PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for stinky cat poop?

ashleynjacy
10-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Sorry I am posting so much I just have quite a bit of questions.
My cat's poop stinks pretty bad, what do you feed yor cat that may hep with this?:blush:

zaza
10-18-2006, 10:38 PM
better food? usually cheap food makes for stinky poop..Just imagine what your poop would smell like if you ate mcdonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner

singlemomto3
10-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah better food. The absolute best food for cats is called felidae i think. Do a search. But good food is also expensive. You don't want any corn in the food, thats just filler to make more poop. Also one thing that i just got was a air thingy that goes every 36 minutes and put it above the cat box. So far so good. oh also use good litter, it does make a difference

tessa1002
10-18-2006, 11:02 PM
They have indoor formulas of a lot of cat food, and some of them reduce the stink of the poop. My mom uses one that works really well, but like the pp said, the better it works, the more expensive it is. I think the one she uses is "Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Formula". She had so many good things to say about it but I just couldn't afford it. (keep in mind we live off of $600 a month, foodstamps and WIC, so maybe it won't seem as expensive to you) Here's a link to it: http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncccia.asp

HTH!

OneFabMama
10-18-2006, 11:05 PM
We use that Nutro Natural Choice too, and we dont have stinky poop. But we also shelled out 35 bucks for a Booda Dome litter box, and I use Arm and Hammer litter and I put extra baking soda every time I scoop the litter (every other day) and I also invested in one of those air freshner thinga ma bobs and we never have stink issues. :thumbsup:

singlemomto3
10-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Nutro is a higher end very good foor. Thats what we are using right now. In a few days when i'm ready to buy, I'm gonna pricecheck the felidae and if its too much we'll stick with nutro. With the price increase, figure he won't need to eat as much because its not as much filler.

tessa1002
10-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Nutro is a higher end very good foor. Thats what we are using right now. In a few days when i'm ready to buy, I'm gonna pricecheck the felidae and if its too much we'll stick with nutro. With the price increase, figure he won't need to eat as much because its not as much filler.

Thats what my mom's reasoning was for shelling out the extra money. She said they don't eat NEAR as much as when she used to feed them purina or dad's.

OneFabMama
10-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Is Purina not good? I bought a bag of that the other day - we were out of Nutro and they didnt have it at my Target so I thought Purina was my best bet :headscratch: Should I avod that in the future? He doesnt seem to care what kinda food he gets.

L J
10-19-2006, 12:31 AM
We feed our's Hill's Science Diet. It has really helped with the stinky poop issues! A very good thing since its now DH's responsiblity to clean the litter box, and he has the tendency to forget about it... for long periods of time!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
10-19-2006, 12:45 AM
I had 14 cats and i suggest from my own experience, stay AWAY from wet canned food,(also for dogs~Stay AWAY form canned food) buy dry food, i love meow mix, not too expensive and they have lots o f flavors and my cats loved it!

vick
10-19-2006, 05:43 AM
The cheaper the food, the more fillers they use and the stinkier the poop gets. My cats eat a raw diet and their poop literally doesn't smell :mrgreen:

Here's a great article from a vet friend of mine on selecting a good commercial cat food: http://www.holisticat.com/drjfood.html - look around the Holisticat web site, too - while I'm no longer involved, I built the site, wrote some articles and know everyone who contributed, so I trust the info there :thumbsup:

ashleynjacy
10-19-2006, 06:29 AM
They eat kitn'koboode (sorry about th emissing characters, its my computer). I had to start feeding my dogs nutro because my chinese crested has food aergies to everything ese! His skin was bistering. I didn't know they made it for cats, I thought it was ony dog food. I wi try it just as soon as I get more money. I wi aso ook into the raw food diet. Thanks for a the advice!

vick
10-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Yeah - that stuff if gonna make for some stinky poop! My cats (and I) are so used to their raw diet that even when I feed a super premium canned or dry food, their poop is way too stinky for me!

If you chose to feed a commercial diet, look for one with meat and meal meals listed at the top of the ingredient list, and as few carbohydrates as possible. And bear in mind that a manufacturer can break down carbs into components - i.e. they can list some type of meat as the first ingredient, bbut break corn down into corn, corn guten meal, corn by product, etc, so that there's actually way more corn than meat, but they can list meat first, since the individual components are less by mass than the "meat". I don't really like Nutro, but it's better than anything you can get at the grocery store or Target.

The canned/dry foods I'll use are:
Natural Balance
Nature's Variety Prairie Feline
Felidae

singlemomto3
10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
I better go with the felidae. I have read such wonderful things. For your raw cat diet. What do you feed him? You make it yourself?

OneFabMama
10-19-2006, 12:42 PM
okay, i have not seen felidae at our local pet store where do you buy it from. i dont want my kitty eating nasty kitty food :yuck:

OneFabMama
10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
neva-mind - went to their website and there is a California Pets that sells it right down the street from me.

How much does the dry and wet food cost? Like a months worth?

ashleynjacy
10-19-2006, 02:26 PM
I am wondering the same thing...what is the price range? I am going to try and look it up!

greenkmt
10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
The felidale is what the humane society gave us but we will be using Iams.

vick
10-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Re: Felidae, I've never really priced it out - I only ever feed canned/dry as an adjunct to raw, so it's never every meal all the time, it's just a treat, or it's mixed in with the raw (canned) or I just have a bag onhand during time when making and remembering to thaw raw food is a bit of a challenge (like mid-move :)

Re: raw feeding, check out these links, then let me know what you have questions about:
http://www.holisticat.com/rawrecipe.html
http://www.holisticat.com/drjletter.html
http://www.holisticat.com/rawdiet.html

singlemomto3
10-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Here the price is 8.99 for a 5lb bag and 30.99 or 31.99 i think for the 20lb bag. On the phone the lady was trying really hard to talk me into buying the small bag, because it will last for 2 months for 1 cat. Hes lasts her 4 weeks for 2 cats. But when i go in, i'll get the bigger bag, i don't like making trips for cat food all the time.

Thanks for the links, i'm gonna read up on that.

FitMommyOf2
10-21-2006, 06:40 AM
Our cat only eats raw steak and his dry cat food. He wouldn't touch any wet cat food; not even the canned tuna I once offered him. He just wants his protein with a lil carbs on the side :giggle:

babydogs3
10-21-2006, 09:46 AM
My cats eat Friskies and don't have stinky poop.
Has your cat always had stinky poop or is it a recent development? If it just started you might want to get it checked out at the vet. Also, ask the vet the best type of food to feed to your cat. Every cat is different so what works for one cat might not work for another.
Make sure you scoop the litter box everyday and mix some baking soda in with the litter. Also, get good litter because the cheap stuff makes the box smell bad a lot sooner. I use tidy cat.

aran_knitter
10-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Felidae ia definately good, as are Iams, Eukanuba, Eagle Pack, Science Diet, Wysong and Nutro MAX Cat... Having listed the better brands... I can't afford any of those, and had to find something else.

Unfortunately, I am not at home, and cannot think of what the kind I buy is called! :headscratch: WalMart sells it in the section of "better" cat foods... the bag is black with a single bright color (black/purple, black/green... for different formulas.) The protein level is good... no animal "byproducts"... And it is definately less expensive than others. When we got our cat, his coat was in very poor condition - the food (and brushing) has really helped!

Regardless of the brand you pick - canned food (and IMO, anything but dry food) will cause litter box odor. Keeping your cat on dry food will help... and, another bonus is that the good dry foods are very concentrated, so unless your cat eats like a pig, you will find that he actually eats less, and is able to digest it better, leaving less to clean out of the litter box!! :goodvibes: