PDA

View Full Version : did she actually strip my membranes?

crunchymom2b
08-28-2009, 03:12 PM
The midwife today agree to strip my membranes but warned me that if I wasn't ready it could cause some pretty painful cramps that lead nowhere. I told her I was willing to take that risk. She did an exam, hardly lasted a minute, but i could feel her moving her fingers up and down, which I'm guessing was her "sweeping my membranes?" It was just so quick, I thought it would involve more? I instantly felt crampy and as soon as I went to the bathroom a ton of my plug came out. Is that how it normally goes when you get them stripped?

Crossing my fingers now!

Divalicious Mama
08-28-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't have a clue as I have never had my mebranes stripped,good luck mama.

wordmama
08-28-2009, 05:22 PM
I've never had mine stripped, but from what I understand, it's a pretty quick process. They just reach into your cervix and push your bag of waters away from your cervix in a circular motion. If they can locate and reach your cervix, it would only take a minute!

Heatherdoodle
08-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Never had it done before but it sounds like she did something. Good luck hope it works for you!!!

Bee Green Naturals
08-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Had mine done with all my kids cause they all came late!!!

And yes it can be pretty quick and not too invasive if they want it to be that way.

With DS1 I had it done at 39 weeks and didn't feel too much while it went on. At 9 days overdue she was more 'rough' and I went into labor the next day. But I was also overdue.. not sure which caused the labor.

When they move away the lining it releases the labor hormones.. a gentle pull can release some but when pulling more away aka.. being a bit more invasive.. it can release even more.

Thinking she went fairly gentle since your not further along.

jnicole
08-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Probably. I have had mine stripped with all pregnancies. Last pregnancy, my water broke 48 hrs later. You can feel "sweeping".

Good to hear some mp came out! Hope you are on your way!

JeDeeLenae
08-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Sounds like sweeping to me. Good luck. Did she say how far dilated you were?

gypsysheart
08-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Hope you get going soon