PDA

View Full Version : How quickly do you ship??

manymillers8
12-15-2008, 09:23 PM
ACK - warning : rant ahead. :rant:

I have agreed to a couple of trades lately, in leiu of pp. I also purchased an item on fsot, as well as some pf's from a well-known, highly respected company. Most of this was done right before or after Thanksgiving (like that weekend, or by the middle of the next week). I have only received 1 item.:banghead: Even the pf's I ordered took over 3 (!!) weeks to arrive by FedEx.

Problem in each case has NOT been (surprisingly enough) the carrier's fault. The mama's & the company have all waited AT LEAST 4-7 days to ship,with 1 mama waiting 2 weeks to ship, when I had paid for priority. :hairpull: One mama should have shipped 2 weeks ago, and best I can tell, STILL hasn't.:nono:

WHAT is the point of NOT shipping quickly??? It just seems disrespectful to the buyer to have to wait for the seller's "convienence" to ship, after they were quick to pay for their items. And when 2 mama's trading agree on a day to ship - then ship that day!! If you can't, at LEAST communicate that to the other mom.

Granted, I am anal retentive about quick shipping. BUT, I have 6 kids that I homeschool, and I'm preg with my 7th, and I'm a wahm. My hubby works 17 hours daily, Mon-Fri, and I very rarely have any time away from my kids. AND I ALWAYS ship within 48 hours - but mostly get my items out either the same day, or the next day - there's only been 2 items that took me longer than 24 hours to ship. I know things come up, kids get sick, etc - but seriously, 1-2 weeks go by before a seller can print a pp label, and stick the package in their mailbox???

So my question is: ON AVERAGE, how quickly do you mail out your items? Of course, not including holidays or weekends.

Ok, rant over.:mrgreen: Now please don't throw stones at me.:roflmbo:

jollygoodANDgreen
12-15-2008, 09:43 PM
I too am very particular about shipping ASAP. IMO, once the buyer has paid you and you have their money, it's your responsibility as the seller to get the item out honestly, at your earliest convenience. SS your having to go through this mama, I know it's very frustrating, hope you get your items soon.

kate2128
12-15-2008, 09:44 PM
I usually ship either the same day or the next day. However, I just listed a bunch of stuff on FSOT and in the listings I say I will ship within 2-3 days or sooner. I put that on there because I can barely get myself out the door now since baby #3 arrived, although after reading your situation, I think I'll need to do better! I know I like to get my stuff asap, so I try to get stuff to people quickly, too.

foodie.yarnie.mommie.
12-15-2008, 09:49 PM
OH CARP, this just reminded me that I have forgotten to ship something. :banghead: :hide:

Well obviously I can be kinda a bad shipper, BUT if I am remiss in sending something then I always ship priority or express. I think that people should receive their items in under 2 weeks unless coming from outside the country, so if I forget then I need to make up the time.

momtomy4
12-15-2008, 09:51 PM
I have to go to the post office to ship, so it depends on when I can get there with the baby in tow, I do ship 2x a week though.

Zabibaby
12-15-2008, 09:56 PM
no later than 48 hours.
Except if it is to Canada, in this cases I have to go to post office.

Maple_Sugar_Designs
12-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Since I have discovered pp shipping it is always done within 24-48 hours.

jael831
12-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Usually within a day or so when I am done with a custom or the trade has been completed... my postal carrier, Dave, just told me he can take all my packages that have the labeled printed so thats what I do now and dont even have to go to the PO.. makes shipping much easier and quicker.

ibenchu
12-15-2008, 10:03 PM
I know I love getting my dipes ASAP, so I try and do the same for other mama's. I usually ship same day or next day. I am excited for THEM to get their stuff! :goodvibes:

AJ'sMama
12-15-2008, 10:05 PM
I always ship the day of receiving payment or the next business day, and I have to go to the PO every time as I don't have a scale and I'm usually shipping to the US. And we only have one car too. I don't get waiting either, that's just rude. If you can't get things shipped out, you shouldn't be listing them at all IMO.

donrantj
12-15-2008, 10:17 PM
I usually ship the next business day, if not the same day.

I hope you get your packages quickly.

harmoni247
12-15-2008, 10:31 PM
i seriously TRY to get it out within 1-2 days...and for the most part i do....but lately (like the past month), it does seem like i've forgotten to ship things more :banghead: and sometimes it just doesn't happen....I dont have a scale and therefore have to go to the PO....our PO closes at 4:30 and DH is *supposed* to get off at 4 and is home by around 4:15...leaving JUST enough time to get out of the house with everything and make it there by 4:29....(we have 1 car) there are times that this delilcate balance of time doesn't happen and I don't make it for a couple days in a row and I feel terrible....and I've tried taking the car on DHs lunch....but it never fails that he comes home, we all get in the car and drop him back off and take the car and by the time I get to the PO, DS is out like a light....grrrr....and the effort is wasted

i think you might be forgetting that some people don't have a scale :dunno: ....i doubt I'd ever take more than a day if I just had to print a label.....

togg_mama
12-15-2008, 10:36 PM
IMO, you need to ship within the time frame that you require payment. :giggle:

I require payment within 24 hours of giving you my paypal so I require myself to get that package to the po within 24 hours of receiving payment. If it's going to be delayed due to pre-known schedule difficulties, that's put in the FSOT post.

