PDA

View Full Version : I need a cell phone :)

daisy0306
12-23-2008, 05:15 PM
HI mamas,

I need a cell phone with just a basic, cheap plan. I won't be using it very often, maybe once a week? I Just need something to have with me so I can leave the house and have DF or a babysitter still be able to contact me.

What company do you use?

lilsonicfan
12-23-2008, 07:33 PM
I use Rogers, but I use my phone all the time so my plan isn't very basic. You could consider looking into two types of options: 1) monthly, get a cheap plan with not many features. 2) pay-as-you-go. One of the cheapest for a monthly plan is Fido, as they have recently eliminated system access fees. I think their most basic plan is $15/month. Other companies have recently sprung up like Koodo (uses the Telus network). For pay-as-you-go, I think the best deal out there is actually from 7-11. I think it also uses the Telus/Bell network. It's called Speakout Wireless. You can load up $100 worth of airtime and the minutes you get will last you up to a year. The downside to pay-as-you-go is that the per-minute price is usually more expensive, but the nice thing is, no real commitment, and if you hardly use it anyway, it won't be that bad in terms of price.

cheygirl
12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
I second the recommendation for 7-11 Speakout. I cancelled my telus contract cuz I was paying around $50/month for occasional use, which wasn't really making much sense to me. Now, with 7-11 I buy $100 worth of airtime and use it up in about 5 months. THe minutes don't expire for a year, which I really like (in the telus prepaid system, your minutes expire in a month). The phones aren't very fancy but if that isn't important to you, I'd definitely recommend speakout.

CandiceW
12-30-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm w/ bell right now and I think I have like another year and a 1/2 with my contract.. when it is up I will probably go with Koodo.. I don't use my phone all that much and I hate paying so much for it.. and Koodo has no contract.

angel0123
12-30-2008, 03:57 PM
my parents use rogers pay as you go and get a 100$ card once a year. Minutes work out to be .30

I have a contract with Telus... but I use if for business. I just got a new blackeberry... LOVE IT!

Megazell's Chick
12-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Another good system is TRACFONE. No contracts, no bells and whistles phones though. But a great choice if you just need it for emergencies and basic calling usage.

meghan.
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm with Telus. I pay more per month but my needs are higher (we got rid of our landline) but for $28.25 (taxes and fees included) you can get 200 day minutes, evenings & weekends (start at 6pm) and voicemail.
Ask for the EPP (or $17.30) plan. The reps will know. :thumbsup:

daisy0306
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
my parents use rogers pay as you go and get a 100$ card once a year. Minutes work out to be .30

I have a contract with Telus... but I use if for business. I just got a new blackeberry... LOVE IT!

I'm w/ bell right now and I think I have like another year and a 1/2 with my contract.. when it is up I will probably go with Koodo.. I don't use my phone all that much and I hate paying so much for it.. and Koodo has no contract.

We had Bell before, major CS issues. I'll check out Koodo

I use Rogers, but I use my phone all the time so my plan isn't very basic. You could consider looking into two types of options: 1) monthly, get a cheap plan with not many features. 2) pay-as-you-go. One of the cheapest for a monthly plan is Fido, as they have recently eliminated system access fees. I think their most basic plan is $15/month. Other companies have recently sprung up like Koodo (uses the Telus network). For pay-as-you-go, I think the best deal out there is actually from 7-11. I think it also uses the Telus/Bell network. It's called Speakout Wireless. You can load up $100 worth of airtime and the minutes you get will last you up to a year. The downside to pay-as-you-go is that the per-minute price is usually more expensive, but the nice thing is, no real commitment, and if you hardly use it anyway, it won't be that bad in terms of price.

I went online and bought one from Rogers. It's been three weeks and I have NO PHONE :headscratch: :banghead: So I tried to call and see WTF is going on, and ALL the message boxes are full :lostit: So I won't be using that company.

Liddle1
01-27-2009, 03:09 PM
don't go with rogers or fido!! i was with them and they have HORRIBLE customer service and moderate cell coverage. my phone was stolen and they charged me $200 to cancel my contract and signed me up on a brand new contract starting from the date I ordered the new phone and gave me a new phone number. they originally told me the $200 was just a deposit so they outright LIED to me!!!

anyway, I am with telus prepaid now. good coverage, decent customer service (i won't say they're GREAT because it took them 3 months to authorize DH's credit card for my phone and I was 6 months preggo at the time which was the reason I GOT the phone. lucky for them I was overdue lol)

daisy0306
01-27-2009, 03:19 PM
don't go with rogers or fido!! i was with them and they have HORRIBLE customer service and moderate cell coverage. my phone was stolen and they charged me $200 to cancel my contract and signed me up on a brand new contract starting from the date I ordered the new phone and gave me a new phone number. they originally told me the $200 was just a deposit so they outright LIED to me!!!

anyway, I am with telus prepaid now. good coverage, decent customer service (i won't say they're GREAT because it took them 3 months to authorize DH's credit card for my phone and I was 6 months preggo at the time which was the reason I GOT the phone. lucky for them I was overdue lol)

thank you :)