PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Naptime potty learning - DD won't stay in her room!

Cute Little Bugs
10-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I am desperate and I don't know where to go for help. DD started PLing about 2-3 weeks ago, and she's 95% there during the day. I still put a diaper on her at night. My problem is with naptime. She sleeps in a big bed in her own room and when she was in diapers I would shut the door during her nap. Obviously when she's wearing panties she needs to be able to come out to use the potty. She WON'T stay in her room. She comes out ever 10 seconds saying she needs to potty. The first few times she produces a trickle, but after that nothing. This will go on for hours and I'm not exaggerating. I know she's using the potty as an excuse to get out of her room, but I don't know how to make her stay in there while also allowing her the ability to come out if she NEEDS to. She has stayed dry during naps with and without a diaper on, so I know she can do it. She has even done it with the door closed. What do I do? How do I get her to learn to sleep with the door open?

sheldensb
10-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Sounds kind of gross, but you could put a potty chair in her room so that it's available if she needs to use it, but could close the door still and take away her option to leave the room. Just a thought...

Cute Little Bugs
10-04-2008, 11:09 PM
That's what my doctor said (we went yesterday) but I'm so afraid she'd try to dump it out! I suppose I could put a gate on the door so I could still look in to see what she was doing with it....

skueppers
10-05-2008, 08:15 AM
I don't have any personal experience with this -- my daughter stopped taking naps before she potty learned, and by the time she was using the potty at 2 1/2, she could open all the doors in the house. Also, neither of my kids has ever fallen asleep in their bed on a regular basis without a parent being in the room, which changes the dynamic considerably.

I think if it were me, I would probably do the same thing I do at bedtime, which is to allow 2 trips to the potty and then no more.

Cloth4us
10-05-2008, 12:16 PM
We have a gate with the door open a little. If DD says she has to go, she can come out once. After that, I put her little potty in her room. Sometimes she uses it, sometimes she doesn't have to go. She's never tried to spill it. They do grow out of this stage (although very frustrating as you go through it). Originally, DD loved to go potty in every store we went to- I was racing around the mall on multiple occasions trying to get her to a bathroom, only to find she didn't really need to go. Now, she still goes the normal amount with me, but she can be out for over 3 hrs with my DH and she won't go at all.