PDA

View Full Version : TTC, pregnancy, and breastfeeding

proudmama4
05-21-2009, 10:33 AM
I posted this in the breastfeeding forum, and didn't get any response, so I will post here too.

Any advice? Next month we will officially be TTC (trying to conceive). I am still breastfeeding, and hope to continue at least until January, when DS turns 2. I have struggled to keep weight on while bfing DS (no hate mail please). I already drink 1 ensure a day. (I gained 40 lbs while pregnant and lost 50 lbs by 6 months postpartum) How can I keep myself and a future baby healthy while still breastfeeding my son? Anyone ever see a nutritionist about healthy way to gain/maintain weight?

And I know, I may not get pregnant right off, but I like to have my ducks in order and be ready with a game plan.

I'm trying to get into the habit of having a fruit yogurt smoothie w/ some peanut butter/protein powder and spinach added to it. Any other ideas on how to make an everyday recipe w/ added nutrients/calories?

MommaRhi
05-21-2009, 10:59 AM
while breastfeeding you should be consuming an additional 500 calories a day at least. Are you doing that?

proudmama4
05-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Yes, but it's not the most healthy 500 calories, I'll admit. Can you say "ice cream?"

zariah
05-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I would read the "Adventures of Tandem Nursing" - it offers a lot of information regarding being pregnant while nursing. You might also talk with your doctor or the midwife you plan to go to.

I am currently 28 weeks prego and breastfeeding my 2 year old - no problems at all!

Good luck to you mama!

MinkaK
05-21-2009, 04:23 PM
I am 20 weeks pregnant and am still nursing my 19m old with no problems. The smoothie sounds like a good idea but to me it would be a pain to clean a blender everyday. I recommend eating good snacks, I try to have 2-3 snacks a day. I like to have a protein to help make me full longer- cheese, cottage cheese, peanut butter, nuts, sliced turkey/chicken. I just had my evening snack- yogurt with wheat germ, 1 oz of cheese and a handful of trail mix

trippsmom
05-21-2009, 05:49 PM
I didn't have any problems maintaining some of the weight I gained while pg with ds. I held around 10-15lbs ( a dress size). Now that I am pregnant, weight has melted from my body. Not a huge problem in my book since now I'm able to fit in ALL my maternity clothes from ds just like when I bought them 2 years ago. I'm growing in the middle, but my legs, face and arms are losing. People at work that don't know I'm pregnant keep telling me I'm losing weight. My pants are getting saggy everywhere but the waist and my shirt is big on me. I talked to the ob about it last month because I lost 12 lbs in 4 weeks. He suggested keeping a food journal with calorie intake and once I've noticed a routine in my daily intake he wanted me to add 500 MORE calories. I don't just eat healthy foods either. Right now, fried bologna sandwich with a good amount of real mayo and about an ounce of colby cheese. :blush: