PDA

View Full Version : Childcare questions...

shortylucy
09-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Hello mammas! I hope everyone is great! I will be returning to work in a few weeks until I pop and then again after my maternity leave and I have a few questions.

1. What do you look for in a daycare? What's important, what's not?

2. Is a home daycare preferable than a "normal" daycare? Why? Why not?

3. Would you prefer having someone watch your children in your home? Why? Why not?

4. If someone watched them in your home, would it be ok for them to bring their child? Why? Why not?

5. What is the approximate cost difference between daycare and home daycare? (in CA, if known or your area)

My son has never been watched by anyone other than the family so this is very new to me. My parents are divorcing, father is retiring to Mexico and mom is probably moving to Washington. My hubby and I will both work, but will have no one to watch our babies. I'm really nervous about entrusting a stranger to my son and my unborn daughter!:backout: HELP PLEASE!

frogandtoad
09-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Hello mammas! I hope everyone is great! I will be returning to work in a few weeks until I pop and then again after my maternity leave and I have a few questions.

SAFETY and appropriate SUPERVISION are my two main concerns

Not necessarily, it depends on the situation

3. Would you prefer having someone watch your children in your home? Why? Why not?
Again, depends. My current schedule is basically full days on T/TH and only afternoons (afterschool) on M/W. For T/TH I take the kids to a sitter. For M/W I am making arrangements for someone to come to my home

4. If someone watched them in your home, would it be ok for them to bring their child? Why? Why not?
Yes. If the sitter is someone I think will "work" for our family.

5. What is the approximate cost difference between daycare and home daycare? (in CA, if known or your area)
None. I offer my childcare provider approximately the same as going rate for daycare (around $20-$25 full-day for under 2 years and $10-$15 for over 2/Elementary-age)

My son has never been watched by anyone other than the family so this is very new to me. My parents are divorcing, father is retiring to Mexico and mom is probably moving to Washington. My hubby and I will both work, but will have no one to watch our babies. I'm really nervous about entrusting a stranger to my son and my unborn daughter!:backout: HELP PLEASE!

Put your feelers out. Tell your co-workers, friends, neighbors, anyone and everyone that you are looking for a reliable caregiver for your children and welcome recommendations. I have pretty high standards for infant care and different requirements for my older children (uh, they are fairly well-behaved and aren't as physically demanding as an infant/toddler).

:)

kkrpata
09-05-2008, 08:33 AM
I personally would choose a day care center rather than a home day care. I had my daughter in a Kindercare and loved them. My reason for choosing a center was that there are more eyes, policies, I felt it was a more "watched" environment. Parents coming in and out... No one could hurt your children in a center. I guess I'm a bit paranoid but I was nervous about all the things you see on the news about home day cares. That being said, now that I'm a SAHM, I've watched another 2 year old in addition to my two, so I definitely don't think all home day cares are bad. But it can be frustrating and difficult to watch other people's kids all day long. If the caretaker doesn't have the patience it could be a bad situation. At least in day care centers the girls get breaks and are much less likely to have that problem. My daughter THRIVED in day care, and is extremely smart and advanced for her age. I know it's tough mama :) Just interview a couple centers (or home providers if you go that route) and see who you click with :) Oh and another thing that REALLY helped me at our day care was that they were constantly taking pictures of the kids and you could actually see how happy they were through the day while mama wasn't there. They'd have the pictures on all the walls and I LOVED that, so maybe that's something to look for too when you go into a center. Our day care workers became like family to us (she went from when she was 10 weeks to 2 years), and in fact even though she doesn't go there anymore we still keep in touch and invite some of the girls over to the house with their kids to play :)

ndmama
09-05-2008, 11:43 AM
i think openness is number one. are they open to you coming to pop in no matter when. are they good about informing parents about everything that happens, etc. talk to other parents, etc.

