PDA

View Full Version : Do you prewash your fabric before sewing & selling??

Bare Bottom Gear
05-17-2006, 11:05 AM
OK, I just started making wipes to sell. Another mama and I were talking about pre-washing the fabric before cutting/sewing/selling it.

Do you prewash before making dipes, wipes etc?

Do you prewash before making clothing and other items?

Bare Bottom Gear
05-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks for taking the time to answer. Wondered if I needed to start this in the WAHM section....LOL

beenwaitingalongtime
05-18-2006, 02:27 AM
Definitely pre-shrink! Wash and dry on hot, hot, hot! I thought I'd save myself some cutting by buying 7" lengths of flannel for my 7x7" wipes, then after washing, it's more like 6.5" Now I'm torn over making not-quite-7x7" or buying new fabric and defeating the whole purpose of making my own wipes to save money. :banghead: The terry and suedecloth I'm backing the flannel w/ didn't shrink at all, so if either of them were backed to the flannel, then washed in hot (as CDs and wipes usually are) they'd have ended up 2 diff. sizes.

I was in my sewing class tonight all with my pattern and fabric all cut out for an outfit I'm making DD for 4th of July, when I realized I hadn't preshrunk it. My choices were to start all over after preshrinking, or just wash the outfit on cold as long as I want it to stay the same size. I happen to wash all of my clothes on cold AND the size is a bit larger than DD is, so I went ahead and took my chances (not to mention I have to stay up in the middle of the night to DO the cutting and patterning, so the time's precious) BUT wipes are always washed in hot, with CDs, so they're not as safe. 100% cotton (i.e. wovens and flannels) WILL shrink at least a bit.

ewebabymama
05-18-2006, 07:33 AM
As soon as I get my fabric in I throw it in the washer on hot! I don't use detergent at all because some of my customers may be allergic to scents. So I wash with plain hot water and then dry on high. No matter what I am making I preshrink my stuff :)

~Woollybottoms Mama~
05-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Always, always preshrink all fabrics. Especially if you are making wipes out of 2 materials. With the first washing, 1 fabric may have different shrinkage than the others, causing funky looking wipes after the first wash :cry: As soon as I get new fabric, it goes straight into the washer and washed by itself on hot with just a bit of all free & clear detergent and then dried on hot. Then I don't have to try & remember if that has already been done when I start a project.

Shaineinok
05-18-2006, 04:01 PM
I always preshrink and prewash on hot and dry on hot just to be safe.

Shannon
05-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Opps I voted NO...but I remember I DID wash my hemp and sherpa first. I haven't washed my fleece and PUL though. I also don't wash my flannel first...but I'm not making to sale right now...just for myself.

mommato2
05-18-2006, 06:45 PM
I ALWAYS ALWAYS wash and dry on hot before doing anything with my fabric, that way I know I'm safe when I start something, just like another mama on here said.

mommy2zander
05-18-2006, 07:47 PM
I always prewash!! Otherwise, as you said, one side may shrink more or in a different direction then another!! Hot wash & dry every time!! :D

& to keep from having any waste, I leave the fabric in one big peice until its washed/tried & ready to cut! It's sorta cumbersome at times, but I'm too cheap to have waste!! :giggle:

Good luck with your business!! :D