PDA

View Full Version : *Update*37 Weeks, 70% Effaced....what's the chances of delivering next week?

racheemay
04-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I am 37 weeks today and the doctor said I'm dilated 1-2 and cervix thinned out 70%. Two weeks ago there was no thinning. She thinks I'm going to have the baby next week, although my due date is April,28th. She is an awesome doctor and I very much think she knows what she is talking about, but what do you guys think? Any of you have similar stories? My first daughter came 3 days after my due date. :lostit:

jackyl08
04-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Good question! I was about the same this morning at 36wks2days. My cervix is also very short, so here's to hoping for both of us!

angel95annie
04-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I really don't want to rain on your happiness cause that is really good news! But I know lots of mamas that have been dialated between a 1-3 for 2 weeks even....the only way to know for sure when you are going to have your baby is to get induced in a hospital :goodvibes:

Esthersmommy
04-07-2009, 05:27 PM
I hate to say this but, I was 3-4cm and 80% for a week before I went into labor! I'd been 2cm/60% since 36 weeks. Its so hard to predict!

From the beginning I set 42 weeks as my due date so when she came at 41, it felt early!

dornmama
04-07-2009, 05:28 PM
I have to agree with the PP. You can walk around x dilated and effaced for weeks and not go into labor. It really isn't all that uncommon at all. Just like some women walk out of an appointment with absolutely no dilation or effacement and go into labor hours later. You just never know what's going to happen until you are actually in labor.

adorabubbleknits
04-07-2009, 05:36 PM
For all my 3 kiddos, I was dialated to a 4 (6 with #3) and effaced 80% for 4 weeks!!! I thought they were going to fall out. So it may or may not be soon. The nice thing though, I have very fast deliveries, last one was 1 hr and 15 min. I might not make it to the hospital with this next one, LOL!

spacetygrss
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I half to agree with the other ladies. I was 4 cm dilated, 80% effaced at 37 weeks. My DS was born at 39 weeks (3 hr 25 min labor, first kid!).

Hang in there!

Edensmomma
04-07-2009, 05:42 PM
There is no way to tell. How dilated you are really makes no difference. You can walk around 4 cm dilated for 2 months and it doesn't mean anything...especially with a subsequent pregnancy.

70% is okay, but I had a client at 37 weeks and was 70% and she went all the way until 42.5 weeks.

racheemay
04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I figured it was normal and nothing to get tooo excited about. With my first I was dilated to 3 for a few weeks but I don't know how effaced I was. I never paid too much attention to that part of it. Well, cross your fingers for me, ladies!!!

Edensmomma
04-07-2009, 08:34 PM
:crossfingers: for you and lots of easy labor vibes! :)

MelDM
04-08-2009, 08:17 AM
I was 90% effaced at 38 weeks. I went into labor at 41w1d! What a ripoff! :giggle:

racheemay
04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
I was 90% effaced at 38 weeks. I went into labor at 41w1d! What a ripoff! :giggle:

I'm losing hope!!! I wonder if there is ANYONE who actually delivered soon after becoming effaced at a high percentage??? Seems like most women still have weeks to go once they start thinning...

TwinKristi
04-08-2009, 02:08 PM
I hate when dr's do that! They get mama's hopes and anxiety up for nothing most of the time! I was always the opposite of what everyone else has experienced. I can go from 0 to delivery in hours and throw everyone off! LOL

With my twins I went into PTL at 28-29wks and was 4cm dialated. They thought "next 24-48 hrs" for days!! UGH! I finally went home and at 34wks I was actually back to <1cm! My dr told me I had a good 2wks! Well not even 48hrs later I delivered! I kept thinking it wasn't really labor since my dr told me 2 more wks! LOL

My 3rd was overdue. I thought he would come early seeing as how my twins did, but nope! He was 40w3d when I was set up for induction. I was given Cytotec to ripen my cervix the night before my induction and was told I was very unfavorable for induction and be prepared for a LOOOOONG day! I was high and closed at 4pm when they did the Cytotec. After 1 dose I was already 2cm but still really high. While waiting for the morning I started feeling totally antsy and couldn't get comfortable in the bed. My nurse checked me before giving me a sleeping pill but I was 7-8cm!!! Whoa! :giggle: I always prove them wrong!

kezoo
04-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I hate to say this but, I was 3-4cm and 80% for a week before I went into labor! I'd been 2cm/60% since 36 weeks. Its so hard to predict!