2. Is a home daycare preferable than a "normal" daycare? Why? Why not? for me it was. i felt like my lo got more attention as a small infant (we started at about 3 mo) most of the "normal" daycares i saw for infants kept the infants in bouncy seats or swings pretty much all the time unless they were eating or sleeping and i didn't like that. our home daycare provider kept my little one in the sling about 50% of the time until she could sit up and move. also, none of the centers around us would do parttime for infants (well, you could pay for full time and only come parttime but we couldn't afford that
3. Would you prefer having someone watch your children in your home? Why? Why not? maybe. since i only have one, probably not. i like that she has the socialization
4. If someone watched them in your home, would it be ok for them to bring their child? Why? Why not? haven't thought about it.
5. What is the approximate cost difference between daycare and home daycare? (in CA, if known or your area) for us its about 30% cheaper to do home daycare.

My son has never been watched by anyone other than the family so this is very new to me. My parents are divorcing, father is retiring to Mexico and mom is probably moving to Washington. My hubby and I will both work, but will have no one to watch our babies. I'm really nervous about entrusting a stranger to my son and my unborn daughter!:backout: HELP PLEASE![/QUOTE]

sourpatch_babe
09-05-2008, 12:04 PM
My situation is different in that I didn't have time to interview the person (was informed on friday afternoon before I started work on Monday that my LO wouldn't be able to attend the place he was set to go and I was in a frantic panic) but it worked out for the best. They are the only kids there, it's more like a private nanny rather than daycare, and they get spoiled like crazy from all the family members in the house.

Trust is very very important though. The Kid is always falling or bumping against things and has bruises and scrapes all over him. If it werent for the fact that I know that he's impossible to keep unhurt. He's like me in that he will even get bruises while sleeping (restless). It's common for him to decide to jump off the couch onto a tricycle/table/skateboard/passerby/animal (on a tile floor). I've literally told her that if it weren't because I know my child and what he's capable of, I would've had to call the cops on her for child abuse.

Mommimi
09-07-2008, 01:44 PM
My list and comments on previous post.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4171754&highlight=daycare+cost#post4171754

Personal perference. Home daycare are smaller ratio, smaller facilities, have less regulations, and usually cost less. Daycare centers have more regulations, larger size, better facilities, cost more, and have higher turn-over in caregivers and children. Depends on what is important to you.

When young (under 1 yrs) at my home, indiviudal attention and less transistions. If older (2 yrs above) I prefer other peers for him/her to play with in daycare setting. Also helps with transistion to Pre-K.

Yes. I find the best childcaregiver are moms. Good moms make good childcaregivers. Also moms that bring their own children usually charge less than nanny without children.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3977678&highlight=daycare+cost#post3977678

2bluesandapink
09-07-2008, 08:18 PM
1. What do you look for in a daycare? What's important, what's not? I agree Safety is #1...and also I would love for a center that will love your child and not just "watch" them.

2. Is a home daycare preferable than a "normal" daycare? Why? Why not? I have no experience with home daycare so I can't say. I love my center based daycare.

3. Would you prefer having someone watch your children in your home? Why? Why not? It would be easier, for sure! But the whole idea of putting them in childcare is for socialization with other children (and because I have to work of course) and they won't get that at home.

4. If someone watched them in your home, would it be ok for them to bring their child? Why? Why not? Sure!

5. What is the approximate cost difference between daycare and home daycare? (in CA, if known or your area) Not sure about home daycare but at my center daycare, it's $190 for 7 to 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. If you go over 9 hours a day, it's $225 a week. This is for one child.

shortylucy
09-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Wow! I have my work cut out for me. I'm starting to call some centers and visiting them, same thing with home daycare. This is really nerve wrecking for me and my hubby. I wish we didn't have to leave them with strangers, but we gotta do what we gotta do. Thanks mommas for your responses and wish us luck!:blush:

shortylucy
09-09-2008, 11:04 AM
1. What do you look for in a daycare? What's important, what's not? I agree Safety is #1...and also I would love for a center that will love your child and not just "watch" them.

2. Is a home daycare preferable than a "normal" daycare? Why? Why not? I have no experience with home daycare so I can't say. I love my center based daycare.

