PDA

View Full Version : OWWW - Nipple bleeding after bite

yagow2001
07-11-2008, 01:55 PM
DS didn't mean to nip my nipple with his two new teeth, but he did last night and it drew blood. He nursed on that side once during the night and this morning. It is pretty painful when he first starts sucking, but not too bad after. He took a long nap, so I just had to pump on that side and it bled again. Is it safe for him to drink from that side knowing he is drinking milk with blood in it and how long before it should heal? That side only produces half what the other side makes, so only a couple ounces which shouldn't make much difference to DS. I don't know how the supply on the other side will be affected though. Any help?

irishsmallfry007
07-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I would continue pumping... it sounds very painful! Do you have anyone that is a lactation counselor at your Dr's office? They help me a lot.

tlaquepaque
07-11-2008, 02:14 PM
That happened to me a few months ago. It is fine to nurse. A little blood won't hurt. I EPed for DS previously and I had to feed him "pink milk" from bleeding a little at the pump because that was all I had. The doctor said it wouldn't hurt him.

Just take it easy on that side. Put some healing ointment on it and maybe just nurse one side overnight to avoid a long sleepy session on the bad side. Does pumping feel better or worse than nursing right now? Personally, the pump hurt worse than nursing on the injured spot so I just kept nursing. It was healed after a couple days.

MamaMary920
07-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I could have written that post a couple of months ago--and I think maybe I did haha. It's okay for him to take a little bit of blood, that won't hurt. When I got accidentally nipped it took maybe a week for the pain in the beginning to stop and it felt like just when I couldn't take it anymore, it stopped hurting. GL!

mhaddon
07-11-2008, 05:56 PM
When I had severe nip tramua from bad latch I always put an ice cube on that nip before nursing to help numb the area. Just make sure to keep that side drained :hugs: