PDA

View Full Version : Where will you deliver?

kulaswifeandmama
04-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Just wondering where everyone is delivering! :):thumbsup:

Dory
04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
There are no midwives in my area, so my only option is Dr. or no. So it has to be the hospital for me. Not a birthing center for almost an hour, and it's in conjunction with a hospital.

I could never comfortably do a homebirth though, because my history of big babies. I would not be comfortable with that.

Lisa-Rachelle
04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Both my daughter's were born at a Birth Center, and any future babies will be also.

And by Birth Center, I do mean freestanding (not within a Hospital).

Lisa-Rachelle
04-15-2009, 05:48 PM
There are no midwives in my area, so my only option is Dr. or no. So it has to be the hospital for me. Not a birthing center for almost an hour, and it's in conjunction with a hospital.

I could never comfortably do a homebirth though, because my history of big babies. I would not be comfortable with that.

Not sure of your exact location, but.....
http://thefarmcommunity.com/

Totally righteous place!

Dory
04-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey! I'm an hour from Jackson!
But about 3 and a half from there. Nice to see someone who isn't a world away though :D

sistersusannah
04-15-2009, 05:55 PM
There was no "other" option. We will be delivering at the hospital with a doctor (scheduled c-section birth) but my MW will be attending as well.

momomommy
04-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Had my last one at a freestanding birthing center that I loved, was about an hour away (without LA traffic). Wanted a home birth but my insurance wouldn't cover. This time I'm saying screw insurance and paying out of pocket and doing a home birth. Safer than going to a birthing center and it's not an hour away! So excited. It's funny how I'm so much more comfy with a home birth than I am with a hospital birth. The idea of a hospital birth makes me nervous and upset. I was going to do a hospital birth so I could use my insurance up until a month or so ago, but I was just too uncomfortable with it. So we figured out our finances and switched to the midwife I really wanted. Can't wait!

wjallen05
04-15-2009, 06:00 PM
I like the whole idea of having a home birth, but my third child was born 4 weeks early via emergency c-section due to placental abruption, and I sure am glad I was at a hospital and not at home or neither of us would be here today.

oops, sorry, guess this didn't really apply to me since I had my tubes tied and I am hopefully not pregnant!!

mlkirkpatrick
04-15-2009, 06:04 PM
My first choice would be in a Birth Center with a Midwife. But there are no birth centers anywhere near me. So my next favorite option would be in a hospital with a midwife. But in AR Midwives aren't allowed to deliver in hospitals. :banghead: So my options are Hospital with Dr. or at home with a midwife. DS was born at a Hospital with a Dr. And all the nurses hated us because we had a very specific birth plan that offended them because we rejected EVERYTHING!:giggle2:

Divalicious Mama
04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
At the hospital with my O.B.,same one who delivered my DD.

mommyof2wildboys
04-15-2009, 06:48 PM
At a hospital with a family Dr. She delivered both my boys, plus my brothers and sister. She would have delivered me too, but I was born out of state.

jackyl08
04-15-2009, 06:54 PM
At a hospital with a family practice doctor. Actually, the same hospital as mommyof2wildboys! LOL! My current most terrifying thought is giving birth at home and the ambulance not finding us since we live in BFE(not unheard of for the fire department to have trouble finding us!).

weintz8
04-15-2009, 06:54 PM
My first baby was delivered by emergency C-Section so now I have to have C-Sections in a hospital :cry: I would so LOVE to have a homebirth!! ( I have a classic incision so no Dr will touch a VBAC :banghead:)

kulaswifeandmama
04-15-2009, 07:24 PM
There was no "other" option. We will be delivering at the hospital with a doctor (scheduled c-section birth) but my MW will be attending as well.

I knew I was missing something! Sorry! :goodvibes:

honeylover122
04-15-2009, 07:31 PM
I would have loved to have delivered at home or at a birthing center but DS1 had complications & was HUGE so I am glad I did hospital. I will always go to the hospital with an OB. But I love mine & he's very supportive of everything I want to do! But I guess it kinda doesn't apply to me since I am definately NOT pregnant

CherryPie
04-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Unfortunately, at a hospital with a dr. :(

My last was at a birth center with a midwife but I have new insurance and they don't cover the birth center or any midwives. The sucky part is DH won't be here so I won't have him to be my advocate if I am being pressured to do unnecessary medical interventions.

