PDA

View Full Version : Sigh, came away with more referrals than we were expecting

meghann8
10-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Logan had his appointment today to get his therapy referrals. He was in speech and OT before, and they had been talking about PT, but then we moved. So we went to the dr. today to get the referrals for all of those in the system, plus a referral to the developmental pediatrician so we can finally get an official diagnosis.

Things were going really well, this was our first time meeting his new dr., so I had been nervous, but she put in all the referrals no questions asked. She even didn't give me a hard time when I said we delay vax and hadn't decided what we were going to do in that area. She just went "ok!" and changed the subject.

Right before we were going to leave though, she decided to do a quick physical check up. As she was listening to his chest she started asking if he ever gets winded when he plays, or if he's ever turned blue. I said no, and she said he has a heart murmur. No one has ever mentioned one before, and she seemed pretty sure she heard one. So she put in a referral to get him seen by pediatric cardiology as well. Sigh.

I know chances are that things are fine, especially since Lindsay has a very mild murmur (which didn't show up till she was Logan's age oddly enough). But I am still going to worry. :(

CadenJames062503
10-07-2008, 05:12 PM
:hugs:

TestifyToLove
10-07-2008, 05:53 PM
:hugs:

My oldest had a benign murmur show up when he was 10. Freaked me out at first, but EKG and a referral to a ped cardiologisted proved it was harmless and due to his fast growth.

I really like having a doctor who will work with me on referrals easily. Anytime I feel like the little guy needs something, I just call the family doctor and he immediately puts in for the referrals for us without hassling or having to see us.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
10-07-2008, 06:02 PM
:hugs: the ekg's aren't bad mama:hugs:

meghann8
10-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the hugs.

Lindsay had an EKG when they checked hers out, so we know what to expect with that, but the dr. said they might want to do an echo as well. Can anyone tell me what that involves?

~Ashley~
10-08-2008, 12:09 PM
The echo is an U/S of the heart basically. They did several on Syrus to see if they could see a "misfire" or misdirection of blood flow. ((It was neg for both.)) A lot of kids don't mind the echo because it is done laying down, but when they go under his chin to check his aorta he might get a little nervous or scared. I know they always played movies for Syrus to keep his attention diverted, hopefully, if he does need it, they will do the same for your DS. I hope everything is fine and that it is just a result of fast growth. Good luck mama.

karmagl
10-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I know how you feel I feel like we live off refferals

ClothDiaperingMama
10-11-2008, 01:31 AM
:bighug: :bighug:

I am glad that you got the referrals that you needed! Sorry that he may have a heart murmor!:hugs: Two of my babies did {along with the 'hole in heart' thing}. I also had a heart murmor growing up. I don't have it now, although I have heard twice by 2 different drs that I do.:headscratch:

Please keep us updated!:hugs: