PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training a 16 month old?

Mom2Will
12-04-2008, 12:37 PM
I have a 15 month old boy. I would like to try to potty train him a bit earlier than what is considered normal by most people. I was thinking of starting at the first of the year, at which point he will be 16 months old. Have any of you had success with potty training a child of this age? Does any one have any advice they can offer? Also, what type of potty chair would you recommend?

flobee76
12-04-2008, 12:39 PM
I think that this could be considered "Late EC (Elimination Communication)". I did late EC w/ DD and used the Baby Bjorn little potty. I think it was around $10 from Babies R Us. It was small enough for her and easy to clean.

Check out the EC board and also Diaper-Free Baby.

Mom2Will
12-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I kind of wondered if this would be called late EC or early PT...

I've seen the little potty you are talking about online. I wondered if maybe it would be too small for him though. I actually bought a potty when Will was 10 months old and he peed in it several times, but then started to resist sitting on it so I decided not to push it. Our potty is the Winnie the Pooh one they have at Wal-Mart. It's cute but I'm not real happy with it. It seems uncomfortable and the splash guard doesn't prevent splashes at all. I think we need a larger / taller splash guard.

blossomgoat
12-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Our DD began a more serious EC routine at that same age, but had part-time ECed from 6 weeks on. She would have been done PTing at 19mos but for a stomach bug. Now at 24 months, she's very dependable.

Offer the potty at every change and maybe in between if you've got some sedentary activity like watching a potty video. You can sit him on it while he watches.

Potty books are great, too. The sooner he realizes that HE makes the poo and pee, the easier your job gets.

We had the Little Potty until she was about 15 mos and then switched to the Graco. I can't speak for the splash guard, tho, as we have a girl. LOL.

Mom2Will
12-04-2008, 12:59 PM
I was thinking of ordering the Child Matters - Once Upon a Potty potty chair and book set from Wal-mart's website. Has anyone tried it? I would post a link, but can't because I don't have enough posts yet.

Mom2Will
12-04-2008, 01:01 PM
blossomgoat- Thanks for the help. Are there any potty books or videos that you really liked?

Mom2Will
12-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Oh, and I can post a link to the potty I was talking about now because I have 10 posts!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8205810

MomtoRyan
12-04-2008, 05:34 PM
I am also trying to Late EC my son who is 16mths. We have the little bjorn potty and also the larger version we bought this weekend. I have to admit I am slackign right now b/c I have the bug. We also have numerous potty books but I wil have to take a look at the titles.:mrgreen:

BTW the larger bjorn has a great splash guard!!

zacks_mommy
12-04-2008, 07:18 PM
we are working with my 16 monther right now. EVERY time we go to the bathroom we sit him on the potty. We have a baby bjorn (not the little potty though)

happymommyto2
12-05-2008, 05:16 PM
We started training Addie at 14 months and she learned quickly. After a few days she had accidents here and there and after a couple of weeks she was down to rare accidents. Now she is accident free.

MomtoRyan
12-05-2008, 06:00 PM
We started training Addie at 14 months and she learned quickly. After a few days she had accidents here and there and after a couple of weeks she was down to rare accidents. Now she is accident free.

What did you do?

happymommyto2
12-07-2008, 06:28 AM
What did you do?

Check out the Early PT Support Thread. I have discussed what worked for us in there.

Mom2Will
12-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Is it best to ditch the diapers as soon as you start potty training to prevent confusion or still use diapers for a while to prevent messes. I've heard both arguments and I'm not sure.

Tweedledum
12-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Is it best to ditch the diapers as soon as you start potty training to prevent confusion or still use diapers for a while to prevent messes. I've heard both arguments and I'm not sure.I'm reading Keys to Toilet Training by Zweiback and No Cry Potty-Training Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. They seem to suggest it's really a parent choice. If you are able to stay relaxed and postive about potty training even if you have to clean up messes, then by all means, go right to trainers or underwear. But if you know that you will get stressed out/angry/feel like a failure if your child has an accident, then stick to dipes until your LO is reliable about using the potty.

