PDA

View Full Version : PT vs PL and can i skip the trainers?

EricaLynn
11-21-2008, 01:01 AM
So here is my scenerio... My dd is 22 1/2 months old. She is still in CD's and can tell me when they are wet or dirty, but often fibs and says that she is dry because she does NOT want me to change her. Its getting really old and I feel like a bad mama because she ends up staying in the same diapers for hours because sometimes its just not worth the battle we go through:cry:

We just got back from being out of town, and while oot she pooped on the potty a few times and also pee'd on the potty a few times (after peeing on the floor a little and then me rushing her to the potty to finish, but she can stop the pee mid stream) However when we had to come home there was no way I could let her run around naked and rush her to the potty every 20 minutes because of flying etc so we got lazy and used diapers.

Now that we are home she is sitting on the potty again, but hasnt gone. She knows when she has a diaper/pull up trainer on and she just goes in that. However if I put her in big girl undies she wont pee in them. She will do 2 drops and then stop. But when I help her onto the potty she doesnt always go even though I know she needs to.

So these are my quesions, if there is anyone still reading this:giggle: :

If I initiate potty usage at this time is it PL or PT.... I think it is mutual at this point, she is fine with sitting on the potty and is NOT fine with me changing her diaper frequently. On the other hand she is not initiating the potty usage, I want to take her lead on this and had planned on PLing whenever she was ready... she seems ready to give it a seriuos try at the moment but I dont want to force her.

Can I skip trainers? They are cute and all and I would love to have an exuse to buy cute trainers.... BUT we have a blueberry trainer, and not only am I unimpressed by it even though many people said they were wonderful.... my DD also just uses it as a diaper... She can tell the diffrence between diaper and undies and if she knows pee is about to go down her leg she wont go... she HATES it when pee goes down her leg. I was thinking maybe a couple of actual trainers for car rides, nap/night time etc. But then just using undies when we start PL/PT ing. I have heard of undies that have a couple more layers in the danger zone, but not enough to keep a kiddo dry or hold a whole pee, which seems to be what my dd needs.

Anyone who is still here, THANK YOU! :thumbsup:

travelinmom
11-21-2008, 01:22 AM
I only used trainers when going out and overnight. Just undies every other time. I really don't think it matters what the terminology is as long as you are both happy and it works.

EricaLynn
11-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Thanks... I wasnt trying to come off as superficial... I just wanted to make sure she was ready... I know that *I* am ready due to all of our recent diaper change tantrums... and she is really at a stage where she must do it, I dont need to help so.... I think she is ready I just dont want to whole thing to be my idea and have it blow up in my face:giggle:

EricaLynn
11-21-2008, 01:30 AM
One more question... the trainers you got for overnight/going out.... they were waterproof yes?

jessalyn
11-21-2008, 07:10 AM
When DD was learning we used trainers when out and at bed time, we used panties the rest of the time. The trainers we had were waterproof. For the most part the kept her clothes dry. We started working on training when DD was about 22 - 22 1/2 month old. She is now 25 months and totally trained/learned, even nights. Good luck.

EricaLynn
11-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks so much:) DD has been waking up dry since she was like 9 months old :D This morning we had 1 success on teh potty. And today we have had 4 accidents and no successes. I told her if she went on the potty at my work, i would take her to the store to pick out a potty ring to keep at work. She really wanted to do it, but we didnt end up doing it because she didnt pee in the potty at all at work, and even pooped in her undies... i am usually good at catching the poops. I am going to commit 100% to this for a week.... if she shows no improvement we will wait. Thanks again for the help!

mrsdelaughter
11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Gerber makes a trainer that has 3 layers in the middle. It isn't very absorbant, but it is better than underwear. With my DD4, I just dealt with accidents for a week. When she realized that I meant business, she started peeing in the potty. Good Luck! I am currently doing this with my DS2. Yesterday was good, today I have washed poo and changed clothes several times, but it is a learning process.

thirdtimemomma
11-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Seriously I would just use your diapers for going out or nights. Just put them in a special place and call them her "Night Nights" and that she is so big for not needing them in the day. :) And at home I would use underwear. We just have a simple rule at our house, potty after meals, potty when you wake up, and potty before bed/bath. Then I try to take my PLer at least once in the afternoon say after naptime. Usually we start that routine after we've spent two days or so going every hour or until we produce pee-pee's. Once they get the idea to pee in the potty then its pretty easy with the routine from there. The kids that I used trainers for had a harder time PLing than the kids I skipped the trainers and used underwear and diapers for night nights. :)

EricaLynn
11-25-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks. We got some gerber trainers the other day, our dept store didnt have any regular undies that were small enough for dd. They are in the wash and we will keep trying:) We did have a success yesterday and some atempts today, so she is trying:)