There was a time or two when life happened and I automatically upgraded shipping to priority, or else added a special gift on top to make up for my negligence.

When it comes to trades (which I'm basically done with now because of this issue) I think both parties need to make it top priority to get the packages out.

Bottom line: if you're too busy to ship, you're too busy to sell or trade.

Corey3739
12-15-2008, 10:36 PM
I try to get things shipped within a day or two. If it's going to Canada it might take a bit longer since i have to go to the PO and I prefer to do that when I can slip away without the kids. Anything bought on Friday or over the weekend ships on Monday.

isabel249
12-15-2008, 11:01 PM
1-2 days, a lot of times within 24 hours though.

Teeniebean
12-15-2008, 11:03 PM
I usually ship either the same day or the next day (or Monday, if the purchase is on the weekend). If for some reason I can't, I always contact the other person and let them know. For me, communication is key.

Computermama
12-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Never let it go more than 2 days and try to get it out within 24 hours, which is usually do-able. I *hate* it when the seller takes 3 days to a week to ship something to me. I mean, I *have* to go to the PO for every package I ship, no matter where I ship it to. So the "well, since you're in Canada you're going to have to wait" really doesn't fly with me. I'm in Canada, so I have to wait on customs and my slow a** postal system, it's just an added kick in the pants when the seller dawdles too.

AshleyLD
12-15-2008, 11:53 PM
I try to ship with in 48 hours. But with 2 1 yr olds and a 5 yr old its hard to get out of the house. But now that i got a scale it should take less time because I can just to the PP shipping.
I have not had a problem with someone shipping yet. Sorry you are having a problem. Its just plain rude.. If you ask me.

Primm_n_Proper_Baby
12-16-2008, 12:00 AM
usually next day, but no more than 3 days. I don't stick my packages in my mailbox/door step for my post man to pickup - 1) we have an inconsistent postman and 2) we live on a busy street so I'd be afraid anyone walking by could just give themself a nice holiday treat, kwim?

I try to combine trips to the PO as well. I could tech go everyday, but that's just not in the schedule and it's not super eco-friendly either. Often times I'm lucky and DH can drop a package off on his way to work though!

:goodvibes:

hippydippymama
12-16-2008, 12:25 AM
I try to ship twice a week but it doesn't always happen. It takes me several hours to get my items to the PO, because I have to bundle up two kids, walk to the library to print my shipping labels, package up my items there, then walk to the PO clear on the other side of town, drop off my items, and then walk home. It's an all-day endeavor, and needless to say, if the weather is bad then it gets put off. I try not to make people wait more than a few days though, and if I do I let them know I wasn't able to get to the PO because it was too windy/rainy/bitterly cold.

Not everyone has the luxury of just printing out a label and sticking the package in their mailbox. My printer no longer prints my PP labels for some reason, and we don't have an outgoing mailbox at all. However, anything more than a few days delay between payment and shipping needs to be explained by the seller, it's just common courtesy.

burnsis
12-16-2008, 12:32 AM
If I know I won't be able to ship within 48 hours, I won't accept payment. I will ask them to hold off until I am available to ship.....I don't like holding money if for some reason I can't get it out quickly.

Communication is key though. If you can't ship quick, tell me before I pay, or if something comes up after the fact, drop me a line to let me know.

Wanderlust
12-16-2008, 02:24 AM
1-2 days. When the buyer pays, I let them know which day I plan to ship.

If for some reason I can't, like I forgot the military post office was closed that day:blush: I immediately PM to let them know the next day I'll ship.

Jenny Lynne
12-16-2008, 04:53 AM
As a personal seller on FSOT, next day. As a WAHM, my store policies state within 7 days. We very often beat that, but there are times when we miss the mark. I try to communicate the delay with the buyer if possible and always respond to e-mails we may get from customers asking about their order status.

BuggaBuggaBoutique
12-16-2008, 07:00 AM
FSOT and Instock orders from my website I try and get out within 24 hours, but no later than 48 max.

With custom orders on bows, i try to take 3 - 4 days MAX to make them and ship and with diapers i try to take 5-7 days max to make and ship.

