PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a 6th grader?

keegans_mommy
10-27-2006, 01:35 PM
I am having difficulties with Tiffany. She doesn't want to get started, especially with Math and we cannot afford more curriculum or to try different math programs. She does very well with computer games though. I don't know what to do.

Any other suggestions? I really do not want her falling behind where she's suppose to be!

thumbelinadiapers
10-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Yep, my daughter Alex is in 6th grade.Math is usually her strong subject but she has been struggling so far this year, with geometry. Polygons and all that. Shes having a really hard time. She needs a tutor, but we can't afford it, we are thinking of getting her some computer cd roms to learn on.

annes_cottage
10-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Yep, I have 2 of them. They must hit a rut in this grade. They used to be good in math also...now....well...not so much. I think it is the age or something. Not sure what I am going to do either. You are not alone.

bsydprmkn
10-28-2006, 09:04 AM
my sister was in 6th grade last year and her math suffered big time. i think my dad got her some computer games that dealth with math since she was hooked on her computer.

desertblossom79
10-28-2006, 08:01 PM
You only pulled her out of ps a little over a month ago if I read your previous posts correctly right? How long was she in public school? She may just need a little more time to decompress and learn to respect mom's new double role as mom and teacher.

Remember, she's not in school anymore with 25 or so of her peers. What takes schools months to accomplish, you may be able to accomplish in days or weeks in your one-on-one setting. I'd give her a couple more weeks to decompress, not to say you shouldn't do anything with her but just take it easy a little while longer, and see if you don't see any improvement. Also, whose to say she's behind? I don't know the specifics of your situation but she may be right where she is meant to be, whether or not that's where every other 12yo is doesn't matter.

Another thing that might be worth looking into is her mathematical "foundation" How are her foundational math skills? Can she add subtract multiply and divide without trouble? What about fractions and decimals? Does she know the "how" and "why" of these things or are the just random memorized facts and formulas? If her foundation is weak, that may be why she's having trouble building upon it. It will be well worth the time to fix her foundation if there are any weak spots because she may just surprise you and fly through what was once hard for her because she lacked some foundational knowledge. (I'm not saying this is the case, I'm just saying it's possible)

FWIW, I never "got" math until I was in college and then it finally clicked, it was like a light bulb went on. After that I sailed through college math and the higher math I needed for the engineering degree I was worked toward in my former life. ;-) I just wasn't "wired" to understand it before then. I got mostly A's and some B's in every other subject in Jr high and high school, except math where I got C's and a few D's. Once I got to college though I started getting A's in math after it finally clicked. So it all worked out in the end.

Anywho, hope this helped

Jeni