PDA

View Full Version : New w/2 yr old and due in Dec

savsblabla
09-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Hi ladies I guess it's time to take the plunge and jump in.

I'm a mama of a nearly 2 year old boy and have used mostly disposables. I've always wanted to use cloth, and bought some but not enough. I've got a couple covers and some prefolds but just kept putting off investing more since it all seemed kind of complicated and hard to decide on diaper types ya know.

Anyways I'm expecting in Dec/Jan and I want to really commit this time. I'd also not mind trying to switch over my son and start leaning towards potty training. I'm worried this is going to be hard since he's a heavy wetter, I figure I better get several soakers and some hemp liners as well?

I'm not sure what I want to use as far as AIO, prefolds, fitted...... but I hear Bum Genius is a great product and so I'm going to give those a run for my older son. I hear those are too bulky for newborns so it looks like I should be looking for a diaper. I'm thinking prefolds may be too "complicated" for my husband, although we never tried the snappi's.

I seen several suggestions for Jillian's Drawers so I'm thinking that may be a good way to find out what I like. Will it be costly to start a stash for both my 2 year old and newborn? Or what I collect for my 2 year old will probably be great for my newborn since my older son should be out of diapers by the time the newborn can use them? Is Bum Genius 3.0 a good diaper for me since both children will be able to use them at the same time? What's a good suggestion for a newborn type diaper? I know there can be as many opinions as there are people but based on my situation where should I start?

Thanks for any help trying to start off with two kids and build a good stash is hard.

Sav

SillyEllie
09-24-2008, 01:23 PM
if your not sure what diaper option to use, it's great you found DS then! I was totally confused at first too and I bought a couple of every kind and figured out what works good for us. Sadly, before I did that I didn't know about DS and I spent alot of money. Bumgenius are good. I especially like the bamboo fitted. But every mama is different and swears on different brands! Just by a few used ones here. You'll get the hang of it :)

stephy4632
09-26-2008, 05:21 AM
welcome :)

ClothDiaperingMama
10-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi ladies I guess it's time to take the plunge and jump in.

I'm a mama of a nearly 2 year old boy and have used mostly disposables. I've always wanted to use cloth, and bought some but not enough. I've got a couple covers and some prefolds but just kept putting off investing more since it all seemed kind of complicated and hard to decide on diaper types ya know.

Anyways I'm expecting in Dec/Jan and I want to really commit this time. I'd also not mind trying to switch over my son and start leaning towards potty training. I'm worried this is going to be hard since he's a heavy wetter, I figure I better get several soakers and some hemp liners as well?

I'm not sure what I want to use as far as AIO, prefolds, fitted...... but I hear Bum Genius is a great product and so I'm going to give those a run for my older son. I hear those are too bulky for newborns so it looks like I should be looking for a diaper. I'm thinking prefolds may be too "complicated" for my husband, although we never tried the snappi's.

I seen several suggestions for Jillian's Drawers so I'm thinking that may be a good way to find out what I like. Will it be costly to start a stash for both my 2 year old and newborn? Or what I collect for my 2 year old will probably be great for my newborn since my older son should be out of diapers by the time the newborn can use them? Is Bum Genius 3.0 a good diaper for me since both children will be able to use them at the same time? What's a good suggestion for a newborn type diaper? I know there can be as many opinions as there are people but based on my situation where should I start?

Thanks for any help trying to start off with two kids and build a good stash is hard.

Sav

Hello Sav! WELCOME TO DIAPERSWAPPERS!!:hugs:

Wow! You sound like I did when I first started thinking about cding. My first piece of advice, and I strongly encourage you to take it... ONLY buy ONE of each type/style/brand of diaper that you think you will like and try it out ON your little one before investing in more. It will save a lot of time and money. I personally don't like prefolds, so it didn't matter to me that they could be 'cheaper". I felt like they were a lot of work, not too cute, and a big learning curve to figure out how to get them on. It didn't help that I had a 'mover" toddler who didn't want to lay there while I figured out.:giggle2:
Most definitely whatever you buy your toddler, your baby can use!:thumbsup:

I personally do NOT like BumGenius, at all! My first experience with them was the BG AIO. It had nylon for the outer instead of PUL. {first :yuck: }. The second was my ds1 is a SUPER soaker and he would pee right through it. The only AIO that has even come close to holding in with my super soaker is the Berry Plush AIO. {which is really like an AI2 because the soaker snaps in & out}. Now they have BumGenius 3.0 {one size}. I will tell you.. they are NOT. I have a very skinny ds1 who only weighs 27lbs. He can not wear them. The rise is too short.{plummers crack}. I have tried almost all of the 'one sized' diapers and I MUCH prefer 'sized diapers" because they actually last longer. Fuzzi Bunz pocket diapers are the ONLY diaper that didn't leak for my ds. They fit his skinny legs, etc. My new little baby is a chunky monkey and they fit him too. Mediums in FuzziBunz seem to last forever! My 3yr. old can still wear size mediums! {I have him in Petites & larges because of rise and needing to add extra inserts. I don't want them too tight on him or have gaps in the legs}.
You will see on here that some people LOVE BG and some people HATE FBs. That is okay, what works for one mama.. won't necessarily work for another. That is why it is so important for each mama to buy ONE of each type/style/brand of diaper that she thinks she will like and actually use it out ON her little one before investing in more.

I would definitely get HEMP and BAMBOO inserts too!:thumbsup: If you have a super soaker like I do, you will probably prefer a pocket diaper so that you can control the amount of 'stuffin' in the cd. I always have 2 inserts in with both of my boys. {a microfiber or prefold insert on top. You need those on top to catch the fast pees that hemp can't} then a hemp insert on the bottom. {Hemp can hold a lot, but can't handle fast, forceful pees}. I hope that makes sense.

I would also encourage you to buy size small diapers with any newborn cds that you are thinking of buying. I bought all newborn sized and no smalls so when my 37 weeker came out weighing 9lbs. 5.8ozs.. the newborn sizes were too small!:banghead: By the time the smalls arrived, he was only in them for 2/3 weeks. He is now in medium FBs.:blush: :giggle2: The medium FBs will last a really long time though!:thumbsup:

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you. I was trying to keep it simple.:blush: :giggle2:

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!!

Please remember when buying/selling/trading with anyone that you always check feedback! If you have any feedback from another forum or Ebay, you can let the people know that you are buying/selling/trading with.

Again WELCOME!! We are so glad that you are here!!:hugs:

GEM Cloth
10-02-2008, 02:38 AM
Hi and welcome! I'm new too and also getting a late start with CDing. *blush*

You might want to think about making some diapers in different styles to see what you like. I've made some flats and prefolds and am getting ready to start on fitteds. I'm using old t-shirts, old flannel shirts, and flannel sheets. My son and I both love the flannel. I'm in the process of buying a few AIOs and covers from members here.

Also a lot of members here have all kinds of things for sale at some really good prices. Check around and when you find something you want, look for their other posts because they may have something else you need!

Enjoy!