PDA

View Full Version : I can see why people quit at about 7 or 8 mos!

DZiNeRMoMmY
08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Before I go on no there is no danger of my quitting. However I can CERTAINLY understand wanting to at this point. My son is driving me insane when he nurses. I bought a mommy necklace for him to play with so his fingers aren't up my nose, in my hair, pinching my face, taking my shirt off or other various things. So I solved that problem but now he kicks me over and over with his legs! I tell him no and he will stop for a moment and then keep it up. With biting I think he totally makes the connection to his actions (hes only tried it twice and I said no no and set him down and he hasn't done it again) but he just looks confused when I am telling him no for this. My arm feels beat up right now *sigh* I think people quit at this point because their babies are so active and they take that as their baby doesn't need bm anymore. I can't even count how many mamas said "after 6 mos my baby wasn't interested" while I don't think thats true and that he needs mama milk for at LEAST one yr which is how long they need the bottle I won't lie...I can understand the thinking.

Sorry for the rant as my intro post over here but I am just so frustrated. ANY suggestions you all have would be greatly appreciated.

sh0rtchica
08-19-2009, 12:58 PM
:hugs: i feel your pain! DS isn't even 6 mos yet, but that's EXACTLY what our feeding sessions sound like. to get away from the kicking, i started laying him on a pillow next to me, with his feet pointed away and his head at my boob. i try to hold his hand to keep him from digging in my nose/mouth/cheeks, but i'm only having moderate success. my fear with a nursing necklace is that he is STRONG and would probably tear the thing off of me.

keep hanging in there! hopefully this phase will be over soon:)

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
All babies do this, at least all mine did..lol
my sil right now told me just what your explaining and my niece is 8 months old, I want to get sil a nursing necklace but the mama who made mine isn't available and sil really loves mine but i'm not ready to part with it:blush:
my son kept sticking his fingers up my nose or in my mouth and kicking me all the way until he weaned around 21 months old..lol

Us4&AngelCorey
08-19-2009, 01:09 PM
ugh I know, my little man kicks the heck out of me and pinches my boob the entire time, getting little pieces of skin and pinching away and it hurts so so bad. I'm waiting on teething necklaces from a coop but they are taking FORever.

Birbitt
08-19-2009, 01:52 PM
My son is only 8 weeks old but I get kicked all night long when he's nursing, I just can't wait to see what he does to me by 8 months. :) Though I have to say most of the time I look at it as a blessing because at least he's nursing which is something my older two never did!

starbuckmom
08-19-2009, 02:22 PM
My 2 are fairly quiet nursers but they get distracted so stinking easy! It just takes one noise from older brother or something from my lap top and they pop off :hairpull: I have to make sure they are really hungry before feeding them or it's a fight to keep them on.

DZiNeRMoMmY
08-19-2009, 03:53 PM
I do think it's sad though that a LOT of mamas stop nursing at this point bc thier baby isn't 'interested' anymore.

I got my nursing necklaces at www.mommynecklaces.com btw and I LOVE them. They have a clasp in the back made of plastic that is a breakaway so even if lo rips it off no worries.

Willows
08-19-2009, 05:32 PM
I have the same problem. I will say that it has gotten a lot better. Remember you are in charge so you may want to stop behavior that you do not want to continue. What seems like an annoyance may become a nursing habit. This is what I was told at a La Lache meeting where my arms where covered with bruises from DS pinching me. After that day I moved his hand each and every time, and DH helped. I was gentle but firm and kept redirecting his hand and legs. A thin blanket for him to clutch his fingers and toes in also helped. It took a couple weeks and now his pinches are more gentle caresses.

Us4&AngelCorey
08-19-2009, 05:40 PM
I have the same problem. I will say that it has gotten a lot better. Remember you are in charge so you may want to stop behavior that you do not want to continue. What seems like an annoyance may become a nursing habit. This is what I was told at a La Lache meeting where my arms where covered with bruises from DS pinching me. After that day I moved his hand each and every time, and DH helped. I was gentle but firm and kept redirecting his hand and legs. A thin blanket for him to clutch his fingers and toes in also helped. It took a couple weeks and now his pinches are more gentle caresses.

