NOT IL state law for eye goop, my son did not have it. Im sorry, but they LIED to you :yuck: (and im so sorry they did :( )