PDA

View Full Version : How do I make this work?

turtle2who
12-24-2008, 02:10 PM
I am on a year's leave of absence from work right now. It is looking like I will have to go back next fall (I am a teacher.) My first concern is finding the right care situation for my son who will be 4 then. My ideal would be to get him into a Montessori program about 20 minutes from where I work. He could either go 1/2 day or full day. Either way I would need someone to pick him up because I couldn't get there in time- the latest they go is 3:25.

I know there must be working moms out there with interesting daycare situations who might have some insight on this. Does anyone have a child that goes to preschool in one place and then afternoon daycare somewhere else? That would be ideal to me- to put him in preschool for the morning and have someone pick him up and bring him to their house for lunch, rest time and play time before I pick him up. Preferably a SAHM or daycare provider.

If that is impossible to find, then I could put him in preschool all day until 3:25 but I still need to find someone to pick him up for me at 3:25 every day. The earliest I could get to him would be 3:35 and that would be on a good day- totally rushing- hoping I don't get stuck behind a bus, etc.

Where would I even find someone like this? I'm afraid if I put an ad in the paper or something I would get all kinds of cuckoos. And is it crazy to let someone else drive my child? Argh. I am stressing about this. I have to apply for the Montessori now for next fall.

Thanks for reading this far :goodvibes:

dollbabysmom
12-25-2008, 08:02 PM
You can find an in-home provider who will take and pick up from pre-school. My daycare provider does that for several of the kids she cares for during the week. Good luck!

turtle2who
12-25-2008, 09:42 PM
That is good to know. So you didn't look for your's specifically for that reason? I don't know where to start looking.

I guess I could call licensed providers near the school and maybe even put an ad in a local paper looking for someone licensed. I just couldn't imagine someone with a bunch of kids carting them all out in the car to pick up one kid.

frogandtoad
12-26-2008, 12:09 AM
I have had all kinds of not-so-good situations searching for the right childcare (and many excellent providers too). In my situation I am also extremely particular about the kind of care I want for my children ... that being said I have a list of "non-negotiables" or deal breakers.

Figure out what it is you are looking for, decide what you're willing to give on (like if you prefer no TV but the provider may have Disney movies occasionally or what not), then go from there. I would recommend interviewing the provider and have questions prepared (there are several you can google a list or come up with your own). Most licensed providers will have a handbook with their policies that you can look over.

For me, I put an ad on Craigslist, told everyone I knew I was looking for a sitter. I try to be very specific in my ad so I don't get all kinds of weirdos - I also have a list of interview questions once I decide to meet with a potential provider.

This year I've gone through 3 sitters since September trying to find the right fit. Now I have a great gal who I love and is a good fit, but she will be getting more hours at her other job after the new year and I have already started looking for a new provider even though I won't need anyone until April (I'll be on maternity leave from Feb-Apr).

If there is a local college or university you could try putting up posters. I have a friend who drives DS2 home from Preschool 3 days/wk for me.

It can be done, it may just take some planning on your part.

turtle2who
12-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks so much for sharing that info. I have looked for care in the past and I had good care and not so good. I also am very picky about the kind of care I want for my child which makes it very hard. I think I will be less choosy when I know ds is in Montessori preschool every morning and just spending a few hours in the afternoon at daycare. I will be mostly looking for healthy snacks, rest time in the afternoon, outdoor play every day when possible (very hard to find here in the winter) and NO TV. And I want to be able to pack ds his lunch.

frogandtoad
12-26-2008, 02:19 PM
My ODS is in school but we pack his lunch every day because of some diet restrictions (food allergies). He is aware that his health will suffer if he doesn't eat well so it's not a big issue.

I would think if you find a neighborhood mom (or someone conveniently close to work or whatever), you can find what you're looking for. Honestly if you just have the 1 child to find care for I'm guessing it will be easier. (I have 4, well 3 and one on the way - I've already told DH he may need to prepare himself to help care for LO#4 in April when my leave is up because my standards for infant care are high.)

It almost seems if you could find a carpool/childcare situation for the 30 to 60 minute overlap when the Montessori lets out and you get released from work this would be your "most convenient" route. Will the school have an open house/parent orientation? Maybe you could let them know you're looking for another family to help with carpooling at the end of the day and they could help put you in touch with another family at the school. At my son's preschool many families carpool.

turtle2who
12-26-2008, 07:16 PM
My ODS is in school but we pack his lunch every day because of some diet restrictions (food allergies). He is aware that his health will suffer if he doesn't eat well so it's not a big issue.

I would think if you find a neighborhood mom (or someone conveniently close to work or whatever), you can find what you're looking for. Honestly if you just have the 1 child to find care for I'm guessing it will be easier. (I have 4, well 3 and one on the way - I've already told DH he may need to prepare himself to help care for LO#4 in April when my leave is up because my standards for infant care are high.)

It almost seems if you could find a carpool/childcare situation for the 30 to 60 minute overlap when the Montessori lets out and you get released from work this would be your "most convenient" route. Will the school have an open house/parent orientation? Maybe you could let them know you're looking for another family to help with carpooling at the end of the day and they could help put you in touch with another family at the school. At my son's preschool many families carpool.

Actually a friend of mine who used to be a Montessori teacher said the same thing. To get in touch with other parents at the school and see if we could do some kind of carpooling or trade or something.

My only problem is that when I apply I have to tell them what program I would like to get him in full day or half day (am or pm). But that is very dependent on what kind of support I can get. I'd much rather he only went there 1/2 day mornings but if I can't find care for 1/2 day afternoons with pick up from daycare then I'd like full days because then I could try to find someone to sit with him for a few minutes until I can get there- or someone to pick him up and bring him to me- or whatever. It's just such a long time in the future (next fall) that it is hard to figure all the details out in advance! argh.

Like I could start looking for a daycare situation now, since a lot of people may know if they will have an opening in the fall- but I don't even know what kind of care I would need yet! LOL Full time- if he doesn't get into Montessori- half day mornings? Half day afternoons?

The other option was to have dh stay home with him until noon then drop him at preschool. But I'd still need someone to pick up at 3:25. And my standards are a little too high to leave him with dh for many hours every day! The TV will be on all morning, and dh will be busy in his office trying to get work done, talk to customers, etc. He will get frustrated when he is interrupted for the nth time by ds and will probably not be very nice about it at times. It's one thing for that to happen now and then but quite another for it to be a planned regular thing! So although that will save us money and might help me out with the logistics of all this- I'd really rather not do it. It's not the best care for my ds and will not prepare him to do his best listening and working in preschool.

I guess I have to start the process by sending in the application. Then just have faith that everything will work out. Thanks for helping me think this through!
:goodvibes: