PDA

View Full Version : Did you teach your little boy to use tissue after a pee pee?

mzweez
01-21-2009, 11:44 AM
My sister in law is teaching my nephew to dab his penis dry with tissue. I had never thought about this before because we're a long way from potty training.

But is this the usual way to teach boys? I don't mean to sound stupid, but I seriously don't know. Thanks

SaraG
01-21-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't have a son, but if I did, I would definitely teach him to do that! :) I think it's a wonderful idea. Growing up with brothers, there were ALWAYS drips and it was disgusting. I think it's great :) (I didn't vote, because I only have girls)

houseplantgirl
01-21-2009, 12:44 PM
I have a 10 yr old son, and I didn't teach him that...never even thought about it---and to be honest, my hubby did most of the *teaching* by just letting our son(s) watch HIM pee.....this is interesting!

smblake
01-21-2009, 03:04 PM
we just kind of taught our ds to give it a little shake when he's done, this gets the drips out and no mess :thumbsup:

this_mel_rocks
01-21-2009, 03:05 PM
we just kind of taught our ds to give it a little shake when he's done, this gets the drips out and no mess :thumbsup:

This is also how we are teaching out son now.

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
01-21-2009, 03:09 PM
yes, we taught ds to do this and will be teaching ds2 also.:thumbsup:

HeatherlovesCDs
01-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Yup. I think the reason the men's bathrooms smell so much like urine and most women's are much better is because of the "drips." My DH does the same too. :thumbsup:

MomToMyMonkeys
01-21-2009, 04:33 PM
We have actually taught our son both. When he was first learning I showed him how to take 1 square of toilet paper and dab it dry, but my husband pointed out that there is not always toilet paper in the men's bathrooms in public, so he also taught him how to shake. I prefer for him to use paper at home because then our bathrooms don't smell like a urinal!

HeatherlovesCDs
01-21-2009, 04:58 PM
We have actually taught our son both. When he was first learning I showed him how to take 1 square of toilet paper and dab it dry, but my husband pointed out that there is not always toilet paper in the men's bathrooms in public, so he also taught him how to shake. I prefer for him to use paper at home because then our bathrooms don't smell like a urinal!

Interesting point. I never thought of that. To me that's :yuck: and explains a lot.

Moog
01-21-2009, 05:45 PM
There's also sometimes need for paper when a shake just doesn't cut it for some reason. There's a reason I've seen stand up comedians say there's always a drip left to go down your trouser leg. Sometimes you need to dab, so better introduce them to the idea early so they don't think they're abnormal to need to imo :)

tsfairy
01-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Hmm never thought about it but it makes sense. DH and I both taught our boys to give a little shake at the end but true that there's sometimes a little drip leftover.

spookykitty
01-27-2009, 06:21 PM
this is interesting... we use cloth wipes and I noticed that sometimes ds would use a wipe after peeing. No one showed him to do this. I thought he was just copying me and dd, and that it was somthing that boys didn't really do, but it sounds like perhaps he does need to use a wipe sometimes!

GandH'sMom
01-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Hmmm, I voted no but it's interesting to hear that some people do. We just always told him to shake!

jewels30
01-29-2009, 10:42 PM
We do but that;s because he sits to pee and gets it all over his inner leg too, even when he points it down. ;)

hippydippymama
01-29-2009, 11:22 PM
No, we just taught him to shake.

tonewinwy
01-30-2009, 03:13 AM
On the rare occasions my Nephew goes pee pee in the potty he always has to have some toliet paper afterwards. His Dad does the same thing and that's where my Nephew got it from.

elioraimmanuel
01-30-2009, 04:10 AM
That's how DH does it...and so does our son!

littlemamasdiapers
02-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Wow, I never thought about this, I have a newborn and its nice to read what everyones thoughts are on this

Zabibaby
02-01-2009, 09:14 PM
:hide: Dont say anything ....pleeease.....:hide: I taught my sons to pee sitting down just like girls....why?? because is not fair for me and my dd (the only girsl in th house) to come to the bathroom and see drippings all over the lid...not nice. My DH does this too...he says is a courtesy if you share a bathroom with a woman...but that is just us...ok back under the chair.... :hide:

Emmaleigh3699
02-01-2009, 09:25 PM
being a single mom, I couldn't exactly teach Cyrus how to stand up and pee or how to shake it for that matter. At 3, shake it turned into "lets pee on the walls!!!" soo there went THAT idea :p

His only peepee role model was ME so he started out sitting to pee and wiping.