I try this and o just gets mad. I will put a thin blanket in his hand and he knows it's not my boob so he gets mad. I will keep trying because it really hurts like a little crab pinching tender skin.

Kriket
08-19-2009, 07:33 PM
I must be lucky, (or in for it) I very rarely get the pinches and kicks, occationally a toe in my belly button which I cannot stand. I get stroked and that thing where they roll their hand around in circles, like a kitten padding. It melts my heart!

I do agree that It is a commitment. Sometime I count down until he weans (like I know when that is) and other days I want him to nurse until he goes to college.

DesertRat
08-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Sometimes the only way to nurse is standing up. That way DS can't roll over while trying to stay latched on. :giggle:

craezie
08-20-2009, 10:40 PM
When I got to this stage last time, I went back to "football" style. That way you are holding his arms down and his legs are on the outside, having no way to kick you. Seems to work much better.

Calideedle
08-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Yep, all of mine have done stuff like that. My chest is currently all scratched up thanks to DS2 :giggle2: It is a phase all mine have gone through it. I couldn't imagine quitting over it though :dunno:

missemily
08-21-2009, 05:54 AM
AT night my 1yo will lay across the bed and push his legs on my DH while he is nursing. I kept pulling him back and he kept twisting back to the way he was.

karabeth05
08-21-2009, 06:10 AM
oh my gosh i LOVE this thread! i have been getting so very annoyed for the past few months :blush: and i feel terrible about it :hide: we're not quitting either, but i can definitely admit that feeding dd isn't my favorite past time right now...i try to do it when she's good and hungry, sleepy (ready to go or just woke up :giggle:), and in her room with the door closed (which is a pain because then i have to leave ds alone out in the living room :()

her favorite thing to do right now is try to scratch/pick my freckles off...and considering i have quite a few on my shoulders/arms/chest it's not fun for me AT ALL :cry: sometimes if she's being really ornery and doing the 'death roll' i'll unlatch her and swaddle her then resume :giggle:

ds was always such a sweet intent nurser and would 'knead' my breasts gently with his hands but that was about it. but the two of them are like night and day so i should have expected this i guess :giggle: crazy kids

vintagegyrl
08-22-2009, 09:10 AM
EXACTLY. I think they go thtru a phase or couple of days where they just dont want it as much. But hre we are at 12 mos. and still having growth spurts and days where she ONLY wants to nurse. I'ts confusing. But not black or white like most people think.

My DD uses a blanket & animal so we usually drape the blanket over my shoulder for her to rub and she has a puppy or kitty under the outside arm. LOL
I NEVER nurse w/o her blankie, lol, or I do get scratched.

HadassahSukkot
08-22-2009, 01:01 PM
It gets better.. but there are certainly little things that just drive you nuts between 6 and 18 months. There were the short nursing spurts... the REALLLLLY long ones, the pinching, the hand grabbing the opposite boob, exploring fingers all over your face/moving face up and down or left and right, kicking, biting... you name it.

So far, things have improved... but there are days you wonder "what in the world...?"

I try to make the connection from "Hey, you're hurting mommy" or "You are pinching, that hurts! Don't pinch" and moving hands away... and putting down if the action doesn't stop. Eventually the message gets through, but it takes persistance.

coasterofluv
08-22-2009, 01:48 PM
"I can't even count how many mamas said "after 6 mos my baby wasn't interested" while I don't think thats true..."