On the plus side, the hospital is quite posh and the birthing rooms look great. The room you labor and birth in is the same room you stay in after you have the baby and they keep you and the baby together (I wouldn't have it any other way). I just view hospitals as germ factories for sick people.

melanne
04-15-2009, 07:54 PM
I would love to deliver at a birthing center or in a hospital with a midwife, but unfortunately, that's not an option for me this time around. I was too nervous to attempt it with my daughter, as she was my first, even though I could have had my choice of midwives or even gone to a birthing center if I'd wanted (about as far away as the hospital was for us!). But we've since moved (DH is Navy), and DH is now stationed at a base that has a Naval hospital. With our type of military insurance, I don't have the option of going anywhere BUT the hospital unless we're willing to pay a good portion of it out of pocket. Also, there are no midwives or birthing centers within miles of where we are now (we're pretty remote), so the hospital with a doctor is pretty much my only choice. Even if we could figure out how to finance a birth at a birthing center with a midwife, the nearest center is in Seattle, which is two hours away WITHOUT traffic. Yeah, not doing that. And I'm just too nervous to even attempt a home birth, even with a midwife in attendance. Oh well. I had a good experience with my hospital birth with my daughter. In fact, my labor was so long that I wound up needing the drugs just to relax enough to let my body do what it had to do! :giggle: The only annoying part of the hospital delivery was not being able to really rest afterwards with all the nurses coming in every hour to check my vitals or check on DD.

Anyway, all that to say I'm delivering at a hospital with a doctor, although I would prefer a midwife. Oh well. Maybe next time!

AtLeast
04-15-2009, 08:01 PM
I have done all three, had my first in a hospital with an OB, induced, epidural, the whole bit. Second one I had an OB for the first half of my pg and then a midwife and I delivered in a freestanding birth center. Third, I had an OB for the first few months and then switched to a midwife when I found one I really liked and had a home waterbirth. This time around I haven't had to move states, so I am with the same midwife and planning another home waterbirth. I have my babies really fast, though. Under two hours the last time, and I seem to shave an hour off each time, so I can't imagine trying to make to a hospital in time! I'd rather plan to have it here at home.

~Rebekah

mama.lovin3
04-15-2009, 08:12 PM
All three of my children were born at a free standing birthing center call The Birth Cottage. And all three were waterbirths. I'm a pre-med student and after all the things i have seen hospitals do and get away with I'd NEVER deliver a child in one. It's just sad.

babygirlsmom1005
04-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Birthcenter with midwife :thumbsup:

CherryPie
04-15-2009, 08:14 PM
The only annoying part of the hospital delivery was not being able to really rest afterwards with all the nurses coming in every hour to check my vitals or check on DD.

That reason alone had me running to the Birth Center for #3!! I had my first two at a naval hospital too and although it wasn't horrible, it definitely wasn't my ideal birthing experience. This time I am back to a civilian hospital so hopefully it will be better than the navy one.

tfjjmc
04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
I have had 3 preemies... If I have another I will be at a hospital with a NICU.

wfiles
04-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Oh I would be really interested in a home birth with a midwife...but the nearest midwife is an hour away, the local hospital only staffs Dr's (except ER) if you call in advance and the nearest large hospital is over two hours away. Given the circumstances it seems like too big of a risk. So instead we had DD at the local hospital with our family physician (no OB's in town, only an hour away).
Our physician is very holistic however and did a wonderful job with us. We happened to be the only ones in the maternity wing so we got lots of attension and he stayed with us all night, through the labor, pushing and for a while afterwards. My girlfriend who is a nurse calls him her "manwife."

dogmom327
04-15-2009, 09:05 PM
The plan is for a homebirth with a midwife same as with DS but honestly I'm hoping the baby comes before the midwife gets here. I love my MW but I would really enjoy having it be a private experience with just DH and I. We'll see what happens...

We have fantastic birth centers around here but honestly I can't fathom getting in a car while in labor. I want my own space, my own stuff and privacy.

Mamatoabunch
04-15-2009, 09:20 PM
At home unassisted, same as my last 6. Only my twins were born in hospital first pregnancy, third was a midwife present HB.

MelDM
04-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Both of my DD's were born in the hospital with an OB. My next one will most likely be delivered in the hospital with a midwife. Depends where we live at the time though. Midwifery just became covered by Alberta health care, and we have a severe shortage of midwives, so i may not be able to get one :cry: I was reading somewhere that you have to get in with one about 2 seconds after you test positive or you're SOL :giggle:

MangoMommy
04-16-2009, 02:12 AM
Hospital w/midwife and doula.

