PDA

View Full Version : Expired sweetened condensed milk okay to use?

FallBabies
03-30-2009, 11:07 AM
I just noticed the "best if used by date" is 2/5/09, so it expired under two months ago. Anyone know if I should still be okay to use it?
I don't even have a recipe in mind, I just want to try to hurry up and use the two cans if I can.

scollins5501
04-01-2009, 01:30 PM
i would say it is fine. It just says "best if used by" and I personally believe it did not magically go bad the day after it said to use it.

twinsintennesseeforme
04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
It should be okay, especially if you are not using it raw. Open the can and give it a smell test. The Best If dates are usually to cover the life of the inside can lining that protects the food from bacteria and if bacteria have started , the can would be swollen. Think about it, you can use milk even after it has gone bad as long as you are cooking with it, buttermilk.

dknute
04-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I always use expired can goods. I have never had any problem or gotton sick. They have always tasted fine. I read somewhere that canned goods don't actually go bad as long as they are still sealed. It's when air gets in there that bacteria starts to grow and it goes bad.
(I have even eaten things that were 2 years past the date *gasp* and they were fine)

athomeangela
04-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I have used WAY expired condensed milk in the past and had no problem. I actually made it into some very yummy caramel sauce! :)

FallBabies
04-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks, all! Now I just need to figure out what do actually make with it...