PDA

View Full Version : 2T clothes? how long can they wear?

loveskitten
09-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I am going shopping at a childrens clothes sale where clothes are 65% in my area. I don't need anything until next year when she is 24 months and then I need for winter/spring. When you buy 2T clothes, is that supposed to--in theory, depending on how they grow--work for the whole year? Forgive me, I am a first time mother and my mother had no clue...but since everything up to this month has been pretty clearly Xmonths-Xmonths I wanted to ask experienced mothers. Or would it be a waste of money to buy clothes now that she may not fit into? Is the size that...skippable? Do some skip 2T? I am too confused. Help!! :banghead:

Computermama
09-09-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm a first time mother too, so I'm not sure how much this will help you, but my DD, who rocketed through all the baby sizes in less than half the "normal time" IE she was wearing 24 mos at a year, has been in 2T for the better part of a year now. Her birthday is in October, she started fitting into her 2T stuff around Christmas time, and is still in it. And some peices she still has ample growing room. If it wasn't for the fact that her feet have magically changed 2 shoe sizes over the summer, I might not expect her to go up in size again any time soon, but I have to wonder if the shoe size change is indicitive of an oncoming growth spurt.

~Laura~
09-09-2009, 12:01 PM
It really depends on the child. If your LO has been pretty consistent with sizes, then I'd plan for her to wear the clothes for close to a year.
Both of my DC have always worn their size, ie DD is 5yo and wears a size 5/5T. They're both on the small side of the growth curve though. My DS is just getting into 2T at 2yo. I know he'll be in it until next summer.

Liddle1
09-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm a first time mom too, my son is 11 months but wearing 12-18 month and is soon to be in 2T (he already wears some 2T). If you look at the growth charts they seem to slow down a ton around this age, so I would imagine they would wear the same size clothes for at least 6 months. I say buy them if they're on sale, you can always sell them :) I would buy stuff that could be multiseasonal though, like t-shirts and pants. Nothing too warm or cold.

eileenAKAmommy
09-09-2009, 12:23 PM
My son is 2.5 years old and has been in 18/24/2T (Can wear all right now) since he was 10 months old!

ChristyHC
09-09-2009, 01:36 PM
In theory, yes. They should be able to wear 2T for about a full year. Kids really slow down in their growing about that time so they won't go through sizes so quickly. My son was in 2T for more than a full year and then continued to wear the pants for another 6 months or so, so we ended up with clothes in 2T for all the seasons.

redneckmama
09-09-2009, 02:02 PM
DD1 wore 2t from about 11-12 months to somewhere around her 2nd birthday. She has been in 3t since then and is now mostly in 4t's and she will be 3 in Dec.

katesmash
09-09-2009, 02:05 PM
My DD wears 24 months AND 2T clothes right now... we moved into that size early this year... somewhere around Feb maybe (so 15 months approx).... she's 22 months now. I can see her probably fitting these until early next year, judging by the way she's grown lately. Most 2T clothes are outgrown around 32 lbs I believe... depending on the brand.

Depening on how your LO is built, 24 months might fit better than 2T or vice versa... 2T tends to fit skinnier than 24 months for example

ETA - x months to x months is ok.. but very rarely do they fit specifically for THOSE months... DD was only in 0-3 months for her first month...

chickenmonkeybaby
09-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Jude is 4 and just got out of 2T jeans like 6 months ago. He is finally in 4T (yay for a growth spurt) but 6-12 months still fit his waist, they are just ridiculously short on him. (The pants look like shorts, the shorts look like hot pants, ugh.)

chickenmonkeybaby
09-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Forgot to say it also depends on the brand you buy. Some are way small, some are way big, and some are just right.

MW69842
09-09-2009, 02:14 PM
My DD has been wearing 2T clothes since she was 11 months old. And she's almost 26 months old now and can still wear SOME 2T, but for the most part, we're moving into 3T and some 4T, depending on style/cut.

My DD always outgrows things by height before weight (she is above the 97th% for height and has been since she was 2 weeks old :giggle:).

Rhianna'sMommy
09-09-2009, 04:18 PM
It depends on the child how long they stay in 2T clothes. DD#1 stayed in that size right at a year. DD#2 has been in 2T clothes for over a year now and has plenty of growing room still in them. She started wearing them around 10ish months because she had such a chunky tummy I needed the larger size to fit around her tummy. Around 18 months she majorly slimmed down and I had to take tucks in all her 2T stuff but she was too tall for 18 month stuff. She just turned 2 and still has growing room in her 2T stuff and I suspect barring a major growth spurt this winter she'll stay in 2T all fall/winter. I suspect for shorts at least she'll wear 2T next summer for the skinny factor but might be ready for 3T tops by then - who knows though.

loveskitten
09-09-2009, 07:49 PM
OK great thanks everyone I think I am gonna go ahead and buy! Wish me luck!

ShyDaisi
09-10-2009, 01:14 AM
I tried to buy a season or two ahead last year, and it bit me in the butt. I have clothes that I bought that by the time he was able to wear them, we were in the following season, thus either too hot or too cold for him to wear those clothes.

My son is very petite and grows pretty slowly. This summer (he is almost 29 months now) he has been wearing clothes that I had bought for him LAST summer. He is wearing 12 month shorts and 12 or 18 month shirts. One pieces have to be larger due to torso length, so generally 18 to 24 months depending on brand. I have been going through his winter wardrobe for last year. He will be able to wear most of the shirts/sweaters last year, though I am going to have to find new jeans for him -- they still fit him in the waist (12 months), but are about 1/2 an inch to an inch too short.

greek4
09-10-2009, 01:07 PM
My two year old DS wore some 2T last winter, all summer, and will still be wearing 2T pants this winter. He is 90% for height but only 25% for weight.