PDA

View Full Version : FENUGREEK

Ilovemycritters
05-18-2006, 08:10 PM
I'm trying to increase my milk supply since I'm hoping to start working after my daughter is about one or older, and I bought some Fenugreek in the past but drank how much it states in the bottle. Now I've read some women drink more than just 1-2 a day, but it's this different brands or can I drink more?

This is my bottle

GNC Nature's Fingerprint Fenugreek

610MG

Do I need to increase my dosage or keep it the way it is? For how long do I drink these pills?

Thanks a bunches ladies!!!

scatterbrainedmom
05-18-2006, 11:05 PM
i took 2 pills in the morning and 2 at night. I was taking natures sunshine i think.

scatterbrainedmom
05-18-2006, 11:06 PM
you will know you are taking enough when you start to smell like maple syrup :)

Ilovemycritters
05-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Thank you, I'll wait for the smell. He he :)

Luv2bemommy
05-19-2006, 08:46 AM
I took this when I was nursing and the LC told me you can take up to 9 a day (I was taking 12 at one time), she told me to take 3, 3 times a day.

foofoomomma
05-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I also took 3, 3x a day (of the same mg- well 600mg but ya know).... seemed like a lot but IT WORKED! And I did smell like maple LOL This site is awesome....check it out. HTH
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/fenugreek.html

bfoster2000
05-19-2006, 10:17 AM
I took Fenugreek when I was nursing DJ. The store I went to had two different strengths. One bottle said to take 2, 3 times a day, the other bottle said take 3, 3 times a day (or something like that) but it came out to the same total dosage either way so I went for the cheaper one and took what it recommended. I will tell you I started it in the afternoon and after 3 doses (24 hours), I could tell a huge difference! I was pumping exclusively and the amount I was able to pump was close to double! My milk, sweat, and urine also all started to smell like maple syrup (fenugreek is used as flavoring in artificial maple syrup). Be careful though...I've heard that some babies don't like the maple smell/flavor and will resist the milk. Didn't seem to be a problem for DJ but it did drive dh crazy (just an added bonus! :lostit: )

If you're prone to engorgement, plugged ducts, and mastitis, you can also take Blessed Thistle along with the Fenugreek. Some people say that the BT boosts your milk a little more, but I was told that it "promotes healthy glandular function" meaning that it just helps keep everything healthy overall with your lactation. Good luck!

emmiebaur
05-19-2006, 10:31 AM
I also took 3 pills 3x daily, but I believe my pills were about 200 mgs each. I packed my own 'cause it was way cheaper! Definitely worked, and I can still remember that maple smell!!!
Mara

ChurchPunkMom
05-19-2006, 10:32 AM
I took the GNC brand capsules - I took 3, 3X/day - 9 pills a day total. It worked pretty well and yeah, maple syrup! My milk, my sweat, my pee, me, my baby... all smelled like maple syrup.:giggle:

StacyB
05-19-2006, 10:34 AM
I took 4, 4 times a day. I may still have some...(BFing ended up not working)

quarli
05-19-2006, 06:31 PM
I take 3pills 3x a day. I dont do it daily though because it does make me sick. You will smell like maple syrup, or as a friend told me "you smell like belong slathered on a pancake with some butter". The babies like it though...lol

I use whatever brand I can find....im not picky cause I dont get out much to shop, so whatever store im in, if they have it I get it. My mom just started me on a place she biys from and they have 100count bottles for $3, so I may start buying from them.