PDA

View Full Version : canadian stores selling in us funds.

Liddle1
03-11-2009, 11:10 AM
does this annoy anyone else?? I thought I found a great deal on some bumgenius diapers, then when I went to check out on the side of the invoice it said "all prices are in USD". UH WHAT?? that doubles the price pretty much.

You're a canadian store, how about selling in canadian funds, EH? :canada:

ash_ley
03-11-2009, 11:36 AM
lol yeah, it's pretty damn annoying.
i like parentingbynature.com

kaimon
03-11-2009, 11:45 AM
Yes it annoys the heck out of me!!

I ordered something off the Canadian Congo on HC. I was told that HC can't do CAD, so everything has to be in USD... I don't know how it works so maybe. But then I saw other sellers saying CAD $ at par... so it must be possible!

I have yet to order off parentingbynature. I find their prices slightly higher than other places so I tend not to order from them. The site looks awesome but if I can save a buck I will! I try to get what I can locally so as not to spend on shipping.

ash_ley
03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
for me it's cheaper to buy from there, the closest CD retailer to me is over an hour away .. so ... i spend just as much on gas!

formunkyfrommommy
03-11-2009, 05:54 PM
it bugged me at first but then as a wahm i realize that most of my dealings is with US mamas...so i think most people sell in the currency they receive most often....most sites that arent HC sometimes have an option to have it shown in which ever currency...i have never been on a store that didnt say right beside the price that it was USD...it would make me angry if it wasnt obvious and then i went to check out and all of a sudden it was USD

Jelliebean
03-11-2009, 06:03 PM
I wish it was just one price, kwim?! Like if something was $20, it was that price, no matter where you were. You'd think they'd be sympathetic to us!

Jinxiepie
03-11-2009, 07:53 PM
yes I kwym. I often buy fromUS places anyway cause even with exchange, the shipping from US is cheaper and sometimes it's overall cheaper than buying in CAD funds. Shipping is brutal here. It's cheaper to ship to the US than to my fellow canadians, so alot more US mamas will probably be interested in my dipes. It would be great if a canadian online store sold for a flat rate shipping too. Maybe it's something I should consider for my own dipes.
My HC will be US funds, but I will accept canadian at par.

Liddle1
03-11-2009, 08:03 PM
ya it gets confusing when you're trying to compare prices. you have to figure in the exchange rate, shipping, taxes, and any fees.... I try to look for stores that have free or cheap shipping and I check all the clearance sections. still, usually it works better to buy stuff from FSOT :( and personally, I prefer a brand spanking new dipe :D

selinajean
03-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Yes it annoys the heck out of me!!

I ordered something off the Canadian Congo on HC. I was told that HC can't do CAD, so everything has to be in USD... I don't know how it works so maybe. But then I saw other sellers saying CAD $ at par... so it must be possible!

Yeah, HC stores can be in CDN$, but not congos....yet!

A lot of us on dotCA will offer CDN pricing at par. It doesn't bill through HC though, we would just send an invoice to you on our own.

kaimon
03-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Yeah, HC stores can be in CDN$, but not congos....yet!

A lot of us on dotCA will offer CDN pricing at par. It doesn't bill through HC though, we would just send an invoice to you on our own.

Aha! Thanks for the clarification! :thumbsup:

Judesmommy
03-14-2009, 12:28 AM
I don't think Canadian "stores" should sell in USD, I can understand people selling on HC or Esty because they are US based sites with US customers. But if you have a store based in Canada and you are looking for fellow Canadians to be your customers you should sell in CND. You wouldn't expect to go to your grocery store and pay in USD even though some foods are imported, o you shouldn't expect your customers to pay in USD either.

formunkyfrommommy
03-14-2009, 12:35 AM
it would be nice if "commercial" type store in canada charged canadian$$ and reduced shipping for canadians lol....cheaper to ship 2 dipes to texas than from bc to alberta....seriously GAG ME!!!!....i asked the po about it and she said it is because the us has small package shipping and we dont....our base price starts like at 8$ or something like that no matter what ....where as the small package air to the states stars really low comparatively

Liddle1
03-14-2009, 01:07 AM
ya canada post seriously needs to up its game. the prices jump for example from $3 to $17, there is no in between.

joanna19
03-14-2009, 02:31 AM
i hear you guys on the pricing for can post. The postage rates are insane!!

angel0123
03-14-2009, 08:58 AM
yes I kwym. I often buy fromUS places anyway cause even with exchange, the shipping from US is cheaper and sometimes it's overall cheaper than buying in CAD funds. Shipping is brutal here. It's cheaper to ship to the US than to my fellow canadians, so alot more US mamas will probably be interested in my dipes. It would be great if a canadian online store sold for a flat rate shipping too. Maybe it's something I should consider for my own dipes.
My HC will be US funds, but I will accept canadian at par.

