PDA

View Full Version : IUI questions Updated 8-18

spurk5532
04-21-2009, 01:29 PM
So this summer I am planning to do IUI with donor sperm. I have been trying to research it a little and haven't really come across many websites or books on the topic that have given me much information. I was wondering if there were any mommas who might have gone through the process before that might have some advice or information. I don't really matter to me if you used donor sperm or not because my questions are mainly about the process and different options with meds and stuff.

update 8-18-09
I figured I would update this thread since someone recently had asked me about my appt. Well I went to the appointment on July 31st. The appointment went well but I went into it with a very different focus. In the days leading up to my appointment a lot of stressful things began to happen. I realized that I am not quite ready to have another baby. This was not an easy choice to come too and I am still sad about it but I know it was the right choice for me right now. I still went to my appointment because I know this is still something that I will most likely eventually do. I just think I need more time to grieve and heal from the loss of my husband.

Melmonkey
04-21-2009, 02:02 PM
What in all do you want to know about IUI? I can try to answer as many questions as I can:thumbsup:

spurk5532
04-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Well I guess I am just curious about all the med options like clomid and injectibles and the possibilities of having multiples. Or even if there is a good resource or book to turn to for questions.

Melmonkey
04-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Well I guess I am just curious about all the med options like clomid and injectibles and the possibilities of having multiples. Or even if there is a good resource or book to turn to for questions.

Well, Clomid is the first thing that they will start you on, you may even do 6 cycles of clomid before going on to any injects.
Injects are not fun at all......I know, and my butt and belly can write a book on it the pain that they had to endure......
What you hope is that you do not have to turn to injects and you are successful with clomid.

Multiple risks are there, you are taking ovulation inducing drugs....which will cause you to produce multiple follicles, that being said, not evey follicle produces an egg, and not every one of the eggs will be fertilized. Not every feritlized egg will implant for that matter. Now, you do have higher odds of HOM then with IVF, as there is not as much control with IUI, it is get 3-4 follies and see what happens, hopefully no more than 2 fertilize...but there is a show on TV that proves that this is not always so.....you know Kate did IUI with both pregnancies and here she has 8.
As with any fertility drug, multiples are a risk that you will have to understand and they can happen.
Feel free to ask any more questions, if you need to PM me.....:thumbsup:

bluechicken
04-21-2009, 07:16 PM
What do you mean by injectibles? You aren't talking about the shot you give yourself before an IUI are you? Or do you mean that you may go 6 months with just clomid before doing an IUI? Sorry, was that too many questions? Oh, there was another. I assume you mean something else because clomid didn't work, so the next step is an injectible drug. (Not sure why my brain just quit working. Thanks.)

Melmonkey
04-21-2009, 08:29 PM
What do you mean by injectibles? You aren't talking about the shot you give yourself before an IUI are you? Or do you mean that you may go 6 months with just clomid before doing an IUI? Sorry, was that too many questions? Oh, there was another. I assume you mean something else because clomid didn't work, so the next step is an injectible drug. (Not sure why my brain just quit working. Thanks.)

Yes, injectible fertility drugs are the next step you take if clomid did not work for you and the IUIs
Injectible fertility drugs are ones you inject yourself befor the IUI, meaning from CD 2 or 3 until you are told to trigger. Does that make sense....:headscratch:
What I mean by clomid for 6 months is exactly that you do clomid and IUIs for 6 tries and then go on to stronger meds.

jacquelinemarie82
04-21-2009, 08:51 PM
IUI is mostly likely our next step. Just saw an RE earlier this month and awaiting some test results but that looks to be our best bet. Subbing.

abbycadabby
04-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Your options are really going to depend on what your particular Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE) wants to do. You'll go through a battery of blood tests, and an ultrasound, at the least. The blood tests and ultrasound will tell your RE how your egg quality, and whether you're ovulating with adequate luteal phase. If you are ovulating ppperfectly (and I mean, perfectly), there is a chance that your RE might have you do an IUI without any drugs to induce ovulation. I say "a chance", because some REs don't believe in doing this even if you are ovulating perfectly. I think they feel like they can't control the timing as well without medication. So they will likely start out with clomid (because injectables are more expensive, and carry a higher risk of multiples). You will start out by doing a cycle day 3 ultrasound and blood work, they will count your antral (tiny) follicles. You might have ultrasounds and estrogen blood draw as often as every 2 days, until a follicle reaches 18-19 mm. Then you'll do a trigger shot, which is composed of recombinant-HCG. Within 2-3 days after that, you'll have your IUI. You shouldn't have any restrictions after that IUI.