I have had 1 or 2 times when something came up and it was more, but i communicate that with the buyer and do my best to get it out fast.

madmax
12-16-2008, 07:07 AM
I ship next day almost always. If something is bought early enough it is shipped that day. There has been a few times it took a few days but those are countable on one hand and were due to my dd being in an accident. However when I am giving something away for free (no money exchanged and not a trade), I can take a few days, because honestly I don't remember unless I package it up right then.

kimb96
12-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Generally anywhere from 1-4 days. I do not go to the post office every day. I am always upfront about when I will ship and I follow through. I don't think it's a big deal to not run out the door and ship immediately. I'm upfront about my shipping times. Likewise I don't get bent out of shape if someone waits 3 days to ship my stuff. I did a trade recently on another board where the mama told me she couldnt ship for 10 days or so. She had to wait until she got paid. Not a big deal as along as I know upfront.

mama2jack
12-16-2008, 07:21 AM
I ship ASAP. Usually the day of purchase or the next.

StayAtHomeMama
12-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Mine typically ship within 1-2 days... and those are customs! If it's something ready to ship already, same day. I've had 3 items take over 2 weeks to ship. Two I ended up getting refunds for, the other should be here today. I also have one that should be here today that took about a week to ship... All but one was listed to ship within 1-3 days Grr

keonli
12-16-2008, 08:03 AM
I try to ship as soon as payment is received, but, given the case I had to deal with the other day, on a Saturday, when my carrier didn't pick up the items near my mailbox even tho I had requested a pick up and left a note, I had to delay my shipping for 3 days and felt so bad. But I def. think a week is way too long to ship something.

ForCryingOutLoud
12-16-2008, 08:07 AM
no later than 48 hours.
Except if it is to Canada, in this cases I have to go to post office.
:exactly:

autumn_fading
12-16-2008, 10:04 AM
My personal and business policies are to ship in-stock items within 3 business days. I work out of the home, so it can get a little tricky. If I get an order on, say, Monday night and don't see it until Tuesday morning, then I have to wait until I get home Tuesday night to print out the shipping label and package the item, and then it goes out on Wednesday. I always try to ship as soon as possible, but sometimes it just take a couple of days.

Miles
12-16-2008, 10:44 AM
If I need to ship anything I get it out within 1-2 days. If I need to get a envelope for it then I go that day or the next day to get it and out the package goes. I HATE waiting for my stuff at the po and Im sure others dont like it either which is why I dont wait to ship.

ShamroxGirl
12-16-2008, 01:25 PM
Within 48 hours unless it's a weekend or there's other circumstances and then I let the buyer know. I just sold some items (one on Saturday and one on Sunday) and they both went out ASAP Monday morning with the post!

Mockeh
12-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I usually ship next day. I always let the buyer know when I'm shipping though.

*Aimee*
12-16-2008, 06:28 PM
I dont have a printer so I always ha e to go to the post office. AND I always have to take a 2 yr old and an 8 month old. I mostly ship within 24 hours. I especially love shipping on Sat. because I can leave my boys at home. If I'm selling a bunch of stuff, I'll say that I'm shipping on like Tuesdays and Fridays. Either way everyone knows when I'm shipping.

Emmett's Mommy
12-16-2008, 06:33 PM
I said 1-2 days, usually that day if early enough, or the next day...unless it's Sunday the next day. I hate waiting for packages, and I know everyone else probably does too!

aiyana4969
12-16-2008, 06:48 PM
i actually did other because it varies. normally 24 hrs -2 days, on really crazy occasions it can take a while (ie Black friday, I had so much going out, multiple orders by the same people due to free ship, than it took a while to get it all straight)

S'te
12-17-2008, 12:05 AM
If it's something that I've listed that's already made or something that I'm selling used, it's packaged and dropped in the blue box the same day.

If it's a custom item then I ship within 3 days since I have to make the item.

With the Remember Me Pillows it can be a little hard to gauge since I can't start on them until I receive a photograph to use. Once I receive the photograph then I will ship i no more than 3-5 days since it's a process to print the photo on the fabric, set the ink, and sew the pillow. I try to get them done and out within a day or two of receiving the photo though

eightdandelions
12-17-2008, 12:43 AM
If it takes me longer than 48 hrs, I refund the shipping cost. (Although for the month of Dec I'm only shipping 3x a week, since I have to get to the PO to ship)

Sorry mama... bad luck for you to run into so many sloppy FSOTers in one go! Ask if they'll split the shipping cost with you.

momof2jmwjaw
12-17-2008, 09:29 AM
I ship same day or the next business day. I think it is rude to wait unless you cannot get to the PO. I know things come up but that should be communicated to the other person. I think that's what bothers me the most is not being told it will take longer. I know how you feel. I have been doing a ton of trades right now and it's taking forever to get my packages and they have already recieved theirs. I hope you get yours soon.

mrslunar
12-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Honestly? I think many mamas on this board are spoiled about shipping.

