PDA

View Full Version : I need help getting started...

RedSoxFan1
12-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Hi Mamas.

I am so sick of myself. My body, to be more precise. I feel flabby, out of shape, and generally just...ugly. :cry:

I used to run, a lot. I even ran a marathon on our first wedding anniversary. Dh was a rower in college and still works out a lot; he looks terrific. He also is a bariatric surgeon and is VERY concerned about health in general. He sees every day the dangerous results of not being at a healthy weight.

He thinks I look great. I don't. I am 5'6" and probably about 155 lbs. I should lose 20 lbs. but more importantly, get myself back into exercise mode. I am getting depressed and unhappy from not getting any exercise.

The problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to work it into my day. I have 3 kids. The oldest (6) gets on the bus at 7:30 a.m. The 3 year old gets picked up for preschool at 8:45 a.m. (unless I'm driving carpool, which I do twice a week). The youngest (16 months) cosleeps and wakes up as soon as I start moving around, and then is literally underfoot all. day. long. He's very active and busy, and when I try to do a workout (Tae Bo) with him around, it's impossible. He's either getting into trouble somewhere else or trying to get under my feet. I usually do housework during his nap or take a walk outside, but it's not an "exercise" walk -- it's a "do my errands" walk. By 6:30 pm when he goes to sleep I'm so pooped I just want to sit down and read for a few minutes. And oh yeah, the baby still nurses A LOT so I feel like I am really always hungry.

I'd love to start running again but I lack a) a good place (sidewalks here not so great); b) a decent running stroller; and c) decent weather (it's COLD). I miss running though; it's the only workout I've ever done that I can do without tripping over my own feet (I'm not so coordinated and running really only requires forward momentum -- which I can usually manage) :blush:

I'd join a gym but I have no money for it.

I just seem to be confounded by logistics and don't know how to get past this inertia.

Gah. I'm venting here but I'd love any ideas. :hugegrin:

mistylaureena
12-21-2006, 08:05 AM
mam do you ahve a YMCA around you anywhere?? I went and checked it out and they have so many things to work out and also progrmas you cna do with you baby...plus they have daycare to so you can workout while they watch your Baby and its only $1 an hour here??

plus the beutiful thing about YMCA is they go by your income, so if you have more kids and less income they adjust to compensate......Cuz Im sure you all have some mad student loans to pay back or something like that huh??

RedSoxFan1
12-21-2006, 08:17 AM
mam do you ahve a YMCA around you anywhere?? I went and checked it out and they have so many things to work out and also progrmas you cna do with you baby...plus they have daycare to so you can workout while they watch your Baby and its only $1 an hour here??

plus the beutiful thing about YMCA is they go by your income, so if you have more kids and less income they adjust to compensate......Cuz Im sure you all have some mad student loans to pay back or something like that huh??

Yes, ain't that the truth? Over $250K in med school loans. Plus medical malpractice insurance, and we pay our own health insurance. DH is only 2yrs. out of residency and we are struggling mightily. Praying every day it will get easier soon.

I don't think we have a YMCA. There's a JCC (Jewish Community Center) but it's not really close -- like a 25 minute drive. I suppose if I could find a buddy to go with me that would work, but it definitely would take up most of my morning!

We have a Curves here but there is no babysitting. Plus it's also kind of pricey.

dbuckbro
12-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Wow, I understand your dilemma and I only have one child who is not even mobile yet! I too am used to being in good shape and exercising regularly--I lead outdoor adventures for a living. I also have 20 pounds to lose still post pregnancy and am breast feeding. I'm also finishing grad school and have more loans than I want to think about.

My solution has been to carry my 20 pound baby everywhere. I refuse to use a stroller. I wear her in a sling or wrap and walk to the market, for exercise, or around the house if she is fussy. I have also talked to my hubby about my desire to lose the weight and asked him to help me not eat junk food. So, we keep it out of the house as much as possible, if we are having dessert, I cut it in half and he eats the rest, and I eat cereal or fruit for snacks. Also avoid drinking any kind of juice as it is all sugar--a trick I learned from my doctor while pregnant.

Strong will power to you during the holidays!!! Avoid those dessert tables and Merry Christmas

mistylaureena
12-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Yes, ain't that the truth? Over $250K in med school loans. Plus medical malpractice insurance, and we pay our own health insurance. DH is only 2yrs. out of residency and we are struggling mightily. Praying every day it will get easier soon.

I don't think we have a YMCA. There's a JCC (Jewish Community Center) but it's not really close -- like a 25 minute drive. I suppose if I could find a buddy to go with me that would work, but it definitely would take up most of my morning!

We have a Curves here but there is no babysitting. Plus it's also kind of pricey.

Yeah I understand that!! My brother is an eye surgeon and they have outrageous studetn loans to pay back!! On top of my SIL studetn loans!! I was shocked becasue you always assume doctors make lots od money but Ithink they have to to pay the loans:giggle: But it will eventually come and you will be living the good life..thats what I tell my brother!!

I didnt think there was a YMCA around us either until I went and looke d it up?? TUrns out they are everywhere but just not overly advertised?? I guess though if you live way out in the boondocks they might not have it??

I would try that community center..maybe give it a try for a month to see if you can work with it?? IT may take up alot of your day, but you might find yourself feeling better that you did it?? Or I also thought of somehting else have you looked around for mom groups like MOPS?? THey are usually everywhere too, where you can meet other moms and maybe you watch her kids in the latter part of teh day and she watches your for an hour or so you can work out??

Choose2bgr8
12-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Many individuals (our family included) have so much success with detoxing. It is especially benefitial for losing that weight that you just can't seem to get off.

Jenrose
12-31-2006, 10:47 PM
I'm going to start on Tuesday going to the library, putting my toddler on my back and then climbing the library stairs (2 *big* flights) until I can't. I will do that 5 days a week... it will take 5-10 minutes, is fairly intense, and will get me in shape for the 21 flights of stairs a day I will be climbing when we go on our cruise in February. I figure on day one, I'm going to get up one flight. Hopefully by the end of the week, I'll be up to 4 flights.

Choose2bgr8
01-01-2007, 04:53 AM
Oh, my uncle emailed me and told me about this Yoga program that he does 5 days per week. It is a 90 minute Yoga program in an 105 degree building. He sweats his bum off, which also detoxes his body.

He was telling me he got this book too called "NATURAL CURES 'They' Don't want you to know about" by Kevin Trudeau. He has dome almost everything in the book. He said that some of the things have been rather expensive (like the candida yeast cleanse), but it has been worth it.