From the beginning I set 42 weeks as my due date so when she came at 41, it felt early!

Yeah, sorry mama, but dilation & effacement actually have very little to do with when you will go into labor. With my dd, I was 1-2 at 36w, 2-3cm, 25% effaced by 38w and by 40w, I was a solid 3, 75% effaced. She was born 40w2d.

luvmybaby333
04-08-2009, 02:29 PM
I'd say the odds of you delivering next week are between 5% and 99% ... with a slight chance of rain on Tuesday. :\

Just kidding :giggle:

There really is no way to tell mama. Some women go from zero to 100 within hours. Other women are 80% effaced for weeks before they deliver.

:hugs: It's all just a waiting game at this point. We could all pretend to guess, and offer stories supporting one way or another... But the fact is: that baby is coming out when he or she wants to. The baby could care less what percentage of effacement you are at, or how far from your due-date you are. :laugh:

Oakleaf
04-08-2009, 08:50 PM
I will be the odd one out. I went in for an ob appt on a Friday (36 weeks, 2 days) and was 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. I went into labor and had my son the following Tuesday morning (36 weeks, 6 days). My water broke at 2:15 am and he was born at 10:30am. So, you may get lucky...;)

racheemay
04-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Well mamas, I will definitely keep you all updated on what happens. I felt like I was having contractions earlier today but maybe I'm just parnaoid! :giggle: For now, I will keep up the running and DTD in hopes that she will make an appearance soon, lol! Thanks for all your input :thumbsup:

adorabubbleknits
04-09-2009, 08:58 AM
I will be the odd one out. I went in for an ob appt on a Friday (36 weeks, 2 days) and was 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. I went into labor and had my son the following Tuesday morning (36 weeks, 6 days). My water broke at 2:15 am and he was born at 10:30am. So, you may get lucky...;)

I bet there are plenty more like you. I just like to complain about being so far dialated/effaced for so many weeks, LOL! I think you must be more the norm because every time I saw my doc for my weekly appointment I'd say, "See you next week." And he'd say, "Doubt it." He was dumbfounded by the 4th week.

ThreeBunniesMoma
04-09-2009, 05:32 PM
I was 80% and 3cm with my first for 3 weeks with no change. She was born at 40 weeks 1 day. My second was induced at 36 weeks due to pre eclampsia. My 3rd came on her own at 37 weeks 3 days. I hadn't been check before labor began with her.:thumbsup:

racheemay
04-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Well something is definitely going on! I started passing my mucous plug this week, something I do not remember at all with my first. Mild contractions began also within the last few days. I am too sore to continue on with my running that I've been so diligent about before and during this pregnancy. I think I'm going to go on a long walk this morning...I can't imagine being preggers another week or two, now that my hopes are up!!!

racheemay
04-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I am 37 weeks today and the doctor said I'm dilated 1-2 and cervix thinned out 70%. Two weeks ago there was no thinning. She thinks I'm going to have the baby next week, although my due date is April,28th. She is an awesome doctor and I very much think she knows what she is talking about, but what do you guys think? Any of you have similar stories? My first daughter came 3 days after my due date. :lostit:

*UPDATE*

Just wanted to let everyone know that the doctor was right (or lucky)! I delivered last week on Tuesday, exactly 2 weeks from my due date. You can see pics in the "Due in April" threads, under "Hello Beautiful Arwen Eve".

dornmama
04-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Congratulations!!