PDA

View Full Version : I made a dumb decision with a q-tip

raindrop_333
09-14-2008, 03:41 PM
:giggle: I wonder how many of you had odd ideas running through your head with that title!

But seriously, before I got into the shower a couple of hours ago, I stupidly decided to stick a q-tip in my ear to get wax out (I very rarely do that since I know you shouldn't) and instead it pushed the wax wayy back into my ear, to where I can't get it! My hearing is all muffled in that ear now and I'm freaked out thinking how to make it better :cry: Am I overreacting? S/o said this has happened to him before and to just let it go away on its own in a day or 2, like his did. I just feel foolish for doing this in the first place and now I messed my ear up! :( I accidentally pushed the q-tip further than I should have and instantly pulled it out and knew I messed up. At least I didn't hit my ear drum!

Help!

prid5
09-14-2008, 03:50 PM
ouch...you can get ear drops that will help break up the wax to let it flow out easier if it doesnt clear up in a day or so...or take a hot shower and let the hot water hit that side and hope that loosens it up. Don't do that again! hehe

Frogjump
09-14-2008, 03:54 PM
a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxid in your ear keep your head tilted for a few minutes then leave the other way to get it our. It should break up the wax so it will come out.

weareborgswife
09-14-2008, 04:00 PM
They also sell "ear candles" at some of the natural health stores- they are dangerous and you need a second person to use them but they work- basically put one end of the candle (shaped like a narrow funnel) gently in your ear and then light the other end on fire (thus the danger and need for two people) the fire creates gentle vacuumm that sucks all the particles out of your ears- we haven't used them for a long time, but when we did they really cleared out a lot of stuff...

raindrop_333
09-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the replies! I haven't had any ear problems since I was a young child and my children haven't had any, so that explains why I don't have any 'duh' solutions for this :giggle: If it doesn't clear up by tomorrow I'll invest in a bottle of ear drops.

AlexandZoesmom
09-14-2008, 04:17 PM
I second the idea of letting it have a day or two to loosen up.

And yeah ,the thread title did make me :giggle: a bit :)

Mama_Lola
09-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Mineral oil works wonders! This is how doctors recommend you clean your ears out. It's best to let it sit in there for about an hour so do it when you have a little time on your hands to lay down.

tararaboomdeea
09-14-2008, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't put anything in there unless you're positive you didn't rupture your ear drum. If you poked a hole and you put anything liquid in there, you could cause serious damage and/or hearing loss. Maybe go see your Doc just to make sure.

I am a q-tip addict. :blush: I was cleaning with a q-tip one time and my cat nudged the door open to the bathroom. I was home alone and not used to the "sounds" of the house (we had just moved in) and the door kinda creaked. It startled me and poked my ear drum with the q-tip and it perforated my ear drum. It hurt soooo badly and started to bleed. I still have some hearing loss. I took a shower the next morning before my Doc appt. and got in trouble because my Doc said that nothing should be in there if there is a hole, and there was. Oops! So, just be positive if you use any kind of drops that your ear drum is OK.

Rosella
09-14-2008, 09:29 PM
This may be one of my all-time favorite thread titles ever :mrgreen:

Katiebear
09-14-2008, 09:40 PM
I have terrible ears. I refuse to use Q-tips because they typically just compact the wax in there.

My advice is this: If it's not bleeding, nor are you in horrible pain (ala: tararaboomdeea), put some mineral oil in your ear, and let it soak in (lay on the opposite side). If you don't have mineral oil, I've used olive oil and it's been ok. Anyway, drop some in a couple times a day for a couple of days. If it doesn't break up and your hearing doesn't resolve, head in to your local clinic. They'll wash your ear out and you'll be a new woman!

You could go straight to the doctor to see if they'll wash it out, but if it's compacted at all, they'll ask you to do the oil treatment first.

MisanthropeKitty
09-14-2008, 09:41 PM
ditto the peroxide... it feels soo good after doing that!

snangel
09-14-2008, 09:41 PM
That happens to me all the time, I always have to go to the dr, and have him flush my ear out.

raindrop_333
09-16-2008, 01:27 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I definitely didn't poke my ear drum, as I have never had ANY pain, just muffled hearing. No health insurance here, so no going to the doctor for this.

ShyDaisi
09-16-2008, 01:39 AM
I did the exact. same. thing. yesterday! :hide: I saw the thread title and thought - I am not alone!! :giggle2:

I used hydrogen peroxide several times and it has not worked at all. I had my chiro look in my ear today (technically yesterday) and he said it was white (we are assuming due to the hydrogen peroxide) but he couldn't see my eardrum at all. So, I went to Wally World and bought some eardrops and they haven't helped either. I have also tried warm water and a nasal aspirator with an ear attachment (sterilized, of course) both to no avail....When I was at WM, they had these Q-Tip shaped things, but one side had a scoop and the other side a weird looking bulb (like the thing you dip into honey...I am at a loss for what that is called :headscratch: ). I read online that the scoop-like thing is one of the tools an MD might use, so that is my next line of defense.

It is really annoying to not be able to hear. I also am not a normal cotton swab user, and, believe you me, I will not have any problem abstaining in the future.

Love,
Your fellow cotton swab delinquent friend.
:roflmbo:

Trishalynn
09-16-2008, 06:39 AM
one of those needle medicine things (can't remember their real name lol, but looks like a needle, except with out the needle part) and warm water. Get your dh to squirt it in your ear a few times. Thats what the doc always does for my kids when they need to look in their ears.

rlr10200
09-16-2008, 07:12 AM
I do that all the time...kinda dumb but what can ya do? I usually use a cap-full of hydrogen poroxide (sp?) and it bubble up a lot of the wax and helps to speed the natural process. Hope it helps!!