When you make the transition to trainers/undies, begin first at home. Continue to CD on outings and at night. Both authors state that it is normal for a child to wet the bed up until 6 years of age, as holding one's bladder through sleep is largely determined by physiology and has little to do with psychological motivation. 25% of all 4 year olds wet the bed, and as many as 15% of 6 year olds are still wetting the bed at least some of the time. Kids can become very upset and frustrated that they are still wetting the bed at night, so it's important to not place too much parental expectations or pressure here.

HTH.

Mom2Will
12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the help. That makes sence. I have heard some say that babies are basically trained to poop/pee in their diapers, so as long as you keep them in diapers they will continue to do it. I think I may try undies or trainers first when we are at home, but if it becomes frustrating...like you described...just switch back to diapers till the PT is a little further along.

Mom2Will
12-15-2008, 11:57 AM
OH, I forgot to ask about the 2 books that you said you are reading- do the give info on PT a younger toddler or are the mainly about potty training a child that's 2+, like a lot of the other books that are out there?

blossomgoat
12-15-2008, 12:42 PM
blossomgoat- Thanks for the help. Are there any potty books or videos that you really liked?

Sorry for the delay...

DD insists on watching Elmo's Potty every single day. It's a great video for building confidence in the older child but also gets any age of child to talk about the potty a lot. If you look up Elmo Potty on youtube you can see a clip from the DVD.

We read Once Upon a POtty, Everyone Poops, Oh No! GOtta Go! and Oh No! Gotta Go #2 frequently, also. HTH:thumbsup:

blossomgoat
12-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Is it best to ditch the diapers as soon as you start potty training to prevent confusion or still use diapers for a while to prevent messes. I've heard both arguments and I'm not sure.

We tried both ways and using waterproof trainers for a few weeks got her to understand the concept while still allowing us to have some sense of ease but she didn't realize we wanted her to potty full time until we moved to undies full time. It was about a week later that she made a huge leap forward, and then two or three weeks later she started telling US when it was time to go.

Tweedledum
12-15-2008, 01:52 PM
OH, I forgot to ask about the 2 books that you said you are reading- do the give info on PT a younger toddler or are the mainly about potty training a child that's 2+, like a lot of the other books that are out there?

Both books have some information on PTing a one year old. Both refer to it as a sort of pre-potty training stage, as at less than 2, the child lacks many critical skills for successful potty usage (ie, will need help pulling pants/undies up and down, wiping, washing) and generally is not self-motivated yet to use the potty. Parents choosing to PT at this age will have to be extra vigilant and stay in very close range. They do say it may be worthwhile to begin PT before 2, though, as generally younger toddlers have not succumbed to toddler negativity/rebellion and will be more cooperative as you set up your routines of using the potty, wiping and washing afterwards. Apparently, older toddlers will be more likely to comply with a potty routine/schedule if it is set up early on. Regardless of what age PTing was begun, 98% of children are fully daytrained by age 4.

Here's what Elizabeth Pantley has to say about PTing:

The perfect age to begin potty training is different for every child. Your child's best starting age could be anywhere from eighteen to thirty-two months. Pre-potty training preparation can begin when a child is as young as ten months.

You can begin training at any age, but your child's biology, skills and readiness will determine when he can take over his own toileting.

No matter the age that toilet training begins, most children become physically capable of independent toileting between ages of 2 1/2 and 4.

I strongly recommend reading the books. I like to check out two books on the same topic just so I can be sure that neither author is proposing any "way out there" ideas. So far, both authors are pretty much in agreement with each other and both are very reasonable in their approaches. Neither one suggests that you can PT your kid in 3 days or makes any outrageous claims. Check them out from your public library if you don't want to shell out the $$$. It's what I did.

alnoodle
01-03-2009, 12:51 AM
My daughter started exploring the potty at 9 months. I suggest a seat that sits on the big potty though. My daughter hates the potty chairs and would rather pee on the floor. I think starting early is a good idea... you know... as kids many of us were pt at 18 months completely!

aikigypsy
01-03-2009, 05:38 AM
You might also want to read Diaper Free Before 3 (http://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Free-Before-Healthier-Toilet-Diapers/dp/0307237095/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230985819&sr=1-3). IMO her method is very structured, bordering on rigid, but she's got a lot of good research in there.

proudmama4
01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
I am reading that book now. I like how she seems to take things slow and insists on no frustration for parent and baby. DS is 12 months and we've ordered a potty chair.