PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have some advice for me??

SugarBunsWool&More
01-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm going to be a SAHM when I have #2 in June and I'm would like to begin teaching my 2 y/o things at that point, like what he'd learn in a daycare center or something.

I teach him stuff now (sorting laundry, putting dishes away, etc), but I want to start a pre-school type thing with him where he can learn from a certain cirriculum. He's a smart boy and he gets into mischief when he's bored.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to a cirriculum to follow maybe?

I've never done this before so feel free to break it down for me! TIA mamas!!

blueyed_boys
01-03-2007, 06:15 PM
http://www.letteroftheweek.com :happyclap:

SugarBunsWool&More
01-03-2007, 06:16 PM

Thank you!!

momovthree
01-03-2007, 11:16 PM
I bought some workbooks to do with the girls from Scholastic. They are older though so you'd have to check and see if they have toddler books for you to follow.

I worked in a day care and honestly the 2 year olds didn't do much that was structured. It was more just reinforcing sharing and fairness, putting their snack in front of them and telling them how many, say grapes, are on their plate. We would go over colors, saying the names of easy picture flash cards (sun, cow, ball, etc.) All of this was put into practice while they played since they don't have the attention span to sit and work on something.

mamachandi
01-03-2007, 11:23 PM
I agree with the pp. he's 2!! I don't know if he's ready yet but my 3-4 year olds love www.starfall.com
read to him,do art projects check out your local teachers store for ideas...:thumbsup:

SugarBunsWool&More
01-04-2007, 06:42 AM
I'm certainly not talking about strapping him down in a chair and making him learn calculus. :thumbsup:
The link that blueyed_boys gave me is exactly what I had in mind. If you look through it, it has activities (like making sock puppets to help pick up toys) and suggestions for learning concepts like comparing 2 objects and coloring. There are also songs, books, and ideas for bringing learning into his everyday play.
That's the kind of thing I had in mind. Just something to occupy his busy brain instead of watching TV all day.

I don't think he's too young to benefit from what I have in mind. Plus, all of it is on his terms, if he doesn't feel like doing it, no problem. KWIM?

JackieLyn
01-04-2007, 03:26 PM

that was the site i was going to suggest :)

SugarBunsWool&More
01-04-2007, 03:29 PM
:hugegrin: I love it! I'm already doing this stuff with Riley now. He loves the sock puppets and nursery rhymes.

Ruthe
01-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Hey Sarah
At two I don't think he'd have a very structured curriculum in daycare anyway. The best way to learn is by continuing what you are doing, letting him help you with vital tasks like counting all the socks in the basket, LOL. If he likes to be read to, go on outtings to the library, read a lot, do puzzles. Some kids think workbooks are fun but many don't.
One thing you can do is make homemade playdough and fingerpaint (you can also buy it but if you make it, he can help stir and measure, choose what color you will make that day, etc.) At two, tactile stuff is really fun and you can trace letters and shapes in the fingerpaints, talk about colors, mix two colors to make a third, form letters out of playdough, roll it out and cut shapes with cookie cutters, etc. If you get started doing this stuff now, and create a spot where the mess can be contained, he'll be able to do it himself a bit with a little guidance, after the baby's born.
There are good shows on TV for kids but it's better to get a few videos; the old Sesame Street alphabet and number videos are great if you can find them! I gave mine away! :banghead: The reason I like videos rather than TV is because there are no commercials (there may be promos at the beginning, you can skip those) and because when the video is done, it is done, and there's no new show coming on right after it that he will get sucked into watching.

mom2hancj
01-21-2007, 08:59 PM
I got preschool workbooks from like Sam's or Walmart when my kiddos were 3. They loved them! Writing on the magnadoodle letters and numbers. There is a book called Slow and Steady get me ready. It has awesome activities in it. I might have it and be willing to sell it....I'll look tommorrow. Discovery Toys has some great games for learning...the ABSeas Game, Counting bugs and more. Have fun!

jrk
01-22-2007, 02:18 PM
I too am interested in this. My dd is just 3 months shy of the age cut off. She won't be able to go to 3 year old preschool until she's nearly 4. She already knows so much. She gets really bored and acts out. I really need to find some activitys for her to do. (other than making messes and picking on her brother)

Choose2bgr8
01-27-2007, 06:39 AM
I like to suggest www.starfall.com (my dd taught herself to read by playing around here) and www.sandradodd.com/unschooling.