If you don't get pregnant with a few cycles of clomid/IUI, you might move on to injectables/IUI. But, injectables are more expensive and carry a higher risk of multiples and OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, very painful and dangerous).

lol... I hope that answers some questions! Sorry so long.

spurk5532
04-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Thanks so much and I guess keep it coming cause I am still so curious. I guess I should give you a little background on my situation. I actually don't have any problems with fertility. Everytime I have tried to get pregnant I did on my first try. The reason I am looking at IUI is because my husband passed away in October and I really have felt that I am meant to have more kids and not just that but be pregnant again. I do have pretty extreme endometriosis that has cause and ectopic pregnancy in the past. My OB thinks that IUI will be pretty successful with me because I don't have much problems getting pregnant. The problem with waiting to see if I ever get remarried or not is that my endometriosis is only going to get worse and my OB thinks that I may not be able to get pregnant even say 2 years from now. So anyway this is why I am kinda nervous about clomid and multiples. Because I don't seem to have much of a problem getting pregnant I fear that I might have a higher chance for multiples and I am a single momma now. My sister has identical twins and I think that with the support around me I could definately handle that but I don't know about triplets or more. Thanks for all your help and like I said keep it coming

jacquelinemarie82
04-22-2009, 09:00 PM
You might do some research on twins...I thought only fraternal twins were hereditary. I am an identical twin. The chance of a twin having twins is increased but I have heard only if you are a fraternal twin because fraternals is what runs through the genes.

Good luck to you mama! Like I said I may also be doing my first IUI this summer/fall so sounds like we may be doing this together.

spurk5532
04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah identical are not hereditary so I am not worried about that so much as the fact that I get pregnant so easily. My fear is that if I take clomid and I release more than one egg that I have a high risk of both of them being fertilized. It sounds like we will be going through it at the same time. It will be nice to know someone doing the same thing we will have to stay in contact so we can support eachother.

jacquelinemarie82
04-22-2009, 10:36 PM
I'll definitely post in the TTC when I figure out for sure if and when our IUI will happen. We are still going through a sperm profile (more in depth than a sperm analysis) and testing for possible thyroid problems. I tested normal on my hormone levels but they are re-doing that testing as well. I should find out all that this week or next and then wait another week for the SP results THEN have another appt and get going with IUI plans. So far my RE has not mentioned clomid at all....I think he might try the shot first. We are possibly dealing with a "pure male factor". I have mixed thoughts on clomid anyway....well I will def post when I find out more. ;) btw, my RE did not express any concerns about clomid/iui/etc with reference to me being a twin. I am an identical and my twin is having her second baby so that also gives more evidence to support the possibility of a pure male factor.....all my tests come up with good results, I'm ovulating, normal periods, good health/weight, no miscarriages, no endo. or any other disease or sickness whereas my dh is coming up negative on his tests. Those little swimmers don't want to move and don't want to do their job. :)

spurk5532
04-22-2009, 10:47 PM
jacquelinemarie82 so you said that you might first go to the shot and that you have mixed thoughts about clomid. Why is that? I'm really curious about all the meds since I haven't met with my RE yet and can't ask him.

kelly_jeanie
04-22-2009, 10:49 PM
That's so interesting that most REs will do drugs to induce ovulation, whether or not you do it on your own! I didn't know that.

Abby's description is really good. I'll just add that the IUI itself is no worse than a vaginal exam. They use the speculum and some sort of catheter to insert the sperm. Many doctors will have you rest on the table with your feet up for a few minutes or more. My doctor actually did 2 IUIs within a day or so of each other just to be certain; not all doctors do this.

jacquelinemarie82
04-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Well when I said shot I meant trigger shot to force ovulation. The RE said I would get the shot and then come in and do the IUI within a certain amount of time from the shot. So I wouldn't have to do cycle after cycle of clomid with all of it's side effects. I may end up on clomid after all...we'll see. But right now, there would be not specific reason to do clomid since it looks like it just may be an issue on DH's side. The shot would be just so that they could know for sure when I ovulated and not run any risk of missing my regular ovulation time.

bluechicken
04-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Well, AF came today. That means that if the u/s tomorrow (?) goes well I'll be doing an IUI this month. The nurse yesterday mentioned that the doc might want to do two IUIs or one IUI and a timed intercourse or just one IUI. This was the first I had heard of it, but DH seemed up for doing two IUIs as it would probably increase our odds. I'll let you know how my experience goes, if this happens this month. We were supposed to start last month, but the u/s saw fibroids so we(I) had to have an x-ray done. There turned out to be no issue and in the end I am actually glad for the delay because it has given me time to get used to the idea of meds and an IUI.

