PDA

View Full Version : I am opening my cloth diaper webstore, can other CD webstore moms help w/advice?

elemonj
08-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Ok, Hope this is in the correst forum!
I am in the process of building the website and have gotten approval from several manufacturers but I want to keep my costs down by not ordering everything they offer....For example- prefolds...I would like to stock them but there are so many sizes and bleached/unbleached..Chinese and Indian. Can you WAHMs tell me what you sell most of and what is good to stock?
Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated! TIA

elemonj
08-12-2009, 10:56 PM
bump

MamaBearTo5
08-18-2009, 02:30 PM
IDK the answers to your questions but I have a question... how do you get approval from manufacturers? To carry their items?

mollypeters
08-18-2009, 03:49 PM
op-
i only stock indians, and i sell much more of the unbleached than the bleached. i don't sell many preemies or toddlers, but do sell quite a bit of infants and premiums. i haven't been selling a lot of "expensive dipes" like fitteds, pockets and aio's, and i can barely keep my flats instock. economy, i guess. i sell a lot of dappis, but not very many wrap style covers. i have a few lines that i can't hardly give away......pm me and i'll let u know what those r...
pp....when u inquire about a wholesale account, just answer the questions....each company is different, but they all require ur state sales tax i.d., require u to sign a wholesalers agreement, and have a minimum buy-in.hth! lmk if u have anymore q's! i can try to help

jkoopmans
07-21-2010, 06:45 PM
op-
i only stock indians, and i sell much more of the unbleached than the bleached. i don't sell many preemies or toddlers, but do sell quite a bit of infants and premiums. i haven't been selling a lot of "expensive dipes" like fitteds, pockets and aio's, and i can barely keep my flats instock. economy, i guess. i sell a lot of dappis, but not very many wrap style covers. i have a few lines that i can't hardly give away......pm me and i'll let u know what those r...
pp....when u inquire about a wholesale account, just answer the questions....each company is different, but they all require ur state sales tax i.d., require u to sign a wholesalers agreement, and have a minimum buy-in.hth! lmk if u have anymore q's! i can try to help

I too would like to do this, but dont have a clue where to start! :)
How do you get the products to sell? Do you have to purchase so many (wholesale) to start? What is a state sales tax id? Any other 'rules' or legal things Id need to know about to begin?
...What brands and etc have you had success with?(Ive been trying to figure out a variety of products to sell)
Thank you so much for your help! :)

roon
07-23-2010, 07:59 AM
TBH, I don't think you're going to get a lot of people telling you the results of all the research and market testing they've spent the time on. I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but it's a lot of work to figure this stuff out so you aren't likely to get someone who's going to do it for you...

You should probably start by researching what's required to open a business in your city and state and go from there.

triplem_mom
07-31-2010, 08:37 PM
I too would like to do this, but dont have a clue where to start! :)
How do you get the products to sell? Do you have to purchase so many (wholesale) to start? What is a state sales tax id? Any other 'rules' or legal things Id need to know about to begin?
...What brands and etc have you had success with?(Ive been trying to figure out a variety of products to sell)
Thank you so much for your help! :)

Start by taking a class on starting a business. You'll create a business plan and learn all the local laws. You have to apply for a tax id. Once you have that, you can contact wholesalers. They will have a minimum order amount, usually no less than $200 for the big diaper companies. Most require a lot more. Some want to see your business plan and marketing plans. Typically the products are available at wholesale cost, about 50% off.

jkoopmans
08-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Start by taking a class on starting a business. You'll create a business plan and learn all the local laws. You have to apply for a tax id. Once you have that, you can contact wholesalers. They will have a minimum order amount, usually no less than $200 for the big diaper companies. Most require a lot more. Some want to see your business plan and marketing plans. Typically the products are available at wholesale cost, about 50% off.

Sweet! Thank you so much! :) Ive started to figure some of this out by looking around online,... I think the class idea is great though, I'll have to see what I can find! ...and for the wholesale I was planning on orders being about $200, so thats good to know!