PDA

View Full Version : Did you give fruits or veggies first?

lalybro
09-15-2008, 07:34 AM
After giving cereal to your baby, what was the very first solid you gave to your lo? Was it a fruit or a veggie? Also, did you follow any rules like only green veggies first and then the orange ones?

alsatia23
09-15-2008, 07:55 AM
Sweet Potatoes were first. Then another veggie (and oh my I can't remember which one). Then bananas. No real rules here.

MisanthropeKitty
09-15-2008, 07:57 AM
i did carrots, sweet peas, sweet potatoes, then green beans. i remember this because i bought a little trial size "starter veggie" thing from gerber.

MisanthropeKitty
09-15-2008, 07:58 AM
i forgot, then my first fruit was bananas

foxygoober
09-15-2008, 09:29 AM
. . .actually I think we gave yogurt because I was eating some and gave lo a bite, then two, then three . . .
Now he just eats table food because he wont let us feed him.
With my first lo we did veggies then fruits.

armywife08
09-15-2008, 09:42 AM
i start with veggies, not even cereal with the discrepencies about that. i start on the 6month bday with a veggie, this is what i have with Linc, 1st week: squash, 2nd: sweet peas 3rd: carrots which is what we are on now. and i make my own baby food. i switch off orange and green every week at first so he gets both. hth!

UnderTheStars
09-15-2008, 06:14 PM
We started on the green veggies (I think peas were first) and then gave some carrots and squash, but really....once she realized how much she loved food there was no stopping her. She wanted it all! So it didn't take long before she had tried a little of everything. I think they say to start with the greens because once they taste the sweetness of the fruit they won't want veggies....but even after trying bananas, pears, blueberry, peach, etc, you know what? Peas are still my LO's favorite!

ChloeNAydensmom
09-16-2008, 07:06 AM
I gave fruits first, I mixed it in her cereal. but then again I didn't listen to any of the rules LOL! I started DD on cereal at 3 months because well she likes to eat. She didn't seem to be getting enough from me and she will not take formula (I tried a few times) she wont even take it mixed in cereal.

She likes to eat so much that at 5 months old here is what she eats in a day

7:30, 9:30 - BM maybe about 6+ oz (can't measure when BF'ing LOL)
11:30- 6 TBSP cereal, 4 oz BM, 1/4 stage 1 jar of fruits and 1/4 stage 1 jar of veggies
1:30,3:30,5:30- BM
7:30- 6 TBSP cereal, 4 oz BM, 1/2 jar of fruits
9:30- BM

ShamroxGirl
09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
I made all DS's food, and apples were first. Then carrots and then peas, followed by squash and sweet potatoes, then okinawan sweet potatoes. Now he eats everything from tofu to lentils.

His shedule is such:

6-ish - BF
7:30-ish breakfast of a soft fruit and cheerios, sometimes homemade bread too.
9:30/10-BF and then nap
Noon/12:30 - lunch, usually pasta and veggies, sometimes some shredded meat/cubed tofu, some fruit if he's still hungry, maybe a homemade biscuit.
2-BF
4:30/5- pasta or veggies, meat or tofu, bread and some fruit.

He eats biscuits and bread and snacks on fruit if I'm eating it, practically all day, whenever he wants!

caleb'smommy
09-16-2008, 08:35 PM
We started off with the orange veggies first like sweet potatoes and squash, then the greens and our first fruit was smashed up real bananas. He wouldn't eat the ones from the jar. Now we just alternate everything. No set rules here, we just follow his lead.

newphillymomma
09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
bananas. no rules followed here.

JulieL
09-17-2008, 11:53 PM
first green beans, then carrots, bananas, squash, prunes, sweat potatoes, and the last thing we've tried is pears. My son loves them all! He is such a little piggy!

snelson924
09-18-2008, 05:00 AM
i never gave cereal. i saw no point in it. but we started with green beans simply b/c that is what i had in my house at the time. we didn't really follow rules per se. i just went with what i had. now she eats EVERYTHING. (except peas - she allergic to those.)

etenney
09-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Sweet potatoes was first with my twins. I didn't follow any special rules because I've heard so many different things. they're now six months and eating many of the stage one foods, fruits and veggies both.

-Emily

MamaToBe84
09-23-2008, 08:12 PM
i skipped cereal... he tried bananas last week, and this week, we're trying applesauce... i thin next week either sweet potatoes or another veggie that i can steam and mash for him.

mother_04_07
09-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Oatmeal first at 7mos pre the doctors orders..... after that Prunes with my #1DS and peas with #2DS ....after that no rules