Kelly, thanks for the reassurance that the prodecure is no worse than an exam. I'm okay with pain, or think so till it happens, but that doesn't mean I look forward to it. I wonder why I am the one to always get poked :poke: and prodded while DH just gives a sample? :headscratch: It isn't necessarily just me who has an issue. Something seems a bit off here. :giggle: Okay, he did have to go see a doctor once, but it didn't sound all that bad.

smblake
04-23-2009, 08:53 AM
We did one IUI cycle with clomid and HCG trigger shot last late July/Aug - I am due with that little bean tomorrow :mrgreen:.

Most people have explained the process very well, I just wanted to add one thing that I wish someone would have told me.

Dh gave me my trigger shot - he did great, but soon after I had a huge welt (softball diameter) and it was hot and very tender to the touch. We were both freaked out about infection at the injection site, but turns out - it is a completely NORMAL reaction. SO... if that happens to you, don't worry :hugs:

Best wishes to all in this journey :hugs:

Just wanted to add one more thing - we did an IUI/clomid/trigger cycle to help increase chances of a healthy ovulation, we had suffered 3 m/cs in a row after having ds1. Infertility, whether it be primary or secondary is no easy road to travel :hugs:.

3Daisies
04-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Your post caught my eye when I came to the TTC forum and I wanted to share my experience with IUIs but first I am so sorry your husband passed away. I hope that you are doing okay. :hugs:

Our experience may be similar to yours in that we are completly unexplained. After 7 yrs there has not been one thing come up that explains why we can't conceive. (Very maddening!) So, because I ovulate every month my RE never had me do Clomid (I did unmonitored BD cycles of clomid with my OB but that's different), I started out with natural, no meds, IUI. When my OPK showed impending O, I made my appt to go in for the IUI the next day. I did 3 IUIs and all 3 BFN. I asked my RE if I could begin a Clomid cycle as my next step and surprisingly she told me that because I O on my own that would be a waste of $, that that drug is actually meant for ppl who don't O. So off to the injectibles we went, which take a bit to get used to but really aren't bad at all. I've done IUI's with 4-5 possible mature follies and still BFN, but then again we have a history of infertility. With your fear of multiples, just tell them up front you'd like to do an IUI with no more than 2 mature follicles and they'll adjust the meds dosage accordingly to make sure you ovaries don't produce more.

Don't be surprised if the RE recommends going straight to injectibles, even with no history of IF and using donor sperm. I've known a lesbian couple who used donor sperm who IUIs didn't work and they eventually got preggers thru IVF.

But you are on the right path! Exciting times ahead and it's not at all scary as it first seems, once you get going. Best of luck to you!

bluechicken
04-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Have you looked into Evening Primrose oil and Flax seed oil? It doesn't deal with ovulation, but might help your CM be more welcoming. I haven't tried them yet because I didn't know about what to use till this past month and we have already been trying for a while so were starting the clomid/iui route. When we get ready to try again (for #2?) or if an IUI doesn't work then I want to try the EPO.

spurk5532
04-23-2009, 04:20 PM
thanks you all so much. Gosh I am learning so much. I can't wait to meet with my RE now to find out what he is going to do. It sounds like there are so many different options or paths to take. I will definately keep you all posted. I love hearing all your stories and I feel less alone. I don't really have anyone to talk with about this because I don't know anyone who has gone through it before so thank you. It seems like everyone's journey has been different just like every pregnancy is different.

spurk5532
04-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Have you looked into Evening Primrose oil and Flax seed oil? It doesn't deal with ovulation, but might help your CM be more welcoming. I haven't tried them yet because I didn't know about what to use till this past month and we have already been trying for a while so were starting the clomid/iui route. When we get ready to try again (for #2?) or if an IUI doesn't work then I want to try the EPO.

So what exactly do primrose and flax seed oil do?

bluechicken
04-23-2009, 08:15 PM
From http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/epo.html after searching the phrase 'evening primrose infertility':

"Evening Primrose Oil or EPO lowers cholesterol, helps to alleviate premenstrual syndrome symptoms and aids in the production of fertile quality cervical fluid."

and

"Evening Primrose Oil or EPO should only be taken from menstruation to ovulation . . . Since essential fatty acids are necessary, you can take flax seed oil in place of Evening Primrose Oil or EPO after ovulation." I added the emphesis. It can cause cramping, which is why you shouldn't taking it after O.

kelly_jeanie
04-23-2009, 08:23 PM
When doing an IUI the quality of the cervical fluid isn't an issue. In fact, that's one of the reasons for doing an IUI when taking medications that help with ovulation, to bypass the hostile cervical fluid that can be caused by those medications.

I imagine the EPO wouldn't hurt, but just wanted to let you know.

3 ladybugs
04-24-2009, 05:58 AM
If I were you I would be tempted to do IVF. That way you don't waste your DH's sperm and you can have the best chance at pregnancy. Especially if you are afraid of multiples. The only reason why I went to IVF was to control how many children I had at once! You could put back as little as one embryo at a time with IVF greatly reducing your odds of having mulitples (as identicals with IVF are just as rare as in the normal population assuming you don't have any other fancy procedures with IVF like assisted hatching).

