PDA

View Full Version : What to bring to a freestanding birth center?

StaceyS
05-24-2009, 05:33 PM
I am only 17 weeks, so plenty of time to think on this one, but just curious.
I am an avid homebirther but since I can't this time (long story), we are going to birth in a freestanding birth center. By law we only have to stay for 4 hours. Any idea on what I need or may want to bring?
I'm sure my MW will give me a list later on, but like I said, just curious. :giggle:

Mama Bear X3
05-24-2009, 06:15 PM
i'm planning a birth center birth this time around as well, and i alreayd have a "suggested" list- but the birth center i'm gonna be in also has a "store" where they have certain herbs and products. they sell a prepacked birth bag or you can buy individual supplies or bring your own from other places... it looks like it'll be most cost-effective for us just to buy the ready to go bag... my list is on my notebook in the car, so i can't look it up right now, but i can grab it later...

EricaLynn
05-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Ok this post reminds me I have to ask.... what is diffrent between a birth center and a free standing birthcenter?

angelmama1209
05-25-2009, 07:26 AM
My list included: 1 pk. Depends (for when your water breaks), 2 pks. XL chux pads, 1 pk. Thermacare heat wraps, something comfortable to labor in, something for after the birth, 4-5 pairs of undies, a sports bra or t-shirt for the tub, comfortable walking shoes. Food- Gatorade, ginger ale, healthy snacks with protein. For baby- blankets, socks, t-shirts, sleepers, a going home outfit, diapers, hats, car seat. At my BC also, if you have insurance, then you are responsible for getting the Vit. K and eye drops.

I also packed toiletries, camera and cell phone.

cowgirl76
05-25-2009, 07:54 AM
:popcorn:

Great question Stacey! I'll be subscribing to this thread as I'm also planning a birth at a free-standing birth center.

For the pp: the difference between a birth center and free-standing birth center is a regular birth center is attached to a hospital, but free-standing birth centers are not.

Mama Bear X3
05-25-2009, 03:33 PM
okay- lookin at my paper, the prepacked kit has:
2 pks (15/pkg) underpads (chux)
1 pkg (12) super overnight sanitary pads
6 pullup extra absorbant underwear
6 newborn dipes
4 breast pads
and it comes in a tote bag
doing your own you could obviously replace the dipes and use mamcloth for the pads. imo i'd keep w the chux for sure- they come in handy for other stuff...

StaceyS
05-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks girls.
I do know they have and supply depends and pads there.

jessica_lizette
05-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Let's see...in addition to what's already been mentioned, I brought:
-My camera
-An ice pack belt thing for back labor pain
-CD's (music, not diapers) :giggle:
-My birth ball (my bc had one, but I'm tall and use a bigger one. There's was pretty small).
-Massage oil

I know there was a lot more, but I can't remember.

Mama Bear X3
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Let's see...in addition to what's already been mentioned, I brought:

-My birth ball (my bc had one, but I'm tall and use a bigger one. There's was pretty small).

ohh, good idea. i forgot to ask what size the ones they have there are ( i think they have one for each birth room plus an extra, but they might all be the smaller size. i'll ask at my next appt what size they are. i *think a 65cm one would be right for me (5'11 ish)

Mama Bear X3
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
i'm also taking a bathing suit top (tankini) to wear while laboring- hopefully in the birth tub, lol.