PDA

View Full Version : mmr vaccination for 18 month old while I'm pregnant?

momomommy
04-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Anyone know what the deal is with giving your child the MMR vaccination while you are currently pregnant? When my niece got her vaccination she somehow was able to give her twin brother (who hadn't had his shot yet) measles. He was tested and definitely had the measles. So...is it safe for me, if my son gets the shot? I don't know if I'm immune to measles or not. I seem to faintly recall getting what my mom thought was measles when I was little, but I don't know if I did or not. I don't know if my mom vaccinated me at all, to be honest, she was a total hippy and hated doctors...she's not around anymore to ask.

Thanks!

gladeofmelons
04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
It's not measles you need to worry about, it's ruebella. And yes, it should be safe (in fact, the biggest reason kids are vaxed for ruebella is to PROTECT their pregger mommies; reubella causes defects in the unborn fetus when contracted by a pregnant woman). You should be able to go over your concerns with your OB-- although the topic isn't terribly current, since ruebella is on the list of diseases that's almost been eliminated through "herd immunity", ie. lots of people being vaxed. HTH!

Joyful Tie Dyes
04-08-2009, 02:41 PM
You can be tested for immunity but I don't know the answer to you question.

gladeofmelons
04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Oh, and Dr. Sears Vaccine book goes over it pretty well if you need more info than your OB seems to be able to give you

momomommy
04-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks! I have a midwife appt this Saturday so I guess she can help me out! I just have my son's ped appt on Friday...but I think I'll just hold off on the vaccination till I talk to my midwife. My son was barfing all over the place yesterday, so I'd have probably waiting to do the vaccination anyway.

tarah1218
04-08-2009, 02:56 PM
I would be worried because you are the one changing the poopy diapers and it is shed through the stool. I mean, you can wash your hands and stuff but what if you don't wash them well enough, touch something on accident, etc. and than you can end up getting the virus. We were just talking about this at the dinner table as my son got shots today but did not get any live virus vaccinations for other reasons. If you knew you were immune than I would say it is not a big deal but since you don't know, I don't know if I could take that risk. I know when I was exposed to the chicken pox (I have never had it) at 36-37 weeks with DS the OB freaked out and did blood tests and watched me like a hawk, he didn't want me going into the labor and having my son, if I had the chicken pox, until it was gone because it would be riskier for him to deal with chicken pox outside the womb. You arn't in your first trimester anymore so maybe that will make a difference too? I just don't know, sorry if I got you more frazzled, it was just a big topic at our table tonight.

momomommy
04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
I would be worried because you are the one changing the poopy diapers and it is shed through the stool. I mean, you can wash your hands and stuff but what if you don't wash them well enough, touch something on accident, etc. and than you can end up getting the virus. We were just talking about this at the dinner table as my son got shots today but did not get any live virus vaccinations for other reasons. If you knew you were immune than I would say it is not a big deal but since you don't know, I don't know if I could take that risk. I know when I was exposed to the chicken pox (I have never had it) at 36-37 weeks with DS the OB freaked out and did blood tests and watched me like a hawk, he didn't want me going into the labor and having my son, if I had the chicken pox, until it was gone because it would be riskier for him to deal with chicken pox outside the womb. You arn't in your first trimester anymore so maybe that will make a difference too? I just don't know, sorry if I got you more frazzled, it was just a big topic at our table tonight.

No, I appreciate all the input! I was bummed because even though I'm immune to chickenpox (had it when I was little) my OB (who I just switched from) wouldn't let me expose my son to chickenpox "just in case" I got it again despite being immune. I've had TWO chances to give my son chickenpox while I've been pregs!!! None before that. And once the baby's born I'll of course wait till he older to expose him.

Anyhow, I'm sure my midwife will be able to decipher my tests and tell me if I'm immune or not. It just never occurred to me to even think about it till a few minutes ago.

kezoo
04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Mama, your immunity to Rubella should have been checked as part of your initial bloodwork, I know my OB told me I wasn't immune (with my first) and was with my second (I got the Rubella vax post-partum - which I regret - long story - and part of why we ended up being non-vaxing family). If you aren't immune, they cannot vax you while pg, it's not safe. So I would be nervous about being around a recently vaxed child while pg if you are NOT immune. If your bloodwork shows you are immune, then I wouldn't worry about it.

rachaeljohnson
04-08-2009, 03:54 PM
yeah, they should check your titers...i know i was immune to rubella with Lor and she is 16 mos so i am hoping i still am bc she hasn't gotten that vaccine and won't until she is much older. We did start getting her the whooping cough vaccine though so she can't pass that to lil bro or sis.

momomommy
04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Mama, your immunity to Rubella should have been checked as part of your initial bloodwork, I know my OB told me I wasn't immune (with my first) and was with my second (I got the Rubella vax post-partum - which I regret - long story - and part of why we ended up being non-vaxing family). If you aren't immune, they cannot vax you while pg, it's not safe. So I would be nervous about being around a recently vaxed child while pg if you are NOT immune. If your bloodwork shows you are immune, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah, I have a copy of my bloodwork and I just couldn't understand it. This Saturday is my first appt with my midwife, so she doesn't have my records yet (since I still have them!).

I think I may have deciphered the rubella test and I think it says I'm immune. It's hard because the test results don't give a positive or negative. Just the titer count.

Anyhow...I'll double check with my midwife and have her make sure.

Regardless I think I'm going to put off the MMR for a while longer. It's not like I'm jumping out of my shoes to do it anyhow. Wish vaccinations didn't have to be such a worrisome subject.

mommyshannon
04-08-2009, 04:06 PM
We decided not to give it to our two year old while I was in the first trimester. We are getting it for him in June (I'm due in July) so that he will have it before the baby gets here. I don't want him to get the shot after the baby is born for the same reason you described with your niece and nephew.

mom2~3offspring
04-08-2009, 06:43 PM
I just got my 24 month old his MMR shot last week and i am 7 months pregnant :) The shot was totaly fine . ITS THE FIRST TIME HE HASNT GOTTEN A FEVER over a shot . How odd it that :)