PDA

View Full Version : Doula/Childbirth/Breastfeeding Business - NAME HELP!

filiadeluna
08-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I need help naming my birth services business. I just trained with CAPPA to be a Childbirth Educator and Lactation Educator, and in a couple of weeks I am training with DONA to be a Birth Doula. I will also be offering baby and maternity photography services as an "extra".

I want a business name that is very earthy and natural sounding, but makes it obvious that this is about birth, pregnancy, breastfeeding, babies, etc. I will be doing some pro bono (free) work for teen moms. However, my paying clients will most likely be fairly wealthy b/c according to people experienced in this business in my area, most of their clients come from the wealthier surrounding towns. So I don't want to sound overly hippyish, kwim?

Also, I want something that will have a dot com available for me to purchase without having to add anything to the name, i.e. MyBusinessName.com instead of MyBusinessNameServices or MyBusinessNameTennessee.com.

TIA! :goodvibes:

rebelmommy
08-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I voted for Blissful Birth and Babies. Where in TN are you?

filiadeluna
08-03-2009, 04:28 PM
^ Thanks for the vote! :goodvibes:

I am in Murfreesboro (Nashville area).

Glorygirl
08-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Hi there! I'm also working on my DONA cert! Just some food for thought-I named my business my name-just my name. The reason was that as I was researching doula stuff, they all start sounding the same and made me want to gag even though I want to be one. Sorry, I really hope that doesn't sound terrible to you! I think the simplicity of Jane Doe, Doula sounds so nice compared to all the hippy names--and I like hippy names :) It probably doesn't matter in the least, but to me it seems more professional.

However, if you want a name, go for it! Pick a name you like best since you'll see it all the time (hopefully on those checks right?!).

Good luck in your new business!

mamadurf
08-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi there! I'm also working on my DONA cert! Just some food for thought-I named my business my name-just my name. The reason was that as I was researching doula stuff, they all start sounding the same and made me want to gag even though I want to be one. Sorry, I really hope that doesn't sound terrible to you! I think the simplicity of Jane Doe, Doula sounds so nice compared to all the hippy names--and I like hippy names :) It probably doesn't matter in the least, but to me it seems more professional.

However, if you want a name, go for it! Pick a name you like best since you'll see it all the time (hopefully on those checks right?!).

:yeahthat:

Fusion
08-05-2009, 03:32 PM

That also depends on your first and last name. I own my own massage business, but my first and last name are both horrible to spell and my last name impossible to pronounce without me spelling it out. So I picked a simple name: Fusion Therapeutics, and a simple url since some people cant spell therapeutics: roundrockfusion.com.

chloecat
08-05-2009, 03:42 PM
i have family in murfreesboro~~ i like blissful birth and babies--

Glorygirl
08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
That also depends on your first and last name. I own my own massage business, but my first and last name are both horrible to spell and my last name impossible to pronounce without me spelling it out. So I picked a simple name: Fusion Therapeutics, and a simple url since some people cant spell therapeutics: roundrockfusion.com.

Well, that's a very good point! I happen to have a pretty easy name and my website is even easier b/ I use doulawendy.com

Kiliki
08-06-2009, 01:20 PM
What about "Mother Births Babies" .... kinda sounds like "Mother Earth's Babies" ? I don't know... is that weird? lol. It just popped in my head so I thought I'd toss it out there. I personally like "Mother Birth" but I see that it has no dot com. Are you open to other suggestions besides those in your poll? I love brainstorming things like this... :giggle:

filiadeluna
08-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the opinions, ladies! I've decided to go with the name:

Blissful Birth & Babies

I decided to use the & instead of and because it looks nicer on a business card/other material. :giggle: My url will hopefully be blissfulbirthandbabies.com, though. :thumbsup:

One more week until my DONA training! :lostit: So excited!