PDA

View Full Version : Un-Schoolers....

daisyprincess98
10-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Did you start that way or end up that way? Just curious, the whole idea of un-schooling intrigues me.

Gavin&Brent'sMommy
10-14-2006, 06:46 PM
what is un schooling? or is it just another term for homeschooling? I am assuming not but I never heard the term, so forgive me :blush:

GoddessWifeMom
10-14-2006, 06:52 PM
This is what I found on Wikipedia about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unschooling

Never heard of it either, although I do think a family on Wife Swap did it??

Sounds interesting. Not too different from what we would do at home with our kids when they are not in school really though.

Just curious is Montessori School at all like this, I am VERY interested in Montessori??

desertblossom79
10-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Unschooling basically means that you don't follow a set curriculum and just informally teach through daily life. Montessori kinda follows the same idea but it's more directed. You could just provide Montessori materials and keep them available to your child and still unschool. I love Montessori for young kids and we do unschool some subjects but we have curriculum we follow for other subjects too. I think we just ended up this way but we know other people who have always unschooled. I'm too "Type A personality" to completely unschool but I find it works well for some things. Kids learn so much more than you even realize just from daily life.

HTH

Jeni

GoddessWifeMom
10-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Unschooling basically means that you don't follow a set curriculum and just informally teach through daily life. Montessori kinda follows the same idea but it's more directed. You could just provide Montessori materials and keep them available to your child and still unschool. I love Montessori for young kids and we do unschool some subjects but we have curriculum we follow for other subjects too. I think we just ended up this way but we know other people who have always unschooled. I'm too "Type A personality" to completely unschool but I find it works well for some things. Kids learn so much more than you even realize just from daily life.

HTH

Jeni

Not to take over the post but thanks for the info on Montessori and Unschooling.

I am really interested in putting our babies in Montessori when they are little it sounds so great to me.

Going to have to look into it some more.

annes_cottage
10-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Are you ready to start unschooling soon!!! :lostit:

daisyprincess98
10-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Not sure yet. I think I am also too "type A", but i like the idea of following her intrests. Thank goodness MI has such good HS laws.

annes_cottage
10-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Not sure yet. I think I am also too "type A", but i like the idea of following her intrests. Thank goodness MI has such good HS laws.

Indianas are great! so if you have tooooo....move south! lol :goodvibes:

KnottyLDSMama
10-15-2006, 04:07 PM
We plan to unschool from the start. :)

luckyduckies
10-15-2006, 04:25 PM
I started with a "school at home" idea.I had the desk ,the full box curriculum,tight schedule,ect.....It was too much with 3 children & a toddler at the time.:giggle: We started to do do only structured English and math and then unit studies(konos)It was better but still limiting at times.We went to unschooling & that wasn't enough for us.I needed a bit of structure so we now do math & english in the morning & unschool the rest of the day.It is undetermined if it will be the best fit for us.

urchin_grey
10-15-2006, 09:58 PM
We plan to unschool from the start. :)

Me too!!! I've recently started learning about it (first heard of it on MDC) but I've been doing more research every day. DS will still be in EI at home until 3yo and then he'll go to EI away from home. Mostly what he'll get there is physical and speech therapy which he really needs. I don't trust LA's special ed system though so I had really been looking into home school. Then I discovered unschooling though and I'm really, really into the idea now. :goodvibes: And really, considering the nature of unschooling, we'd basically be starting "school" much ealier because we'd be doing what he wants anyway. :mrgreen:

KnottyLDSMama
10-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Exactly!! You're probably teaching him already and didn't even know it! (Most parents are). I don't even know when we'll really start "schooling" DS.... He'll just pretty much always be learning from me, ya know?

nothing_butt_cloth
10-16-2006, 01:09 PM
I am intrigues by the idea. but i know me. and my kids wouldnt learn anything. I have to follow a curiculum or we wouelnt do anything. I am not dicsiplined enough to inveite them intot he kitchen while i bake bread in the morning.I usually say go play, because i dont want flour all over the place... When it is time for school, it is time for school. ( my girls are in PS, but i teach after hours to them)

Quiverfillin
10-23-2006, 09:33 AM
We started with curriculum last year and had a horrible time! This year I started with a Charlotte Mason approach which I like, but we seem to have morphed into unschooling. My DH is home all the time now (disabled) so he has been involving DS in whatever he's doing. DS is learning a lot! And he's picked up reading as a hobby now, instead of a chore. I don't know how it works, but it sure is working for us!

keegans_mommy
10-23-2006, 12:24 PM
We have to have some core curriculum by law but the rest of our day is un-schooling and we all LOVE it! Our kids are thirsting for knowledge this way and they love that they get to chose what they learn about and what is interesting to them. :)

jadedhkr
10-26-2006, 09:47 PM
We started out with curricula and quickly lapsed into chaos! Now I just teach structured math and reading, the rest is unschooling and is working great. My boys amaze me all the time with their knowledge of the obscure! lol
I just make sure to surround them with good books and lots of praise.

Right now my 9yo is into volcanos and geography, he knows way more than I do that's for sure!

crunchychristianmom
10-29-2006, 10:03 PM
I am intrigues by the idea. but i know me. and my kids wouldnt learn anything.

Unschoolers believe (for good reason, based on research by John Holt in particular) that children are learning all the time, every minute of the day, without anyone "teaching" them. You don't have to do anything in particular to unschool, except pay attention to your child's needs and desires, and give them opportunities to explore their world with your help and support as needed. The main requirement is that you learn to TRUST your kids, which is really hard for most of us because it's the opposite of what our culture tells us to do. But heck, if you're cding and homeschooling, you're already against the norm! :lostit: Most unschoolers didn't start out trusting fully. It's a learned thing. You have to trust yourself to learn to trust. And you will. :)

Now, if you really don't want to let your kids help in the kitchen EVER, you might not make a great unschooler. ;) But if you're spending time preparing curriculum and materials and sitting down with them one-on-one, it's really not any more effort or time to let them help you cook and wipe up a slightly messier counter or floor than usual.

The mom who introduced me to unschooling is actually a STRONG Type A personality!! She's had to challenge herself to allow a little more chaos in her life -- but she'd have to do that anyway with her four kids! And while their home is super organized, that's more for her sanity. She tries not to make her kids responsible for her need for organization.

We've been unschooling since the beginning, and wouldn't have it any other way! :)

If you're really curious, there's some great reading here:
http://unschooling.com/

TKDMama
10-29-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm a grown unschooler! My mom read John Holt's books and thought his ideas made perfect sense, so that's how I grew up. It worked really well for me, my only complaint really is that at that time (late 70s, early 80s) I was one of the very few unschoolers/homeschoolers. We were kind of at the beginning of it all, so I didn't have many unschooling or homeschooling peers. I know that's changed so much now; here in St. Louis they have homeschoolers classes at our Zoo and Botanical Garden, and I'm sure other places I'm not even aware of. I haven't actually decided what I want to do when my oldest dd is school age - she's 4 1/2 now. I'm really leaning towards not sending her to school, and if I didn't, we would definitely "unschool". There is a Montessori school that goes up to 6th grade that is really fantastic, and I'd so love for her to be able to go there, but I'm not sure about the money at this point!

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in with my firsthand experience with unschooling!