:bolt:

I know I'm the minority, but it's just diapers. If you NEED NEED NEED it that bad, then you need to make that clear and offer to pay for overnight shipping or something. The reality is that none of us or our babies will die without a brand new GM, ykwim?

I tend to ship by day 4. This is because often I have a listing up and I try to make as few trips to the PO as possible. I will usually wait a day or two to see if anything else sells and I can make one trip with multiple packages.

I know many moms here ship within a day and that's awesome. If that's possible for you, great. And it's VERY nice. And I try to do it myself. I do. But...I also think that is a luxury that we all have gotten accustomed to here on DS. When I buy diapers from online shops or Amazon or ebay or whatever, sometimes things don't ship for 5 or 6 days. I don't really care. And since THEY are the professionals, I use them as the standard. I ordered all my Christmas gifts on Amazon and I got about a dozen packaged over the course of two weeks. I recently placed an order at Kellys Closet and it took a good couple of weeks to get to me as well. I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

So............I usually cut moms slack if they don't ship right away. I don't really care. I think a week is a reasonable amount of time. Things come up, life happens, and I wouldn't want to hold a mama to a different standard than I hold myself to. Especially when I buy from someone here who has a lot of things up for sale, it makes sense that maybe she'd want to save her gas/time as well.

That said, if you can't be prepared to ship within a week, I think you need to hold your sale until you CAN, or make it clear in your listing when you can ship.

No rocks please! :lostit:

zandeamom
12-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Most times I'm able to ship within 24 hrs of payment. I have to take everything to the PO also. I live right next door to work and the PO is right across the street from work. (Ah the convenience of small town living) It's usually pretty easy for me to get to the PO.

~Laura~
12-17-2008, 05:58 PM
I try to ship the same day.
My problem with shipping is that our town doesn't even have rural route mail, everyone just has a PO Box. That means no PO worker to stop by, I have to take the package to the PO even when I print with PP. Also, the PO is only open 9-5 (closed noon to one though) M-F, not open at all on the weekends, so even if I have a package ready to go, it may not get shipped right away.

momtoAsher&Levi
12-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I always ship with 48 hours at the latest. I have a postal scale from when I used to sell on ebay so I use that and paypal shipping. Then I just give it to my mailman. He laughs at me because I have chased him down the street to give him packages when I've missed him, lol.

togg_mama
12-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Honestly? I think many mamas on this board are spoiled about shipping.

:bolt:

I know I'm the minority, but it's just diapers. If you NEED NEED NEED it that bad, then you need to make that clear and offer to pay for overnight shipping or something. The reality is that none of us or our babies will die without a brand new GM, ykwim?

I tend to ship by day 4. This is because often I have a listing up and I try to make as few trips to the PO as possible. I will usually wait a day or two to see if anything else sells and I can make one trip with multiple packages.

I know many moms here ship within a day and that's awesome. If that's possible for you, great. And it's VERY nice. And I try to do it myself. I do. But...I also think that is a luxury that we all have gotten accustomed to here on DS. When I buy diapers from online shops or Amazon or ebay or whatever, sometimes things don't ship for 5 or 6 days. I don't really care. And since THEY are the professionals, I use them as the standard. I ordered all my Christmas gifts on Amazon and I got about a dozen packaged over the course of two weeks. I recently placed an order at Kellys Closet and it took a good couple of weeks to get to me as well. I really don't think it's that big of a deal.

So............I usually cut moms slack if they don't ship right away. I don't really care. I think a week is a reasonable amount of time. Things come up, life happens, and I wouldn't want to hold a mama to a different standard than I hold myself to. Especially when I buy from someone here who has a lot of things up for sale, it makes sense that maybe she'd want to save her gas/time as well.

That said, if you can't be prepared to ship within a week, I think you need to hold your sale until you CAN, or make it clear in your listing when you can ship.

No rocks please! :lostit:

This is all perfectly reasonable... but it needs to be stated up front in the FSOT post if shipping is going to be longer than your payment deadline. :2cents:

Most people don't care as long as they are in the know before money changes hands, kwim?

LilOutlaws
12-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Unless it's dryer balls or wood items (letters, etc.) it goes out almost always within 24hrs (excluding wknds/holidays). If I get an order in the morning, I can usually get it out the same day - my PO closes at 3 so if I can get it done and to the PO by then, it goes out immediately.

Mayghan
12-20-2008, 06:45 AM
I try to ship within 1-2 days but we have to go to the PO everytime, lately between snow storms, finals for DH and I and the kids being sick Its been more like 3-4 days. I always send a message to the buyer to let them know what day it sent out though!