PDA

View Full Version : 3year old periodically vomiting-PLEASE HELP

supamommy3
05-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi ladies -I have a situation. My 3 year old DD periodically vomits in the morning hours. This has really started this year since Janurary. She will also tell me consistently that her stomach hurts and she doesn't eat that well about half the time. I had made a journal of the incidents because they just didn't seem like they could all be a virus ESPECIALLY when the other two kids don't get it. The last time is was a definite virus the whole Family got it.
Anyway here is the very basic info from the journal I was keeping-ANYONE have ANY IDEAS< SUGGESTIONS< ADVICE?
She is finally going to the Dr. tom-they have been writing it off up until now.
I hate to put her on a medication but maybe she needs something daily for her tummy.
BTW-she had bad Reflux as a infant took medication(Zantac and Prevacid) until she was 1 years old.
Thanks
*Feb. 2nd-Had very bad stomach virus. Vomiting for about 24hrs 20 to 30 times. Took to the ER for possible dehydration. Gave her something to stop vomiting and it stopped it. She resumed drinking late evening/Resumed eating bland solids morning after.

*March 5th-Woke up early (7:00) and complained of tummy hurting. Came downstairs and after few minutes vomited in the bucket. Requested water/food-refused. Vomited 2 more times throughout morning. By 11:00 said felt good and no more vomiting. Played/acted fairly normal after vomiting ended.
-Started eating “regular” food by about March 7th-

***Emma has started periodically complaining about her tummy hurting. Sometimes she will say she is hungry or needs to go to the bathroom. She really doesn’t eat that well.

*March 18th-Woke up and complained of tummy hurting. Wanted chocolate milk-gave it to her. Vomited shortly after drinking some. She vomited 3 more times.
Received water/crackers around noon and kept them down. She says her tummy feels “good” after she vomits then it starts bothering her again.
-Started reg foods by March 19th night

March 20th-I have tried to start making sure that she eats a snack right before bed because she will wake us up at night to say her tummy hurts or that she is hungry.
I wonder if her tummy gets too empty sometimes at night and this causes acid build-up and pain? Does she need a medicine to help that?

I have tried giving her children’s Tums/ or a homeopathic medicine that I have for nausea/indigestion at the first sign of issue.

Why does it seem to happen during the morning?

*April 7th- Woke up at 7:00 and said that she threw up in her bucket(in her bed). Clear non smelly fluid. She wanted milk but refused. She vomited 2 more times and felt better by around noon. She seemed to be irritable but no more vomiting.
-Had normal dinner the night before.

April 29th- Woke up and vomited in the bucket-clear kind of mucousy fluid. She said that she “ate too many grapes the night before”. She acted fine- wanted milk so I gave in. She drank a few sips then vomited. She wanted to eat some brkfast-I made her toast(it had been about 1 hr since vomiting) she sat down to eat but vomited. She threw up 2 more times until 10:30 then told me she felt “good” wanted crackers and water. I gave her a little around 12:00 and she did fine. Called the doctor. They said it could be due to a cold/mucous.
-Reg. food back by Friday-

May 13th – Woke up around 6:45 said tummy hurt. Came downstairs and threw up very weird looking substance. They were almost gelatinous (actually like jelly fish material) like lumps. They were grayish/white opaque. There was no foul smell. She did that at about 7:45. Wanted crackers at about 8:45 so gave her a piece-she threw it up.
Around 11:45 said she wanted another cracker(she had been playing and acting okay-little lethargic). I gave it and about 12:20 threw up the crackers/water. Around 1:45 said that she wanted another cracker-gave it to her and kept it down.
-Had cott. Cheese, pizza, and jello night before.

-Called the doctor Appt: 11:00am Thursday May 13, 2009.

heluvsme
05-13-2009, 05:25 PM
We all had the stomach flu as well, and my 6yo had it the worst. She has vomited first thing in the morning on 2 separate occasions since the flu. Her appetite returned right away. It may just be after effects from the viurs...or maybe your dd has a hiatal hernia? Keeping a food diary is a good thing, she could be allergic to dairy, wheat, etc.

Let us know what the dr says!

diapermommy
05-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I could have written that when my son was 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does she tend to cough like she's getting strangled after going to sleep? If so I would look into her having reflux. Otherwise I would look at the constipation route.
We took ds to the drs about it, they really didn't give us any answers. I'm still not sure what it was. He is 4.5 now and hasn't thrown up in a long time. But he does still cough like he gets strangled at night after he's gone to sleep. I learned about reflux later on. He just recently learned he has a sorta on and off constipation issue. He always goes, but he goes through phases of it being difficult, we just took him in for having blood in his stools, and constipation was the culprit. So that made me wonder if it was caused from him being constipated all that time. My neice gets really bad constipated and vomits.
ETA: we also had to take him to the pedi a few times cause he would just contiually complain of his stomach hurting, never really got any answers there either. Other than, basically growing pains, I think he called it something like toddler stomach.
ds would randomly complain of his stomach hurting, but his throwing up would always be after he was alseep.

diapermommy
05-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Also she shouldn't drink milk right after she has thrown up, has a virus, fever. etc. It irratates the stomach.

They also did allergy test to make sure he wasn't allergic to something like milk or peanuts to be sure.

tallanvor
05-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Sounds like something is off in her stomach. I would have them run a panel to make sure everything is okay. I would also recommend having her take probiotics. That should help her stomach and intestines have the proper environment.

supamommy3
05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks ladies!

Does she tend to cough like she's getting strangled after going to sleep? If so I would look into her having reflux. Otherwise I would look at the constipation route.
-Yes sometimes she does cough like that. She had reflux/GERD as an infant but seemed to have grown out of it. On the constipation route-she has had occasional issues with this but not for a long while. She goes every day quite a bit(usu. only 1 time day but sometimes 2-but large amounts). Sometimes she acts like it hurts. I just don't know how to know.

Also she shouldn't drink milk right after she has thrown up, has a virus, fever. etc. It irratates the stomach.
-I try not to give her milk IF she has a fever or has thrown-up etc. She usu. gets it first thing in the morning then will throw up so.....BUT I won't give her for like 2 days afterward.

Sounds like something is off in her stomach. I would have them run a panel to make sure everything is okay. I would also recommend having her take probiotics.
-Okay I'm silly-what to look for and what are priobiotics?

ktmelody
05-13-2009, 08:52 PM
There is something called cyclic vomiting and also stomach migraines. Which are a variant of normal migraines in adults but present as vomiting in children.

My DD has cyclic vomiting with BPPV of childhood (neurological migraine variant in children) We are hoping she will outgrow it around 5/6 years old.

Check out the link and see if there is any similarities. Hope that helps. :goodvibes:

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cvs/index.htm