PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about suedecloth! Alova, Moleskin, Microsuede

Rachelb823
08-15-2009, 01:44 PM
OK, JoAnne's new sales ad (starts Sunday) has all kinds of suedecloth at good discounts. What's the difference between Alova, Moleskin, and Microsuede cloths? It does say that Microsuede is polyester, so I'm thinking that'd be a wicking fabric? I'm thinking to use them in diapers, but also I'm going to make a cover for the car seat.

slimy72
08-15-2009, 03:08 PM
When I first started I was told alova is the one you wanted for diaper inners. It's the only one I've tried and yes it works. It is a wicking/stay dry layer, it absorbs nothing itself.

kia_mommy
08-15-2009, 04:53 PM
When I first started I was told alova is the one you wanted for diaper inners. It's the only one I've tried and yes it works. It is a wicking/stay dry layer, it absorbs nothing itself.

Same here, I was told alova. I love it. Washes perfectly. Even after a year, diapers look new. :goodvibes:

Rachelb823
08-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks! (and BTW Alova Suedecloth is $2.99/yard!! Woot!)

GoochyBear
04-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I am just starting to make pocket diapers. I decided to try the suede cloth for the diaper lining and PUL for the outside. Just for kicks, I poured a small amount of water on a completed diaper to see how it works ... the water just sat there, it didn't absorb :cry: Is this correct? The soaker goes in the pocket which is under the suede cloth. Am I missing something? I'm a little frustrated because I'm making these for my daughter who is expecting twins. Any ideas or suggestions??

bcarroll9494
04-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Yes - GoochyBear - I have had this problem before. Sometimes a fabric is labeled with a certain name... but isn't exactly what we need for diaper performance......For example I would use JoAnn's ALOVA but not some of the Suedecloth..... even though in the CD world those terms are kind of synonymous. Eventually I just went to the store with DDs sippy cup full of water and tested (hehehe) the lining fabrics before I bought them to be sure. Now I know which ones are OK.
Also - you may try stripping the fabric.... or your completed diapers. I got a bunch of yardage of alova from an online CD fabric retailer and after my standard prewash it was still totally repelling! Then I stripped it with the OxyVin method and it worked great. New fabric has a lot of yicky stuff in it!

BldrArch
04-07-2011, 10:51 PM
I just wanted to throw in that suedecloth and even microfleece needs some kind of compression for the liquid to get pulled through the fabric. Try your water trick again but then place your hand on the fabric. The water should then go through to the soaker layer. This even happens with "professional" diapers like BG and FB.

But it never hurts to pre wash fabric to get off any residues from manufacturing.

Sent via iPhone using DS Forum (yes, I'm that addicted)

SoniaAndreia
04-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Yes - GoochyBear - I have had this problem before. Sometimes a fabric is labeled with a certain name... but isn't exactly what we need for diaper performance......For example I would use JoAnn's ALOVA but not some of the Suedecloth..... even though in the CD world those terms are kind of synonymous. Eventually I just went to the store with DDs sippy cup full of water and tested (hehehe) the lining fabrics before I bought them to be sure. Now I know which ones are OK.
Also - you may try stripping the fabric.... or your completed diapers. I got a bunch of yardage of alova from an online CD fabric retailer and after my standard prewash it was still totally repelling! Then I stripped it with the OxyVin method and it worked great. New fabric has a lot of yicky stuff in it!

im interested in trying some of this fabric as well. but i thought i had seen it labeled in joanns as ALOVA suedecloth :headscratch:? what is the difference then between alova and suedecloth? how do you differentiate?

Rachelb823
04-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I have been using JoAnn's alova exclusively, works wonderfully. Never had a problem, & it washes so beautifully time & again. The alova is thinner & cheaper. The thicker stuff will not wick, I think. Never tried it.

BldrArch
04-08-2011, 10:21 AM
im interested in trying some of this fabric as well. but i thought i had seen it labeled in joanns as ALOVA suedecloth :headscratch:? what is the difference then between alova and suedecloth? how do you differentiate?

Alova is the "brand" so to speak. So what you're looking for IS Alova suedecloth. I think Alova also has a microsuede which I wouldn't recommend. It's almost too soft and doesn't absorb as well to pull the water through and the edges fray unless serged or zig-zagged. Whereas the suedecloth edges can be left raw. I.e. if you were doing a pocket diaper. But if you're T&T everything, than maybe that's not a big deal for you. The only thing I don't like about JoAnn's suedecloth is that they very rarely have white. :giggle:

ETA: I'm not sure that Alova is the "brand" per se, but in my JoAnn's, it's labeled as Alova suedecloth. And also there's Alova microsuede and then, I think, one other Alova fabric. Just to reiterate that they are all 100% polyester.

SoniaAndreia
04-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Alova is the "brand" so to speak. So what you're looking for IS Alova suedecloth. I think Alova also has a microsuede which I wouldn't recommend. It's almost too soft and doesn't absorb as well to pull the water through and the edges fray unless serged or zig-zagged. Whereas the suedecloth edges can be left raw. I.e. if you were doing a pocket diaper. But if you're T&T everything, than maybe that's not a big deal for you. The only thing I don't like about JoAnn's suedecloth is that they very rarely have white. :giggle:

ETA: I'm not sure that Alova is the "brand" per se, but in my JoAnn's, it's labeled as Alova suedecloth. And also there's Alova microsuede and then, I think, one other Alova fabric. Just to reiterate that they are all 100% polyester.

ok, so joanns brand of suede cloth is called alova? just like walmart brand is equate?