PDA

View Full Version : Question for 3rd grade reading . . .

twinsmomkatie
10-09-2006, 08:45 PM
I currently tutor a 3rd grade girl in reading and language arts; I am a certified teacher, but not for elementary grades. Most curricular reading books I have perused have short stories, poems, and longer stories . . . would she be okay just reading fun stories? Like from the library?

She is currently memorizing some poetry for me, and doing very good writing projects, but not very interested in reading from a textbook-style collection. Going for the classics . . .

Any ideas? Fun reading projects?

1bigfamily
10-09-2006, 11:13 PM
I just let me kids check out whatever they like from the library. They have grown leaps and bounds from that. Maybe you could tell her to go and pick out a book. you could select the type of book, non-fiction, fiction, etc. and she could pick out the actual book to read. In my experience, they enjoy it a lot more that way. You could even pick a specific book that you think would appeal to her and have activities to make it come alive. For example, if you picked a book about an Egyptian princess, you could make a model of a pyramid and draw pictures of what she thinks the princess looked like, you could be very creative and it would really impact her and her desire to read more. The more interested she is in it the better she will be at it. How often do we read text books in real life? HTH

annes_cottage
10-10-2006, 08:36 AM
I am not sure what reading level the Little house on the Prairie books are at but my 2nd grader is reading them and loves them. Those are helpers for history too. Tells how people lived back then, how the chores differed....stuff like that.

Christy
10-10-2006, 08:47 AM
We love books from the library! She picks out about 20 a week and will pour over them throughout the whole week. My dd is in 3rd grade too and she loves the Cam Jansen books and the Little Bear chapter books. Sometimes I ask questions about the books after she's done (in a really conversational manner). And sometimes she even writes other books similar to it after she's done reading. Hope that helps! :goodvibes:

Ima_to_6
10-10-2006, 08:51 AM
How about The Secret Garden? My boys enjoyed having it read to them as a read-aloud. There is also a companion book called Inside the Secret Garden: a Treasury of Crafts, Recipes, and Activities by Carolyn Strom Collins & Christina Wyss Eriksson that would make for a great unit-study.

Fullhouse
10-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Magic Treehouse? My dd started reading Harry Potter in 3rd grade too.

geckoed
10-10-2006, 09:41 AM
library books. Whatever she likes. The "rule" is they open to a random page and read 10 sentences/ 2 paragraphs if they struggle they put it back. If it "reads right" (thats what Dd calls books that she can read fluently) they can check it out.
My kids read a "collection" to each other each day (a classic mother goose, a poem, a myth or legend from our thick books or poems/short stories etc- these tend to be "old fashioned" and "rich" if you know what I mean)
They read 3 chapters in whichever chapter book they are into at the moment (my 8 yr old is reading Harry Potter right now and Swiss Family Robinson next, my 7yr old finished a Horrible Harry yesterday and is reading Ramona the Brave today. She recently came off a Pippi Longstocking kick)
And they read short library books with gusto. They both really like non-fiction though DD runs about 50% fiction and 50% non while DS only reads fiction in his chapter books.

Choose2bgr8
10-10-2006, 10:05 AM
My daughter taught herself to read at www.starfall.com and now likes to browse the internet for games which definitely improves her reading. John Holt also says to keep books with big and small words alike in their reach. I often find my daughters "reading" the dictionary and thesaurus. Eventually their little minds will be able to string those words together.

daisyprincess98
10-10-2006, 12:37 PM
My DD is also in 3rd grade and likes the Junie B. Jones books (be careful on these as the language has a lot of non-real words, like "bestest" and stuff) and the Magic Tree House series. I remember when I was in school, anything by Judy Blume, the Sweet Valley Twins series and The Babysitters Club series.

travelinmom
10-10-2006, 11:50 PM
My dd is in 3rd grade and loves animals, currently reading Black Beauty before that, Call of the Wild.

Where the Red Fern Grows
White Fang

We ollow up with some animal studies and the offshoot stories, like if person lived now what would it be like, ect. Those are kind of advanced

Also little house is great, we followed up with trips to Oregon trail educational sites, lots here in Oregon, Fort Walla, Whitman Mission, Willamette Mission, High Desert Museum...we love field trips.

But there is series out ther Ark ? think

Squirrels in the School, is one title, there are cute, humanitarian, at least that one. Try and rescue sqirell family from exterminator. Easy, fun, good morals, We have more in the series that haven't read yet.

sorry nak.