PDA

View Full Version : Spitting up after nearly every feeding?

ja*smom
09-22-2008, 10:43 AM
My 2 week old has been spitting up after nearly every feeding since birth. Is that normal?

clb
09-22-2008, 10:56 AM
it was *normal* for my guy, but I did have a friend comment that he spat up a lot, so I'm guessing it wasn't normal for her lo. It lessened for us around 4 months.

PoconoPrincess
09-22-2008, 11:05 AM
My 6.5 week old DS will spit up everytime if I don't burp him in the middle and after feedings, and especially if we are feeding laying on our sides. I think I have it lessened when I don't lay him flat after a feeding too. I also think he spits up when he is FULL, like his tummy is overflowing with booby milk! Hope this helps!

ja*smom
09-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks! DS was FF, so I had no idea that BF babies could/would spit up this much too.

dragondance
09-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Does he arch his back and scream or anything, or is he happy about it? If he's happy about it, probably just a "happy spitter" and don't worry about it. :thumbsup:

Kristen82
09-22-2008, 11:42 AM
it also depends on how much he's spitting up...just a little bit or a whole lot?

my youngest spit up a tiny bit after each feeding, like one pp said if I burped during the feeding it helped a bit. I also learned that my let down was so fast that he swallowed a lot of air at first so if I pumped a little bit before feeding him it wasnt as severe. I also learned that he was a "rocker" not a "bouncer" lol if we bounced him he'd spit up every time.

ja*smom
09-22-2008, 01:12 PM
It seems like a lot more than it really is, I think. She tends to do better if I nurse her in a sort of elevated football hold too and not lay her down for about 10 minutes or more after feeding. Sometimes it is digested BM she is spitting up, others it is just like she overate.

marusempai
09-22-2008, 02:26 PM
DD2 is a continual spitter, lol. She spits after feeds, between feeds, during feeds... pretty much any time she feels like it I guess. It can certainly be normal, some babies are just like that. If your LO is happy and growing well, spitting isn't a health issue, just an aesthetic one. :)

sheldensb
09-22-2008, 02:40 PM
My ds started spitting up, like projectile vomiting, several weeks ago, and he's 4.5 months old. My pediatrician suggested that he might have reflux, and like some of the mamas suggested, putting him in a semi-sitting up position after eating since laying him down flat just made it worse.

It's actually gotten better recently--I think our problem was fast let-down, gulping too much air, and not burping well enough. That's really not a good combo--it could also be something you're eating that's passing through the breastmilk that could be upsetting their tummy. Some babies are just sensitive to the foods you eat.

flobee76
09-22-2008, 02:45 PM
DD2 is a continual spitter, lol. She spits after feeds, between feeds, during feeds... pretty much any time she feels like it I guess. It can certainly be normal, some babies are just like that. If your LO is happy and growing well, spitting isn't a health issue, just an aesthetic one. :)

this was DS for sure. I was constantly smelling of sour milk. :yuck:

It finally slowed down after a few months. LOL

dogmom327
09-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Totally normal for DS. It drove us nuts but eventually (like 6 months later) got better.

rosefall
09-22-2008, 07:54 PM
DS (1 month tomorrow) spits up after most feedings, sometimes just a little, sometimes a lot. He's growing like a weed though, so I'm not too worried.

GEM Cloth
09-24-2008, 08:40 AM
My first child spat up quite a bit and I was so surprised because I thought BF babies didn't spit up! My third child spat up a LOT, both frequency and volume. Both of them are sensitive, high needs children. (My second child was very mellow as a baby and didn't cry or spit up much.) Neither one of them was suffering from it so I didn't worry about it. The third child started eating solids early and stopped spitting up very soon after he started eating.

So I would say like everyone else has said, if your child is healthy otherwise don't worry about it!