PDA

View Full Version : What was your LO's First Food?

MommaBunny
08-25-2008, 09:55 AM
My pedi says that iron-fortified cereals are necessary, but I've heard fruit is a better first option. I've also heard people say that you shouldn't give fruit first because it will give the baby a preference for sweets (but BM is sweet, so I don't get that?)...

Anyway... I was wondering what other mamas might have as input on this question. :thumbsup:

For The Love Of Cloth
08-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Personally, I'd go to the LLL or kellymom website and look up first foods. I've heard info about not introducing cereals first due to food allergens/exposure.

We mashed avacados, fresh peaches, home cooked sweet potato or used very soft table food.

Wait until you LO is basically grabbing food off your plate, fork, mouth! There is no perfect age-it is very individual. Vivian will tell you when she's ready!

One word of caution: the LLL website used to put tofu as a good first food. (or at least a good finger food). Wait on soy products-there is a lot of conflicting info on health and safety with soy, especially in babies and toddlers. Don't take my word for it, check it out!

Enjoy the journey! :hugs:

Mom2Natalya
08-25-2008, 10:35 AM
That whole thing about fruit is a myth. We also skipped cereals b/c they are empty calories. My DD's first foods were avocadoes, butternut squash and apples. She loved them all...still does ;)

Boheme
08-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Iron-fortified cereals are NOT necessary. LOTS of babies never eat them (including mine) and have perfect iron levels. The sweet thing is also a myth.

My kids first foods were table foods, and they were older than usual for starting solids (my oldest was 9-10m, my youngest was 11.5m). They ate fruit from the very beginning, and it gave them a preference for...fruit! They never eat candy or any other sweets, and they eat more veggies (even greens!) than any other kids I know. They even love snacks of raw, sliced tomatoes, bowls of fresh spinach (no salad dressing, either), raw broccoli, etc... No eating problems here!

Manna00
08-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I voted table food. DS was 10 months old when we introduced food--and even then he didn't regularly eat "meals" until he was a year old (he nursed until he was 22 months). The first thing he had was some SUPER soft and squishy avacado. He loved it.

3rockstars
08-25-2008, 05:59 PM
:dunno: sara's first solid food was a veggie burger stolen off my plate at 11 months.

C-MaeMama
08-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Everyone has an opinion. We did the cereals 1st, my dd still loves them, I mix them with fruit. We did veggies before fruit, and dd can live on fruit. Not a big fan of the veggies anymore. My doctor recommended the cereals, and of course you don't have to start with them like anything else you can do what you feel is right for your lo...people always say dont do this or that, it's your child do what you feel. As response to pp; the allergens are always something to watch out for whether its cereals, fruits, veggies etc. that's why you should at least wait the week before introducing a new food group.
:2cents:

tucker851
08-25-2008, 06:45 PM
We tried a little cereal but it is hard to get them to start eating something that is soo nasty... :( so we went straight for the apples, pears, etc. Just make sure to wait four days in between each just incase they do have allergies. My daughter also lives off of fruit now at 19 months! :D

landvsmama
08-25-2008, 07:08 PM
we did avocados then bananas. She liked them at first and then gagged. Moved onto cereal mixed with breast milk. First rice then oatmeal. She loves it! Now we are onto all kinds of fruit and squash, carrots, peas and millet. I have a friend who skipped the grains and fruit and gave proteins and veggies first and did so for quite a while - at least the first year. Her baby started losing weight- basically she had inadvertently put him on the Atkins diet! I think whole grains are an important and great part of a baby's diet, including cereals as long as they are made from whole grains.

Computermama
08-25-2008, 09:07 PM
I did iron fortified cereals, mostly because I was very scared of allergies with DD's eczema, and it seemed to me from what I had read that rice was a very low chance of allergies. Now, it turned out to be a moot point, since DD eats pretty much anything I have a mind to feed her, and no allergies so far. I'm still holding off on eggs and nuts just in case, but there are very few true food allergies in either DH or my family.

reesesmom
08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
i did my own puree first and she hated it! it is still in my freezer. i got first applesauce which she loved . . . the DR pointed out the cereal thing so i did it for like 2 weeks w/ the applesauce.

now, she loves it all . . . esp french bread crust :)

butter07
08-25-2008, 09:31 PM
We waited until baby wanted our foods. At 9 months and at 8 months. We did not do the cereal-bleh! Yogurt, avocado, bits of bread, pre-chewed (by me) stew meats, other veggies from stew. GL! This is a fun time!
:thumbsup:

eilla05
08-26-2008, 12:15 PM
we tried rice cereal and he HATED IT!! So we moved on to mashed carrots. The fruit before veggies thing is a total myth. It doesnt matter if you give them fruit before veggies or the other way around. Most kids dont like veggies right off anyway and you just have to keep offering it to them.

We did carrots,green beans,peas before any fruit but once he got fruit he didnt want veggies anymore. I kept giving them to him and eventually he ate them again.

I have always heard the very best first food is mashed banana. good luck!!

I made alot of my own food also but once i froze it G wouldnt eat it for some reason.

Mashed sweet potato is also another good one IMO

emmaroo
08-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Watermelon!!! Loved it then, hates it now.

zacks_mommy
08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
he grabbed mashed potatoes off my plate at christmas and put them in his mouth. he wouldnt touch anything i had tried to give him for the last month, but when he was ready he was ready. and he still hates infant cereal

AllyAsh
08-28-2008, 02:13 AM
avocado mixed with bm

crystalannski
08-28-2008, 05:54 AM
We did rice cereal with our son and avocado with our daughter. I will always start with avocado from now on, I think itís a great first food!

chickenmonkeybaby
08-28-2008, 06:19 AM
avocado for all three kids:)

cupcakewright
08-28-2008, 09:20 AM
No cereal here.

