PDA

View Full Version : Washing Dipes with Dreft

samilyn1981
07-26-2008, 04:36 AM
I generally wash baby clothes in dreft. I think it works great and I love the smell of it. Plus my kiddos have sensitive skin and tend to break out easily. Sooooo...I use dreft on baby clothes.

Can I use it on Cd's? If not why?

It just seems like a PITB to use yet ANOTHER detergent in my wash regement. KWIM?

I do know there are LOTS of detergents out there that I can get, so there's no need to spam me about all of them. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Redmomma
07-26-2008, 06:08 AM
I'm sure dreft would be fine just be sure to use less than you would for normal laundry. Getting all the detergent rinsed out of diapers is the biggest mistake people make and causes the most rashes. If you have soft water (water that makes suds easy) then use very little detergent. If you have hard water (water that does not make suds easily) then you can use more detergent. Certain detergents make more suds than others. So it is not so much which detergent you use but more the amount you use and making sure it is rinsed completely.

ouchienurse
07-26-2008, 06:16 AM
The problem with dreft is all the softners they use, it can cause repelling and it can also cause pink/red stains in your covers. I learned this the hard way. I was washing covers and using a service and couldn't figure out where the pink in the covers was coming from. We use our diaper detergent for all of our big people stuff, too. Only her clothes get washed in dreft, now. Not trying to spam, but the Ultra Plus from Sears is $20, but you get over 240 loads and it's diaper safe, our bucket lasts about 6-8 months. HTH

scbusf
07-26-2008, 07:15 AM
I'd just switch to something like Purex Free&Clear or All Free&Clear for all your laundry.

I don't like having separate detergents, either. I and my DS have super-sensitve skin. I was using All F&C for everything, but I just switched to Tide w/ Dawn and DS hasn't had any problems yet.

BathrobeGoddess
07-26-2008, 08:53 AM
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

It has two red stars on the detergent list.. dreft isn't actually a hypoallergenic laundry detergent, its full of softeners to make the clothes "baby" soft. It is also full or fragrances and enzymes. I wouldn't use it on my diapers but my ds broke out using anything but Planet or County Save on his clothes and his little bum couldn't stand ANY build up at all...

lucifugous
07-26-2008, 09:47 AM
http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

It has two red stars on the detergent list.. dreft isn't actually a hypoallergenic laundry detergent, its full of softeners to make the clothes "baby" soft. It is also full or fragrances and enzymes. I wouldn't use it on my diapers but my ds broke out using anything but Planet or County Save on his clothes and his little bum couldn't stand ANY build up at all...

:yeahthat:

Trista
07-26-2008, 10:26 AM
I've never used it myself, but I've seen a lot of moms say they use it for CD's with no issues.

There is some info on Diaper Pin about it I remember seeing awhile back.... here it is:

http://www.diaperpin.com/dreftletter.asp

val0811
07-26-2008, 10:28 AM
I used dreft when I first started cd'ing. A friend gave me what was left of her box and said she used it with hers. Dreft really doesn't clean well or get out stains. I haven't used it since the birth of first daughter 8 years ago...when I thought all baby clothes had to be washed separate. As for cd'ing, dreft leaves them smelling like pee. I use the same wash routine as I did with dreft with a different detergent now and no smell. It will also leave big time detergent buildup.
This is just my experience with dreft. The baby detergents do not clean well period. They may make your clothes soft and smell good, but they won't remove stains and they don't clean very well.
Val