PDA

View Full Version : BLW?

saraem
09-28-2008, 05:29 PM
DS will be 7 months in a week. We started solids 3 weeks ago very casually. He eats avocado, sweet potato, brown rice cereal, carrots, bananas, usually mixed with BM...but not on any schedule or everyday.

He doesn't seem to be all that interested for the most part, but tries to steal our food all the time and loves playing with the spoon, etc. I'm wondering if he would do better with a BLW approach since he could hold the food himself. I just don't know what to give him...if you did BLW what was the first food you fed?

Or should I just stop solids and wait a month? Maybe he's just not ready?

ShyDaisi
09-28-2008, 06:54 PM
The first food I gave Micah was slices of avocado. He didn't care for it too much, so the next time I tried sweet potato, followed by butternut squash. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots -- all very softly steamed. And I just gave him large chunks and just let him lead the way. If he ate, great! If not, great! No matter if he played/threw/squished/tasted/spit, I just let him have at it. I put a towel on the floor to catch the remnants. I always let him nurse first, then offered solids, then topped off with nursing again. I am soooo glad that I chose to do BLW. Following his lead showed me when HE was ready to eat, not when the books told us too.

I don't think that he swallowed anything of substance for several months. Around 11 months is when he started really ingesting, and around 14 months his appetite skyrocketed. If you let him lead, he WILL eat but it will ONLY be when he is ready.

iamhis0
09-29-2008, 06:06 PM
We started with slices of avocado, then moved to spears of zucchini. We also did whole pears, just peeled them and handed them to him.

This site has a lot of good information about BLW:
http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/schema/engels.html

If he keeps refusing or not taking well to the BLW approach, he may just not be ready.

jazter
09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
We did the BLW, too, started with yams. A lot of soft fruit. Really well-cooked veggies. Soft meat like moist turkey and chicken. The site the above poster mentioned is really awesome. We started with one meal a day, went up when he seemed interested or was hungry all the time.

saraem
09-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks for all the info, sounds like this is really the route we should be going as DS loves to self-feed. I'm definitely going to do some more research, starting with the link above.