There are no birth centers here and I had complications w/both so I really am not up for a homebirth, though it sounds awesome.

jessc82
04-16-2009, 05:40 AM
with the dr. at the hospital. repeat c/s.

Layna
04-16-2009, 07:34 AM
The only annoying part of the hospital delivery was not being able to really rest afterwards with all the nurses coming in every hour to check my vitals or check on DD.

That is one of the reasons we're going with a homebirth this time. I had a perfect hospital birth with DD, but the stay after the birth was just annoying. They were nice and everything but I just wanted to be HOME!
That and now we're 40+ miles from the hospital and my family has a history of fast 2nd + labors, so I'm not wanting a long car ride while I'm in the middle of labor or risk giving birth in the car, plus it will be in Dec. In Fargo, ND so yeah.. :D

A homebirth with a midwife for us.

MinkaK
04-16-2009, 08:08 AM
Probably a military hospital with an OB. I would like to birth at a birth center attached to a hospital, that would be neat.

For the record-I have GD and may need the NICU. I had GD with DS and he ended up a week in the NICU and a week in the Pediatric ward due to his blood sugar being low after birth.

dornmama
04-16-2009, 09:50 AM
The plan is for a homebirth with a midwife same as with DS but honestly I'm hoping the baby comes before the midwife gets here. I love my MW but I would really enjoy having it be a private experience with just DH and I. We'll see what happens...

We have fantastic birth centers around here but honestly I can't fathom getting in a car while in labor. I want my own space, my own stuff and privacy.

Have you spoke to your midwife about this? She may be perfectly happy just leaving the two of you alone and hanging out in a different room or outside until you deliver or decide you need her. I've found that a lot of midwives are happy to be as hands on or hands off as you want if you just talk to them about your wished ahead of time.

AFM I'm hoping to deliver at home with a midwife but have a great back up OB if I happen to need to deliver in the hospital who will basically let me midwife run the show and step in just at the end to catch the baby (can't let the midwife do it because she doesn't work for the hospital so isn't covered by their liability insurance). :goodvibes:

GraceDancer
04-16-2009, 10:29 AM
At home w/midwife :thumbsup:

In my bedroom - no needles - no poking and prodding - and able to rest in my own bed w/my bundle of joy afterward!!

lilmamibella
04-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Going unassisted.:goodvibes:

negrapy
04-16-2009, 12:16 PM
no idea :blush: :hide:

Mama Bear X3
04-16-2009, 01:27 PM
planning on a midwife-run freestanding birth center, but there is a chance i'll be risked out and have to go high-tech at the hosp with a perinatologist. i'm hoping and praying not though. i've already had 2 hospital births, and i REALLY don't want that again.

Mommy2LivandNoah
04-16-2009, 02:53 PM
At home with our midwife!!

After a hospital birth and a homebirth, I can honestly say I preferred the homebirth!

beautiful8
04-16-2009, 03:02 PM
at home w/ midwife

vlinderanna
04-16-2009, 03:15 PM
hopefully at home with my midwife, she's wonderful :)

memykidsandty
04-16-2009, 03:51 PM
At home, with midwife :goodvibes:

lydiamom
04-16-2009, 04:00 PM
At home with midwife. First two were in hospital with midwife(although 2nd was waterbirth), but I'm so ready to be home this time!

At home with our midwife!!

After a hospital birth and a homebirth, I can honestly say I preferred the homebirth!

Hey, I know you!!

LifeWithSage
04-16-2009, 04:02 PM
At the only freestanding birth center in Colorado! I'm really excited! I had a hospital birth with my first and it wasn't horrible but I was very uncomfortable and look forward to being in a homey environment. If only I could have talked DH into a home birth :giggle2:

miabean
04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
now that I've gone unassisted, I could never go back!

tessa_s212
04-16-2009, 05:48 PM
hospital with dr

Mama Bear X3
04-16-2009, 07:55 PM
<--- jealous of everyone who gets to stay at home. unassisted isn't a "planned" option for me, and there aren't any hb midwives within an hour's drive.

schmoopee
04-16-2009, 08:06 PM
In hospital, planned & necessary c-section. If he doesn't decide to come earlier, he'll make his appearance May 21!!

katina128
04-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Not completely sure yet, as I'm not sure how many I'm carrying and had a increased chance of twins due to the injectible drugs. But, I'm hoping to birth at a birth center this time. I could never homebirth. Not in a million years. I'm too much of a chicken spaz.