Slices up avacado she feed herself at 10 months was her first food.

babybelle02
08-28-2008, 01:25 PM
We started w/rice cereal and dd just got constipated and cranky so I stopped that. We went went right to bananas and avocado next and it's been great.

cindylou1979
08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
It's a toss up between cereals and veggies. There are so many kids with grain allergies now a days!

twirl
08-28-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't know that it matters all that much, really.

We did sweet potato first.

In the beginning, I just picked whatever I thought looked good/fresh at the store because I was doing the prep myself and it was just for the "experience" of eating anyway.

As far as cereal goes, I've now given her oatmeal (instead of rice) but it was after she'd already tried a variety of fruits/veggies.

PixieAlly
08-28-2008, 06:36 PM
I haven't actually started solids yet but decided I will start with avocados mashed with breast milk.

I Smile Because Of Them
08-28-2008, 06:38 PM
I believe it was mashed potatoes.

angbaby1
08-31-2008, 11:50 AM
graet input mama's just venturing out into this and getting ready for when my LOis ready :)

tatumsmom
08-31-2008, 12:06 PM
DD had mashed avocado and bananas at 11m. Never did any cereal.

dipeters77
08-31-2008, 07:11 PM
For you mom's that did avocado and breast milk...did you puree the avocado or just mash it? Is it hard for the younger ones starting out to eat it? I'm asking because with my first DS we did the rice cereal and it was super watered down with breastmilk. Avocado seems to me like it would be too thick for say a 5 or 6 month old to eat? I'm on the fence of starting cereal next week but am considering a different first solid. : )

Grrchurch03
08-31-2008, 07:12 PM
avocado, and she LOOOOVED it, yumm!

becca1202
08-31-2008, 09:12 PM
My ped insists iron-fortified cereal helps with blood iron levels. Being that my ds wound up being anemic at 15 months, I am using the cereals with Naomi hoping to head that off some. It probably doesn't help that I'm often borderline anemic...seems that might affect how much iron my breastmilk contains.

Cekimon
08-31-2008, 11:53 PM
we never did cereals. from what i've read, iron fortified cereals help formula fed babies absorb iron better since they have a harder time absorbing it from the formula and that's why the suggest the cereal. since we weren't FF'ing, I went along with other resources I read and DS's first food was a mashed banana. His second food, the next day, was a smashed avacado. So we started with fruit, then veggies, and white meat followed, like turkey/chicken. it was a long time before i gave him red meat as i just feel like it's tougher on the digestive system so why give it to someone so young? one time his iron level was border line so i just read up on iron and how to get it to him better and at the 30 day follow up it was perfect without giving him any supplements.

my son is not a picky eater, he actually sees something he's never tried before and wants it. i think he actually gets bored with "staples" and i have to keep making new stuff to keep his interest. we started him at six months old and we were really laid back about it... days would pass w/o any solids and then we'd give him some... it was just for introducing him slowly and it was not necessary since your baby's milk of choice is really the only nutrition needed for the first year (and some will say beyond.)

I also did fresh foods always. never jarred baby... i feel like it helps prevent picky eaters because they know from day one what it actually tastes and feels like.

good luck!!

marusempai
09-01-2008, 12:35 AM
DD's first food was tandoori chicken she swiped off my plate at about six months. She was hungry, I guess. :giggle: We did feed her some fortified rice cereal, but we mostly used it to thicken other mashed foods. She actually did better with thicker foods, she had trouble keeping her lips closed so if the food was watery it would come right back out again and she would get frustrated, but if it was thicker she gulped it down and begged for more! We finally just started chewing table food for her, it was SO much easier, that's all I'm planning on doing with our new little one when the time comes. I might blender some foods for when I'm eating something she shouldn't have yet, tho.

cari15838
09-01-2008, 12:39 AM
I;m not there yet, but my plans are not to do cereal.... and either start with avocado or egg yolk (not whites!) or maybe squash.......

Sakura
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
I just started solid for my DS this week. In where I came from we always start with very watery cooked and mushed rice. I must say I was very happy to see My DS seemed to enjoy it!

Tiny Trousers
11-07-2008, 03:47 PM
I plan to do what a pp said, with the egg yolks and then avocado. I'm getting a great book on children's health this Christmas :)

lovemysoldier79
11-07-2008, 06:55 PM
I started her with cereal and banana's. I never give her just plain cereal, I always mix it with something because it seems so yucky. One thing that I always skipped with all of my children is the baby meats YUCK! They smell terrible.:yuck:

brookerlip
11-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I've become a bit obsessed with making food for my little man (almost 8 months now!) and he seems to love each new food. We started with avocado - lucky for us we have an avocado tree that is just loaded so I'm glad he really likes them. We've done sweet potato, squash, bananas, pears, apples, peas, green beans, oat/brown rice - but I agree with some of the other posts, alone the cereal is really unappealing. I've been waiting every four days to introduce something new. I've been enjoying Ruth Yaron's book Super Baby Food. Again, I fully admit, I'm a little overboard with making stuff, freezing it, etc... I'm sure if we have another little one things will be different :)

Twiceblessed
11-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I noticed a lot of mamas gave avocados and bananas first, just be aware that if you have latex allergies in your family it is very likely your child will be allergic to avocados and bananas as well. as far as my kids they got rice cereal because thats what you are " supposed" to do. they never did like it, but they did like just about anything else I fed them. This baby probably wont have any food aside from breastmilk until she tries to eat my food lol, its easier anyway, and what could she possibly need that breastmilk doesnt provide. babyfood is mostly practice anyway ;)