My store has flat rate shipping... order under 200$ is 8$, over $200 its free. But alot of things can go lettermail for 2.50$

Shipping costs alot here in Canada.

treegirl97
03-19-2009, 06:12 PM
I've bought a few things both on HC and places like Ebay from Canadian sellers and just asked if they would invoice in CAD funds. I've never had anyone say no, especially since the exchange rate is so crappy now.

zinnia
03-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Hard to know what to do - Etsy is only in CA funds

abarker
03-25-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree with the other reply - check for a canadian diaper site that ends in .ca because they almost always price in Canadian dollars. I too find that nurtured is a bit overpriced....I did find a new site the other day littletreehugger.ca and ordered a couple of diapers off there (they had a pretty good shipping rate, but I didn't order enough to get the free shipping). Since I just ordered the other day I have yet to get the diapers, but I'm hoping the other plus will be quicker shipping since it won't be going through customs...we will see.

beckscooper
03-27-2009, 01:03 PM
I am on HC, but alot of my customers are American so I do post in US dollars. I do not mind if a customer emails me and requests me to adjust their invoice so that it is in Canadian$. I think it's pretty standard to have things in US funds or it topically is, maybe that is wrong thinking!

beckscooper
03-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Another reason that I post with US prices is that I do most of my online shopping with US Sites, so this means that I have funded US funds to shop with. I should put a notice on my shop tho to send me a PM is your like a converted price. Do you think this would be a good idea?

martimeCDnewbie
03-30-2009, 06:29 PM
hey Beckscooper...yes i think thats a good idea ;)

what is your HC i'd like to check it out. I'm in NB and i love to check out local WAHM's thanks!

:)

beckscooper
04-02-2009, 06:03 AM
You can see my HC at http://hyenacart.com/astitchforyou. It's pretty empty at the moment as I am getting ready for a local craft fair. You can also check me out on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=50961931937

Muddypaws
04-08-2009, 09:14 PM
I sell in USD.

As mentioned Etsy only functions in USD, and as 90% of my customers are in the US it makes sense for me.
Also as a business I need to buy 90% of my supplies in the USA so having my funds available in USD (ie in my Paypal acct) is important.

Yep, I have been given guilt trips from Canadians.:giggle:

But if you think about it for a moment~ for me to sell at par means losing 20% of my asking price. That is a huge discount, not to mention that the pricing is based on my having had to buy the supplies in USD AND ship them PLUS customs into Canada. So add 20% onto what I paid for supplies just to get them here and par would mean 40% off against my competitors in the US.
And then the prices to ship within Canada, which people object to as well, so can't the seller eat a little of that, too?

And... another Canadian small business bites the dust.

Sorry mamas. I know what my time is worth to me and that means USD, or a currency conversion into CAD with the exchange rate.

It isn't being a bad Canadian, although it sure feels like it when you get those notes!:lostit:

selinajean
04-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I sell in USD.

As mentioned Etsy only functions in USD, and as 90% of my customers are in the US it makes sense for me.
Also as a business I need to buy 90% of my supplies in the USA so having my funds available in USD (ie in my Paypal acct) is important.

But if you think about it for a moment~ for me to sell at par means losing 20% of my asking price. That is a huge discount, not to mention that the pricing is based on my having had to buy the supplies in USD AND ship them PLUS customs into Canada. So add 20% onto what I paid for supplies just to get them here and par would mean 40% off against my competitors in the US.
And then the prices to ship within Canada, which people object to as well, so can't the seller eat a little of that, too?

Sorry mamas. I know what my time is worth to me and that means USD, or a currency conversion into CAD with the exchange rate.

It isn't being a bad Canadian, although it sure feels like it when you get those notes!:lostit:

I agree Lori. If I wasn't able to buy my supplies for such a deal I wouldn't do the at-par pricing either. There's only so much you can give before you are losing money on each and every sale.

Seun Designs
04-11-2009, 07:22 PM
I think most WAHMs are just catering to the majority since many of their customers are in the US.

tjdunn
04-12-2009, 04:27 PM
My online store is in Canadian pricing: LittleSquirts.net
I'm still trying to iron out the shipping pricing, because I don't want to make money off shipping, but I don't want to lose money, either, but if you order something and are charged more for shipping than it actually costs, I do refund it the difference.:thumbsup:

jerenaud
04-12-2009, 05:17 PM
I sell in USD.

I (as a Canadian consumer) hadn't really thought about the necessity of having US funds available for your purchases. I completely agree with the loss you'd take by offering at par - I've never asked nor expected a retailer to accept Canadian at par (except of course when that was the exchange rate!) but I do like the option of paying in Canadian funds. Then I'm not dinged on the paypal exchange rate, which is less than the bank exchange rate.

Erica

Rainshine Designs
04-16-2009, 10:16 AM
My site is in Canadian $ but probably 95% of my customers are US, it makes it hard to please everyone! I have a currency calculator on my site and have the @ price in USD listed under every product but often Americans have a hard time thinking in another currency whereas Canadians do it all the time. Thats why my DS WAHM thread is priced in USD, the "official currency of DS"
Ahhh, it's all so confusing and don't even get me started on Canada Post!

acornsandoaks
04-20-2009, 11:47 PM
I think a lot of places changed to US when the dollar was so good last summer. People were complaining, so they switched. To bad it didn't stay that way, eh?

singingpraises7
04-21-2009, 01:03 PM
I just ordered a $25 diaper from a Canadian WAHM. It ended up costing me $43 with exchange and shipping.

Liddle1
04-21-2009, 03:43 PM
:jawdrop:

CandiceW
04-23-2009, 08:12 PM
yeah that bugs me as well..

have you seen this shop?
http://www.cozybums.ca/