ETA Oops! I read that wrong I thought you had some sperm from your DH. :blush: I still would do IVF or a natural IUI cycle (no medication) if I were you. That is the best chance at not having multiples though it still can happen.

Good luck!

jacquelinemarie82
04-24-2009, 06:04 AM
The op said she is going to use donor sperm. Personally I would not cut back to one embryo if I was doing IVF. It is just so expensive that I would use a minimum of 2 embryos and I would not do selective reduction. That is jmo though. Yes, that might result in multiples but it would also be two chances to have a baby rather than just one and I feel the "risk" of multiples is worth it due to the cost of the procedure. I actually consider multiples not a bad thing since I am a twin.

bluechicken
04-24-2009, 08:50 AM
When doing an IUI the quality of the cervical fluid isn't an issue. In fact, that's one of the reasons for doing an IUI when taking medications that help with ovulation, to bypass the hostile cervical fluid that can be caused by those medications.

I imagine the EPO wouldn't hurt, but just wanted to let you know.

Good point. Thanks for pointing that out.

spurk5532
04-25-2009, 01:49 AM
I wish I had dh's sperm. We didn't have a chance to get any because he was put on steriods and anti-seizure meds immediately after being diagnosed with a brain tumor. Also he was admitted to the hospital 3 days after diagnosis and started chemo and radiation. We spoke about me having more kids and that was his wish for me. So I feel very good about going this route. I don't think I will do IVF because of the costs and because I am a good candidate for IUI since I don't really have any major fertility issues except endometriosis which has caused an ectopic pregnancy in the past. Also I am concerned about multiples but not to worried. I definately know I could handle it I actually worry more about the pregnancy aspect since I am a single mom now. I know in the long run if I was put on bed rest I would be okay and have a ton of support but it is still scary to think of. Actually if I did have twins it would be kinda fun since my sister has twins and two of my cousins also have twins.

spurk5532
05-05-2009, 10:57 PM
So I just wanted to let you all know that I got my appt. With my RE today and it is for July 17. They said they would be sending me out a packet for me to look over and a questionaire to fill out and return. I am so excited I can't believe this is happening. I finally feel like things are beginning to get better since my dh's death. I miss him so much and know he would be so happy right now to see what is going on. Thanks again for all your support.

3 ladybugs
05-06-2009, 09:03 AM
So I just wanted to let you all know that I got my appt. With my RE today and it is for July 17. They said they would be sending me out a packet for me to look over and a questionaire to fill out and return. I am so excited I can't believe this is happening. I finally feel like things are beginning to get better since my dh's death. I miss him so much and know he would be so happy right now to see what is going on. Thanks again for all your support.

Congratulations on getting the appointment. :yay: I do have to say though that I am soooo glad that I live in the state with the most RE's per capita. I don't have to wait that long to see mine! :yikes: Was that the soonest you could be seen or was it just then that your schedule worked out? :headscratch:

Melmonkey
05-06-2009, 09:32 AM

YAY for an appt!!!!!:lostit: and YAY for finally feeling better since losing your dh:hugs:

spurk5532
05-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Congratulations on getting the appointment. :yay: I do have to say though that I am soooo glad that I live in the state with the most RE's per capita. I don't have to wait that long to see mine! :yikes: Was that the soonest you could be seen or was it just then that your schedule worked out? :headscratch:

It was a little bit of both. As far as I know there aren't very many REs in my area. Also I was referred to my RE by my OB/GYN and I guess my RE is one of the best in the states so he is in high demand. Also my RE travels to Montana to do IVF's on top of his practice here in Washington. I really didn't want an appointment until this summer though so it worked out perfectly that he wasn't available till July.

MW69842
07-13-2009, 07:03 PM
I conceived with anonymous frozen donor sperm... and had an IUI done by my OB. No medications at all, except for progesterone, because of a known insufficiency.

I did everything relating to timing (charting, OPKs, fertility awareness tools, etc.) and my OB didn't even discuss medications with me until AFTER I inquired about it. I did one cycle, with Clomid, and I overstimulated and was very ill - decided it wasn't for me. :)

I did take traditional herbs/supplements (recommended by my acupuncturist) though.

Conceived with IUI #3 and my DD will be 2 next week. Am TTC #2 in the Fall.

ETA - we only used 1 vial of sperm per cycle. Timing was critical.

Aimers1
07-21-2009, 02:40 PM
So...if you['re still around, how did the appointment go?

spurk5532
07-21-2009, 03:45 PM
The appt got changed to the 31st. So I will post an update then. Thanks for asking. I hope the appt goes well.