PDA

View Full Version : Quad Screen

Mommameyer00
01-20-2009, 08:36 PM
I was curious how many ladies, had the quad screen come out +. We recently had our quad screen come out + for the baby being at risk for Down's. I am told their is false positives the majority of time and doing research just curious how many on the board had this happen to them?

We see the high risk OB on the 26th....I know the next steps are a level 2 ultrasound then maybe a amino depending on the situation.

ariandsofiesmom
01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
I had the quad screen and mine too came out postive (1 in 199)...My doc wanted to immediately do an amnio but I declined and just did a level 2 us...She was (and is) perfectly healthy and no DS. She had NO genetic markers and each time I went back (2 US), the doc lowered the risk! I would of got the amnio is she had any of the markers...just for the yes or no answer. Good luck to you!

I know that I am fairly new to the site, but if you have any questions, let me know!

cakeums
01-22-2009, 06:37 AM
How high did your odds come back compared to the normal risk of someone your age? Since it's just a screening test and not a diagnostic, I'd have a Level II u/s and then only have an amnio if there are 2-3 "soft" markers or 1 "hard" marker. The only reason I would have an amnio would be to prepare myself for raising a child with a genetic issue.

danimdel
01-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Mine came back positive and baby is fine. I will never get the quad marker again :) I didn't know much about it and the MW acted like it's no big deal and told me just to get it because it doesn't hurt anything. They never called to tell me the results and at my next appt happens to mention it was positive and moves on! I was furious that a) no one told me b) acted like it was just an extra piece of info and c) couldn't tell me anything about what it meant, including my odds. She said if I wanted any info about we had to go to a genetic counselor, which we did. I did end up getting an amnio because by the time I found out, I was 23 weeks which is really very late to do the amnio safely and if I would have waited to schedule the US it would have been to late for the amnio. I wish I would have had more time to think it through to make my decision. It worked out, the amnio was not bad, I had no side effects and could relax the rest of my pregnancy. DD is 1, happy and healthy now! Sorry for the rant, I' still bitter!

Gizmo516
01-22-2009, 10:44 AM
False positives are REALLY common with the quad screen. That's actually why a lot of folks are doing the nuchal transluceny/ulrascreen now, FWIW. The next steps are really up to you, the level II ultrasound will see if there are any soft or hard "markers" for Downs, although that can only increase or decreases your risk, not tell you for sure. And amnio would tell you for sure, but there are more risks with that. A lot of people I know wouldn't change their plans for the pregnancy so they skip the amnio, etc. Some wouldn't change anything but they would like to plan. Others would terminate for certain chromosomal abnormalities...it's kind of a personal decision, I think...

-Rach

ThreeBunniesMoma
01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
False positives are VERY common with the Quad Screen/AFP test. I found all this out after I was pregnant with my first and came back with a positive result. It was followed up with a level II u/s which revealed nothing out of the ordinary. She is a perfectly healthy 7 1/2 year old. After that I did a lot of research on the test and have since declined it with my subsiquent pregnancies.:thumbsup:

Mommameyer00
01-22-2009, 02:54 PM
How high did your odds come back compared to the normal risk of someone your age? Since it's just a screening test and not a diagnostic, I'd have a Level II u/s and then only have an amnio if there are 2-3 "soft" markers or 1 "hard" marker. The only reason I would have an amnio would be to prepare myself for raising a child with a genetic issue.

That is my exact question as well about my odds now that I see alot of people knowing. If my OB mentioned it, I didn't zone in on it due to all the infomation being given at once. I do remember a few numbers but it was like 1 in 64 then 1 in 32 so I am not sure now if that was the number or something else I wish I knew! We go on Monday the 26th to the high risk, so I am sure I will get a ton of more infomation as well as the level 2 u/s. Depending on how the u/s goes, then we will go with a amnio. I want to be fully prepared as possible for whatever is in store.

Thank you ladies for all the support. I appericate it more than you know. :hugs:

Layna
01-22-2009, 03:27 PM
I talked to my Dr. about it, because I didn't want the test done.
She told me she doesn't do it anyways, unless somebody really wants it done.
Her reason was because when she was pregnant with her first son, he tested + for downs, so they prepared for a downs baby. He was born perfectly fine, no downs whatsoever. With her second son, she tested again.. this time - .
He was born and has downs. Therefore, she prefers not to do it unless you would terminate because of a +.

Layna
01-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Oh and my best friends baby tested + too. She had all the testing done and he was actually -. Had she known she had a choice in doing the testing, she wouldn't have done it.

Nanner99
01-22-2009, 06:36 PM
A friend of mine had a postive and then her OB told her that it looked like it from the US- but the baby was born perfectly fine :thumbsup:

I am not doing the Quad screen with this baby b/c of this. My OB's never gave me the option, but my midwife recommended against it b/c of all the false positives.