I think this is kind of a closed minded statement. You can't just assume that babies don't wean themselves because they do. At around 8 months of age my son was more interested in mashed macaroni and cheese and refried beans than BFing. He really wasnt interested at all and I let nature take it's course instead of being obsessive and forcing him to nurse when he really could have cared less. I mean, he would nurse for a second but then he'd turn his head and look at other things that kept his attention more and then want down. Sometimes I think mothers force their babies to nurse past the recommended age for their own personal lacking, not the child's. Of course I am hoping my baby girl nurses up to 18 months of age but if she decides to stop before then, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about it.

My opinion is, if your baby is restless while nursing and doesn't seem to enjoy it, maybe it's time to stop.

SamanthaE
08-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Ihave a 15month that is still flailing around. She is a gymnast doing all kinds of somersaults. Her favorite thing to do it feel me up on the other side while nursing. She loves to just caress it. I just enjoy it. I can only nurse her once in her life. :)

HadassahSukkot
08-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Around 8-10 months is a phase all little ones go through where "what was that?" is more important than eating or nursing... irregardless of them weaning or not.

Once they get past that, and are hitting the growth spurt again, they pay awful close attention to their milk supply, and are adamant about getting it when they want it "now".

Even at 14 months they can do that... with 3-4 solid meals and snacks between. Has nothing to do with mama wanting or needing the relationship to continue, or getting some kind of 'benefit' from nursing. It has everything to do with the infant/toddler involved

Willows
08-22-2009, 07:28 PM
"I can't even count how many mamas said "after 6 mos my baby wasn't interested" while I don't think thats true..."

I think this is kind of a closed minded statement. You can't just assume that babies don't wean themselves because they do. At around 8 months of age my son was more interested in mashed macaroni and cheese and refried beans than BFing. He really wasnt interested at all and I let nature take it's course instead of being obsessive and forcing him to nurse when he really could have cared less. I mean, he would nurse for a second but then he'd turn his head and look at other things that kept his attention more and then want down. Sometimes I think mothers force their babies to nurse past the recommended age for their own personal lacking, not the child's. Of course I am hoping my baby girl nurses up to 18 months of age but if she decides to stop before then, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about it.

My opinion is, if your baby is restless while nursing and doesn't seem to enjoy it, maybe it's time to stop.

I'm sorry but I mean no offense but I disagree with this. I do not believe their is any evidence to support a baby this age self weaning. A baby main food source should be breast milk before age 1 not macaroni and cheese or refried beans. This is a stage that's it. My DS throws food from his tray to watch it fall, squishes it his fingers, and wipes it across his tray. Babies do this because every day is learning about their environment and cause and effect. If I went with the theory, my child's distraction meant that my baby didn't enjoy food, then I should stop feeding him? I don't believe that by encouraging a child to breastfeed through a stage that you are doing it for your own selfish benefit, but maybe as a mom you know whats best for your child.

karabeth05
08-22-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm sorry but I mean no offense but I disagree with this. I do not believe their is any evidence to support a baby this age self weaning. A baby main food source should be breast milk before age 1 not macaroni and cheese or refried beans. This is a stage that's it. My DS throws food from his tray to watch it fall, squishes it his fingers, and wipes it across his tray. Babies do this because every day is learning about their environment and cause and effect. If I went with the theory, my child's distraction meant that my baby didn't enjoy food, then I should stop feeding him? I don't believe that by encouraging a child to breastfeed through a stage that you are doing it for your own selfish benefit, but maybe as a mom you know whats best for your child.

:werd:

i'm sure my 5 year old would love to eat pudding cups for breakfast, lunch, and dinner but that doesn't mean it's good for him.

sempermelfo
08-22-2009, 11:23 PM
That drove me nuts, and it was about 8 months old I was really thinking WEAN ALREADY.

So you know what I did? I would offer my breast, and if he just took it for a second, popped off and popped off and popped off, I would set him down and say "all done". And not try again for at least an hour. I would just tell myself, yes he is upset about me setting him down and not letting him nurse, but if he was hungry, he would get down to business.

Luckily that phase passed!

Calideedle
08-22-2009, 11:30 PM

:jawdrop: :thud: Wow, that is about all I can nicely say!