PDA

View Full Version : What religion/s don't believe in vaccinations?

TNEarthMama
05-21-2009, 08:42 AM
What religion does not believe in the use of vaccinations?

boy-oh-boy
05-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Jehovah's Witnesses, I believe, are one group. Totally a guess.

cm.thomas
05-21-2009, 09:00 AM
I think it really depends on your personal religious convictions. DH's parents are Jehovahs' Witnesses but they are very pro vax. I'm not saying all JW's are but DH's family is. I think they just don't know any differently. We don't tell them that we don't vax. There is nothing in the religion that tells them not to vax like they are against blood transfusions though.

eguisgirl
05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
My babysitter is a devout JW- they don't use blood products, but they do vaccinate..

emmarleigh
05-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Islam and Judaism because of dietary prohibitions.

And Im pretty sure the Vatican Curia mentioned something about seeking other options for vaccines with embryonic cell origin. :headscratch:

But I think it can be any religion that one feels the body has a natural defense against diseases, and doesnt need chemicals etc. in the body to help this process. :thumbsup:

mycdsqueaker
05-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Christian Science.

If you are asking this because of an expemption you DO NOT have to identify your religious affliation/beliefs. Putting something you are not is considered perjury if caught.

TNEarthMama
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Christian Science.

If you are asking this because of an expemption you DO NOT have to identify your religious affliation/beliefs. Putting something you are not is considered perjury if caught.

Oh no no, we have had a religious waiver for 2 years now.. I was just wondering what religions "are" against vaccinations... I knew there were a few out there, but I had never actually knew all of them...

TNEarthMama
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Is Scientology one of them???

mycdsqueaker
05-21-2009, 09:20 AM
gotcha :thumbsup:

TNEarthMama
05-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Islam and Judaism because of dietary prohibitions.

And Im pretty sure the Vatican Curia mentioned something about seeking other options for vaccines with embryonic cell origin. :headscratch:

But I think it can be any religion that one feels the body has a natural defense against diseases, and doesnt need chemicals etc. in the body to help this process. :thumbsup:

Judaism! I did not know that! My step dad was Jewish.

emmarleigh
05-21-2009, 09:33 AM

Gelatin (by-product of pig skin) is used in vaccines as a heat stabilizer. The vaccines containing gelatin are mmr, chicken pox, flu, dtap. And in Judaism the pig is considered unclean. :)

TNEarthMama
05-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Gelatin (by-product of pig skin) is used in vaccines as a heat stabilizer. The vaccines containing gelatin are mmr, chicken pox, flu, dtap. And in Judaism the pig is considered unclean. :)

Yup, I remember eating only "kosher" stuff... In our house growing up, I remember when my mom married him, I was upset cause we could not have pork anymore... This coming from a prior vegetarian.. LOL... Now I'm going back to being a vegetarian again..

petunia_2007
05-21-2009, 10:09 AM

Judaism is not anti-vaccine whatsoever. Not even the orthodox. Pretty much every Jewish sect is also pro stem cell research.

Pyrodjm
05-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Actually, Jehovah's Witnesses do not as a religion have a stance on practice of vaccination (unlike blood transfusions, which our against our beliefs). Vaxing is considered a "conscience matter" meaning each member is expected to decide what to do based on their own conscience and there is no "wrong" decision. IME, most Witnesses do vax.

emmarleigh
05-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Yes some scholars in judaism and islam have said that the transformation of pork products into gelatin alters them enough to be given non-orally. Therefore in the form of vaccines, suppositories, creams, ointments. But I think like pp poster mentioned with JW. There is no right or wrong answer and you do what you think is right as a parent, based on the guidelines of your religion. :goodvibes:

GEM Cloth
05-21-2009, 10:37 AM

That is incorrect. Medical treatments are completely optional for Jehovah's Witnesses. We do not accept blood transfusions, completely different issue, because of scriptural principals. Everything else is up to the individual person/family.

hac1224
05-21-2009, 10:49 AM
We don't vax for religious reasons, but it's completely a personal belief....not at all influenced by our denomination. We are Baptist, and I only know of 1 other non-vaxing family in our church but several who selectively vax.

EarthMum
05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Is Scientology one of them???

Yes

picklesmama
05-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Judaism is not anti-vaccine whatsoever. Not even the orthodox. Pretty much every Jewish sect is also pro stem cell research.

Yep, I was a nanny for years to a little Jewish girl, she had Canavan Disease, and all their family and friends were most definitely for stem cell research, we even fundraised for it. She and her siblings vaccinated.

I thought gelatin was from cow's hooves. eta Just googled and huh, yet another reason to be grossed out by gelatin :p

MoreThanApplesauce
05-21-2009, 02:37 PM
i believe that the Amish and Menonite communities do not vax.

katiematie
05-21-2009, 02:47 PM
The Catholic religion opposes vaccines with aborted fetal tissue since they are against abortions (such as the mmr vax, Hep A, chicken pox vax, rabies and a few others). I think everyone else covered the other religions that oppose vaccines. BTW, if for some reason this is for an exemption, it can be your own personal religious beliefs that keep you from vaxing, you dont have to belong to an organized religion thats against vaccines.

katiematie
05-21-2009, 02:52 PM
That is incorrect. Medical treatments are completely optional for Jehovah's Witnesses. We do not accept blood transfusions, completely different issue, because of scriptural principals. Everything else is up to the individual person/family.

if you dont accept blood transfusions, then how is accepting blood in vaccines different (there is animal and/or fetus blood/tissue in every single vaccine). Not arguing at all, im just genuinely curious. I dont know much about the blood transfusion principles which is why im asking :goodvibes:

TNEarthMama
05-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks ladies, I think all my questions have been answered :) and clarified...

This question was more out of personal enlightment...