Now at 5 he stands and shakes and usually doesn't pee on the seat - which is way better than most grown men!!! lol

I had a friend a few years ago that kept homemade wipes with her for both of her kids to use in public restrooms because they both were taught to wipe with wet wipes after a pee :) the son was 8 or so and the daughter was 4ish (she called her Kitten, it was too cute)

KobeeJacknGradysMama
02-02-2009, 04:50 AM
My 7 yo pees sitting down he says it just works for him...he says he doesn't have to worry if he goes #1 or #2 he's just always sitting so i guess it's easier for him.....on the idea of using toilet paper, well i have a hard enough time getting him to wipe when he goes #2 let alone #1 so that's out of the question and my 3 yo is so idependant that even if i told him to wipe he would say NO i can do it myself! so we just told him to shake.

gypsipixie
02-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I did teach my (now 7 yr old) son to do "blot" after peeing, however after I met my now husband he informed me (my son was 4 when we met and HAD to wipe when dh helped him in the mens room) that not only is it "girly", they do not even have tp near a urinal in public mens rooms and that my son may be looked at as odd if he were to go get paper at school or other places. Not to mention being seen by peers patting his penis after peeing. I had no idea, but do agree that hygeine is important, I taught him to clean well at bath time and wipe up messes at home but that it is ok not to pat dry in public and shaking is fine.

macs'mama
02-05-2009, 01:23 PM
I did teach my (now 7 yr old) son to do "blot" after peeing, however after I met my now husband he informed me (my son was 4 when we met and HAD to wipe when dh helped him in the mens room) that not only is it "girly", they do not even have tp near a urinal in public mens rooms and that my son may be looked at as odd if he were to go get paper at school or other places. Not to mention being seen by peers patting his penis after peeing. I had no idea, but do agree that hygeine is important, I taught him to clean well at bath time and wipe up messes at home but that it is ok not to pat dry in public and shaking is fine.

We're kind of here too. I taught DS how to pee when DH was deployed and when DH got home, I got a lecture about DS getting made fun of. We're still trying to undo the damage I caused :). Alex also takes his pants down to his ankles to pee, and DH laughs at me for not showing him he coud do it without taking his pants down that far. but when we started he was sitting on the potty and taking his pants all the way OFF, so we're improving. It is so hard knowing to do with boys. I wish I would have been able to come here and ask all questions before we started.

bellydancer1973
02-05-2009, 01:39 PM
We started teaching him to sit while using the potty, so I taught him to wipe. Less mess for everybody that way. I kinda wish he was still sitting and wiping. There are always drips on the toilet/floor now. :blush:

vintagegyrl
02-10-2009, 08:50 PM
We do the "shake shake" - definitely helps to get Daddy involved in the teaching.

mommyz
02-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Yes here.

Prettylocks
02-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Wow. I have never heard of doing that. We taught our boys to pee standing up and shake shake. They PTd early and super easy.

eta: They never leave drips on the potty. They wipe the lid if they get drips on it, but that rarely happens.

ommelissa
02-10-2009, 08:59 PM
We do a tap, tap, tap.

Rebeldream
02-10-2009, 09:05 PM
All of thee above. LOL!

We are teaching him both sitting down and standing, to shake and to dab. All depending on the situation. We're also teaching him to check for drips on the toilet seat or down the front of the toilet and wipe them away. And to put the seat down.

When I was a teenager we had a friend and her two young boys stay with us for a few months and every.single.time I used the bathroom there were pee drops on the seat. I gave up complaining to my mom or theirs and read them both the riot act myself. I swear I won't have my boy being that inconsiderate. Blech!

heathertup
02-12-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm glad we have only one girl! I asked my husband this question - if he ever used a tissue to "wipe" and he looked at me like I was from Mars!

Ami in Deutschland
02-15-2009, 11:43 AM
Isn't getting to use the toilet paper a reward for peeing in the potty? DS1 seems to think so.

llydia
02-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Sounds kind of silly, husband agrees. I have more of a problem with my five year old paying attention to where he pees! If he just dripped, I think I might be grateful.... You know how they say don't eat and run? Well, it applies to things other than just eating...LOL:banghead:

xcruzme
02-22-2009, 05:12 PM
we taught our older ds to dab a little bit of tp when he's done just for the sake of trying to keep the toilet a bit cleaner without having "drip" issues. i've also taught him to put the seat down when he's done. i clean the bathrooms, and there's nothing like cleaning up pee drips off the toilet. :yuck: