PDA

View Full Version : Homemade body wash from a bar of soap?

SenoraE
03-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Just checking to see if anyone has made this recipe (http://www.recipezaar.com/Liquid-Hand-Soap-Recipe-92375)from Recipezaar.com for handsoap? It seems to me that if I made it with Dove that it could be body wash, not just hand soap? Any suggestions or BTDTs? Thanks!!
24 oz
Ingredients
1 soap bar, small (not super size)
3 cups water
Directions
1. Take your bar of soap (we use Dove or store brand like it, because it's more moisturizing), and grate it with a cheese grater.
2. Pour the water and grated soap into a microwaveable container and cook on high for 3 min.
3. Remove and stir until all soap bits have melted (put in a bit longer, if needed).
4. Let it cool, then pour into pumps (leftover from store bought liquid soap), and the remainder in any container with a lid.

SenoraE
03-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Ok - just made it with an old bar of Dove that was just sitting under the sink for about 3 years. I also have some irish spring just sitting around, so I will probably try that next. So far it really seems pretty good. I think it would be a GREAT option for people who are into WAGS and get those little bars all the time. I am not sure how many little bars to one big one, but it feels very creamy made with Dove. Will try it tomorrow in the shower & try to post a review.

Adamsmama
03-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks for posting this. It sounds like it could work. Let us know if it works as well as shower gel in the shower.

cottoncandysky
03-14-2009, 05:19 PM
cool im gonna try with the buddy bars. thanks!!

My Sweet Blessings
03-14-2009, 08:45 PM
I've pondered that for a long time thinking it could be done. I've got SO many bars of soaps.. not to mention those buddies bars! My son would LOVE to have those turned into liquid and put in a pump bottle! gonna have to try that!

queserasera
03-15-2009, 06:21 AM
i was wondering this too - have a ton of body shop soap bars i haven't used!

SenoraE
03-15-2009, 06:56 PM
INFO & MY REVIEW: Made it with Dove, and put it in a Suave shampoo bottle that I was going to put in recycling. There's a little extra, but I'm going to pass that along to my Mom in an attempt to get her on board too. She currently pays $6.99 for a bottle of Dove body wash. Yikes! The labels on the Suave bottles peel off really easily, and I just wrote DOVE Body Wash on it in sharpie. It was very nice, creamy and luxurious. It bubbled only as much as Dove bar soap did, so it wasn't really sudsy, but it did lather up exactly like the Dove bar soap did. I will definitely make this recipe again!!! BIG money saver, easy and quality results.

ETA: I ended up microwaving it for around 9 minutes total because of some chunks from the end of the bar that I didn't shred. I used a slotted spoon to check to see if it'd all been melted. I left it out overnight on accident, so I microwaved it again for about a minute in the AM to melt it again & used a funnel to put it in the shampoo bottle. I used a normal size bar of Dove (4.25 oz), but it was for sensitive skin if that matters.

Happy body wash making! :)

steffylikewoah
03-15-2009, 07:24 PM
great idea!!

4BoysMom
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
I left it out overnight on accident, so I microwaved it again for about a minute in the AM to melt it again & used a funnel to put it in the shampoo bottle.

quick question and need clarification... if you had to remelt this morning what is to keep you from needing to melt tommorrow or did you add for water after it melted so it won;t resolidify?

steffylikewoah
03-15-2009, 09:32 PM
quick question and need clarification... if you had to remelt this morning what is to keep you from needing to melt tommorrow or did you add for water after it melted so it won;t resolidify?

:popcorn:

hms1221
03-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I did this with regular Dove in a Softsoap pump. I used less water because it seemed to watery, then added water the next day because it was too thick to pour into the pump bottle. It works really well (and took care of my 4 y.o.'s dishpan hands; I guess generic Softsoap is too harsh for her.)

SenoraE
03-16-2009, 06:49 PM

I left it in a big open casserole dish overnight on the counter. It didn't really solidify, but the top got thick enough that it wouldn't pour easily into the bottle. If you left shampoo out overnight with that much open surface area it'd get a little crusty too. I am sure being sealed up without a lot of air in a bottle will be fine. HTH!

m00ndancer
03-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Very cool! I've been looking for something like this! :thumbsup:

TheFlare15
03-21-2009, 01:02 AM
This sounds neat! :thumbsup: I'm going to try it next week! You know how you can use the softsoap refills, add water, & make the foaming soap refills?

Do you guys think I could make this recipe, keep it in an empty shampoo container for storage, & then use this w/ some extra water added (as I'm actually refilling the soap foamer containers) to do the same thing?
:headscratch: What do you think?

~Lindsay

TheFlare15
03-21-2009, 11:25 PM
:bumpsign:

SenoraE
03-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Sorry I missed it! Here's the link for the foaming soap recipe from Recipezaar. :)
http://www.recipezaar.com/Foam-Soap-Refill-103893 You can click and read what others posted on the side. Someone used Suave Body Wash, so I am thinking you can use the homemade body wash, but it looks like you'll have to water it down a LOT! GL!

Ingredients
3 tablespoons liquid hand soap or Joy dishwashing soap
2/3 cup warm water
Directions
1Gently mix soap with water.
2Do not shake.
3Pour into foam soap dispenser.
4Note: I used Dawn dishwashing liquid (apple blossom anti-bacterial soap) with great results.
5I did a test run first using 1 tablespoon soap to 4 tablespoons water.

TheFlare15
03-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks so much! :goodvibes:

~Lindsay

Gitrecca
04-07-2009, 11:11 AM
So I just tried this and it seemed super watery to me. Is that always the case? Did I not add enough soap or is it just going to be that liquidy? Thanks!

MommyMilktm
04-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Woo hoo! I'm gonna try this one!! I was wondering about how to make "foaming" soap for the foaming dispenser!
TY!!

Sorry I missed it! Here's the link for the foaming soap recipe from Recipezaar. :)
http://www.recipezaar.com/Foam-Soap-Refill-103893 You can click and read what others posted on the side. Someone used Suave Body Wash, so I am thinking you can use the homemade body wash, but it looks like you'll have to water it down a LOT! GL!

Ingredients
3 tablespoons liquid hand soap or Joy dishwashing soap
2/3 cup warm water
Directions
1Gently mix soap with water.
2Do not shake.
3Pour into foam soap dispenser.
4Note: I used Dawn dishwashing liquid (apple blossom anti-bacterial soap) with great results.
5I did a test run first using 1 tablespoon soap to 4 tablespoons water.

SenoraE
04-07-2009, 06:13 PM
So I just tried this and it seemed super watery to me. Is that always the case? Did I not add enough soap or is it just going to be that liquidy? Thanks!
What kind of soap did you use? My MIL tried to use hotel soap, but it didn't have the weight/volume of the bars on the outside, so we just guessed. We did NOT do a good job guessing. I did end up doctoring it up with about 1/4 cup of body lotion - so now it's actually like body wash. You could try adding a little lotion to thicken it up. HTH!

Gitrecca
04-08-2009, 06:49 AM
What kind of soap did you use? My MIL tried to use hotel soap, but it didn't have the weight/volume of the bars on the outside, so we just guessed. We did NOT do a good job guessing. I did end up doctoring it up with about 1/4 cup of body lotion - so now it's actually like body wash. You could try adding a little lotion to thicken it up. HTH!

I used the Dove that I got from Walgreens for free a few weeks ago, plus a little bit of a Buddies bar for scent. How liquidy is it supposed to be? Will it thicken? I can add some lotion... My hubby thinks I'm nuts already. :)

Muchas gracias por todos!

SenoraE
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Mine thickened up, and it's been in an old Suave container since the original post (seems like it has to have been at least 2 weeks). Haven't needed to really use it yet, but we should be running out of the last of the "real" stuff in about a week & a half. Just checked & it's still creamy. I don't think Dove will need any lotion since it's already really creamy. have you kept yours in a bottle sealed up?

Gitrecca
04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Well, as of today it's in a bottle, sealed. I'm going to use it as runny handsoap for now and hope it thickens!

heidihomom
04-08-2009, 05:42 PM
love this thread!! I'm on Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover forum and the girls there rave about this idea. Yet, your recipe is easier. YEA!

funkymamato4
04-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Ohhh, I was just looking for something like this! Help me too please! I have about 10 small hotel soaps that are I just cleaned out of my little travel stockpile. I have plenty of body soap stockpiled but would love to make a handwash for the bathrooms. How would you suggest I do this? Do you have a recipe I could try? I get these soaps all the time because DH travels for work and brings him home (he knows I don't like to waist anything). I use them when we travel but still have too many. Any suggestions for me?