3. Would you prefer having someone watch your children in your home? Why? Why not? It would be easier, for sure! But the whole idea of putting them in childcare is for socialization with other children (and because I have to work of course) and they won't get that at home.

4. If someone watched them in your home, would it be ok for them to bring their child? Why? Why not? Sure!

5. What is the approximate cost difference between daycare and home daycare? (in CA, if known or your area) Not sure about home daycare but at my center daycare, it's $190 for 7 to 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. If you go over 9 hours a day, it's $225 a week. This is for one child.

Do you pay $190 for your two youngest?

jenn4262
09-10-2008, 06:03 AM
I liked home daycare for my infant son way back when I worked. We both cried when my son moved on to preschool. I really felt like she loved my boy. But I think you really have to find someone your child "clicks" with.

UnderTheStars
09-11-2008, 01:21 PM

1. Most important to me is supervision and trust. You have to be able to trust whomever it is, center or home daycare, to look after their safety. Some place with a lot of kids and only one adult is a no-go for me - there is no way they can keep an eye on everyone all at once. Don't be afraid to set up interviews and get a feel for someone/someplace. If something doesn't feel right, trust your instincts and keep looking!

2. Depends on the situation. We only have a handful of daycares in our area and they seemed to be overrun with kids. I was lucky enough to find a woman who has two little girls who wanted some extra $$, so she watches my DD also. Again, I think it's more about the child/adult ratio.

3. Either way. On one hand, I know she has everything she needs here at home, but I like her being able to interact with other kids.

4. I don't know, honestly! It has never come up. I guess I don't see why not, as long as the kid isn't a terror :mrgreen:

5. I pay about $30/day for my DD. I *think* that is a tad higher than the daycares charge here BUT I know she is being attended to and is in great hands, and that is worth the extra $$ to me!

GL!

shortylucy
09-13-2008, 12:39 AM
I guess I have a trust issue, but I am working on it. It sounds like you mammas have found exactly what your family needed, which brings a lot of hope to me that I will too find the right setting for my kids. Wish me luck as my search continues!

MPwifey
09-13-2008, 05:58 PM
I work at a Daycare on our military base, and I didn't even put my DD in it until she was a year old. As a young infant ( I went back to work when she was almost 4 months old) she went to a Family Child Care Center ( an in home daycare) The lady didn't have any kids and only watched DD and another little boy who was 3 days older than her. I loved it more than anything. When DD was about 7 months old the little boy left and the lady got a toddler full time and another toddler part day in the afternoons. It was amazign and DD learned a lto from watching them, I think that she talked faster and learned a lto of gross motor skills from them. Sadly the lady went back home when her DH deployed, so we decided to put her in the center I work at.

Our infant ratio is 1 caregiver ot every 4 babies, and I think that it works very well, however if they are mixed ages in a home daycare then I do not recommend more than 6 children at a time to 1 person, and 2 under the age of 2, does that makes sense?

Trust your motherly instincts, you will feel if it doesn't suit your child. It is okay to change childcare too.

If you have any questions or want to know more about what it is like on the inside of a daycare from a caregiver's perspective, feel free to PM me, I am more than happy to help.

Lisa_m
09-14-2008, 06:25 AM
low child to caregiver ratio, below the state requirements. Here the state says 4:1, our daycare is 2:1, sometimes 3:1.

Not for us. We don't know anyone in this area and while a home daycare would seem better, you just never know. In our daycare, all the workers have background checks (state and FBI criminal ones) and have child abuse clearances. Also, no adult is ever left alone in the room. This is a big one for me. It eases my mind more to know that there is always at least 2 adults there. Less chance for sexual abuse by caregivers in a daycare center. Also, I don't want her watching tv all day. No tv at the center.

I would prefer having my sister or my mother watch my child in my home. No one else. I don't want her to be sat in front of the tv all day and I don't want someone in my stuff.

4. If someone watched them in your home, would it be ok for them to bring their child? Why? Why not? I don't know. If it was family fine, but otherwise probably no.

5. What is the approximate cost difference between daycare and home daycare? (in CA, if known or your area) in PA home is about 25/week less.